• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hwy 67 Open Carry Adopt-A-Highway Litter Cleanup Saturday, Oct. 10th - Round 3

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

SAK wrote:
I'm still waiting for the Illinois State Police to get around to renewing my FOID card. Since it has since expired, if I do not receive it this week I will be unable to bring a firearm up with me. Funny thing is once in Wisconsin I can possess one, just not in my own state until my SS approval card arrives :p

What are you expected to do if your permission slip (FOID card) expires??
Do they expect you to destroy all your firearms or donate them to the nearest law enforcement agency? give away all your ammunition? Seriously??

Since you cannot even legally possess a single cartridge in Illinois (ILL-ANNOY) without a valid FIB-card. Doesn't that now make a you a felony arrest waiting to happen just by having them in your home?

It just sounds F'ed all the way around. It bugs me because a mallwart employee asked to see my ID to verify I was not from IL so I could purchase some .22LR ammunition there.

Edited to add,

What if they deny your permission slip this time around? do they storm your home with a SWAT team to collect your firearms and ammunition? I understand denials can happen for no valid reason down there.
Maybe it is time to reside in a better state??

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That was quick, I'm able to go. =) I'm trying to find some other to go too.

Here is a list of people going as I see it now...

Johnny Stiletto
AaronS
ConfederateSoul
nevinsb
BJA
pvtshultz (probable)
SAK
Mugenlude

SAK

imported post

They've gone to doors in the Shitcago area before when peoples' FOIDs expire. This may have been a few years ago - not sure if they still try to pull that crap. Wouldn't surprise me, though. I haven't heard of it happening outside of Shitcago tho.

As for me, I have in my hand a copy of the return receipt for certified mail. I don't mess around with that kind of stuff. They have a time limit - tick, tock.

I suppose I could have someone drive it to the border for me :D Go through the tolls and then I can possess it again. Might have to bring a video camera with for YouTube :dude:

gunguy2009

imported post

Hey Everyone, My name is Todd. I am from Beloit, WI. I am fairly new to this Open Carry at meetings. And I see you have a Adopt-a-highway event, and I dont want this to sound dumb, lol, but are the weapons to be loaded or unloaded?? I would Imagine Loaded, but I dont wanna get there and have any Issues, thats all. Thank you...

SAK

imported post

While open carrying on land (not in a vehicle!) like this weekend's event, you can have the gun loaded. I carry loaded, and I imagine everyone else does too. Gun's not gonna be much good if it's unloaded ;) Only guy I know who doesn't is named Barney

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gunguy2009 - Welcome to the board! :cool: As SAK stated, we carry during the clean-up as we normally would. It's a 2 mile stretch of highway, so people will have to unload/encase and drive to certain points on the road. It is up to you how you want to carry, but if it's not loaded it might as well be a rock.

Personally, I always carry with a round in the chamber. That is how I train, so that is how I carry.

Updated list...
1. Johnny Stiletto
2. AaronS
3. ConfederateSoul
4. nevinsb
5. BJA
6. pvtshultz (probable)
7. SAK
8. Mugenlude
9. rickrich
10. gunguy2009

AaronS

imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
Hey Everyone, My name is Todd. I am from Beloit, WI. I am fairly new to this Open Carry at meetings. And I see you have a Adopt-a-highway event, and I dont want this to sound dumb, lol, but are the weapons to be loaded or unloaded?? I would Imagine Loaded, but I dont wanna get there and have any Issues, thats all. Thank you...

Welcome,

No dumb questions at all. To load or not is up to you. If I carry, I load it, but you do not have to, if you dont want. You could just pop the mag. in the gun, and not rack the slide... Makes it slower if you need it, but faster to return it to your car... All up to you.

gunguy2009

imported post

It would be great to Attend this cleanup, Its my first time at an Open Carry Event... Any Tips or Advice?? Do I need a reflective vest or anything? Loaded or Unloaded handgun, does it matter?

gunguy2009

imported post

Does anyone know if you are allowed to carry in a store like Walmart? Menards? I read both. Not sure which is correct... Or is it not allowed to carry into a public building?

Sajuuk

imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
Does anyone know if you are allowed to carry in a store like Walmart? Menards? I read both. Not sure which is correct... Or is it not allowed to carry into a public building?

Menards and Walmart are private businesses, so it is okay to carry. "Public" I believe is meant to be considered government buildings owned by the public, ie taxpayers.

Anyway, btw, I'll be at the cleanup as usual, with Sayadina.

AaronS

imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
Funny you bring Walmart up. I just had to pick some stuff up for a friend. Went to the Walmart on 60th and Capitol Dr. in Milwaukee. Not only was my OC not a problem, the manager saw me and asked me about 30 min. of questions about the laws (he wants to carry I think). Handed out a flier again, and had a good trip. He told me that Walmart should not be calling the cops on us anymore, because ALL Wisconsin Walmarts have been informed that OC is legal...I guess we will see...

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
It would be great to Attend this cleanup, Its my first time at an Open Carry Event... Any Tips or Advice?? Do I need a reflective vest or anything? Loaded or Unloaded handgun, does it matter?
Glad to have you join us. Vests will be provided so you don't have to worry about that.

I'll just copy over my post from the last event regarding things to consider bringing along:

Johnny Stiletto wrote:
I just want to remind anyone who took their vests home with them the last time to try to remember to bring them back for this time around. That way, we should have enough vests for about 30 people.

Also...
A few things to consider bringing to the clean-up would be:

Gloves (These are a must! I do still have some cheap-o gloves for anyone who needs them)
Trash Poker (Build your own, they come in handy if you don't like constantly bending over)
Water
Pants (Ticks!)
Suntan lotion
Bug Spray
Folding chair (If you plan to stay for the potluck)
Gun (Obviously :quirky)

Be sure to watch the [font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]Adopt-A-Highway Safety Training Video if you haven't done so already:
http://media1.wi.gov/DOT/Viewer/Viewers/ViewerVideoOnly.aspx?mode=Default&peid=c9049406-56c7-4515-8fbd-a06164d1a862&pid=e186416d-f429-4627-9c54-82d4c48dbe73&playerType=WM7#

Can't wait, see you there!
[/font]
[/font]
Yes, I quote myself often. :) Does anyone plan on bringing a grill this time around for a cookout?

gunguy2009

imported post

Johnny Stiletto wrote:
gunguy2009 wrote:
Glad to have you join us. Vests will be provided so you don't have to worry about that.

I'll just copy over my post from the last event regarding things to consider bringing along:

Johnny Stiletto wrote:
I just want to remind anyone who took their vests home with them the last time to try to remember to bring them back for this time around. That way, we should have enough vests for about 30 people.

Also...
A few things to consider bringing to the clean-up would be:

Gloves (These are a must! I do still have some cheap-o gloves for anyone who needs them)
Trash Poker (Build your own, they come in handy if you don't like constantly bending over)
Water
Pants (Ticks!)
Suntan lotion
Bug Spray
Folding chair (If you plan to stay for the potluck)
Gun (Obviously :quirky)

Be sure to watch the [font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]Adopt-A-Highway Safety Training Video if you haven't done so already:
http://media1.wi.gov/DOT/Viewer/Viewers/ViewerVideoOnly.aspx?mode=Default&peid=c9049406-56c7-4515-8fbd-a06164d1a862&pid=e186416d-f429-4627-9c54-82d4c48dbe73&playerType=WM7#

Can't wait, see you there!
[/font]
[/font]
Yes, I quote myself often. :) Does anyone plan on bringing a grill this time around for a cookout?
For the Potluck, Do I bring couple pkgs of brats or something? Thank you all for being more than helpful to answer any questions I have. What size vests do u have? 3X? Hope to see u all at the event!

ConfederateSoul

imported post

Sounds like this is turning out to be quite the event! I'll have to see about building a trash poker this week...

ConfederateSoul

imported post

Sounds like this is turning out to be quite the event! I'll have to see about building a trash poker this week...