• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comments on OC

JWCOLT41

imported post

Comments on OC.

OK, now have a legally purchased handgun. Haven't OCd yet. My purpose was twofold: for home defense, and protection in the woods as we do a lot of hiking in the deep woods. I know I can transport the weapon, unloaded in the trunk with the ammo in a different location (correct?)to/from the hike. What about transpoting same aboard a private boat? I can't seem to find anything on that. Would that require a CPL license?

Thank you.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JWCOLT41 wrote:
Comments on OC.

OK, now have a legally purchased handgun.  Haven't OCd yet.  My purpose was twofold: for home defense, and protection in the woods as we do a lot of hiking in the deep woods.  I know I can transport the weapon, unloaded in the trunk with the ammo in a different location (correct?)to/from the hike.  What about transpoting same aboard a private boat?  I can't seem to find anything on that.  Would that require a CPL license?

Thank you.

Transporting has to be unloaded no ammunition in weapon. - magazines can be loaded, and in the same case/bag by law.

50.227c Transporting or possessing loaded firearm in or upon vehicle; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; applicability to person violating MCL 312.10(1)(g).
Sec. 227c.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.

(3) This section does not apply to a person who violates section 10(1)(g) of chapter II of Act No. 286 of the Public Acts of 1929, as amended, being section 312.10 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

AND then there's DNR Regulations:

324.40111 Taking animal from in or upon vehicle; transporting or possessing firearm in or upon vehicle; transporting bow in or upon vehicle; written permission to hunt or discharge firearm.
Sec. 40111.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not take an animal from in or upon a vehicle.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not transport or have in possession a firearm in or upon a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case, carried in the trunk of a vehicle, or unloaded in a motorized boat.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this part, a person shall not transport or have in possession a bow in or upon a vehicle, unless the bow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

(4) A person shall not hunt or discharge a firearm within 150 yards of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence, or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter, or occupant of the property.

JWCOLT41

imported post

Upon re-reading the info you supplied, it would appear there's a conflict between the State and the DNR regarding carrying a pistol aboard a motor boat. Would you care to elaborate on that?

Thanks.