• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Air travel with your sidearm

Kildars

imported post

I travel between Phoenix and Seattle a lot. Everytime I go I get a different answer. I've been told I HAD to have a TSA lock (They're like $14 for one and I carry two firearms when I travel). I had to argue with the manager for about 20 minutes to explain this was not in their policy. I've been told the declare paper only has to be in the bag with the luggage, not in the actual case. I've been told I had to check my pistol case separately (another fee too!).

I always OC into the airport and unload/clear at the counter and lock it up there. If it makes people uncomfortable, I'm sorry. You don't have a right to be comfortable.

Stryker

imported post

bigwookiee wrote:
Buy your own airplane and do as you dam well please. :celebrate

+1

I used to fly regionally, and started taking lessons, but my career has changed. Nowmy itineraries are on 737s but my budget has not grown beyond a Cessna 172. Now if anyone wants to part with a Cessna Mustang for $200k, PM me. :lol:

060909cessna.jpg

Stryker

imported post

deanf posted in another thread that the Port of Seattle has banned firearms from all areas of the airport.http://www.portseattle.org/downloads/seatac/rulereg9-1-09.pdf While clearly in violation of state preemption, it directly answers my original question.

So, barring a desire to miss a flight in favor of an argument with Port Police and subsequently becoming a test case, I would advise that all firearms be packed to TSA specifications prior to enteringSeatac airport.

Thanks to deanf for his willingness to stand before the Port Commission and request the revision of this rule. Perhaps I can get in on the next round or someday SAF vs Nickles' gun ban will come to fruition.