• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Hit careless drivers in their wallets', Wisc. State Journal madison.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. This misguided subject would play right into the hands of the right-wing gun-grabbers.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinion/mailbag/article_c8629964-ac4a-11de-9d45-001cc4c03286.html

Steve Zanon, Middleton | Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 11:15 am |

Madison Police Officer Derrick Jones, who just returned to work, was injured in a crosswalk in September. Ironically he was acting as a decoy pedestrian a short while earlier.

The State Journal recently reported on a child walking to school who received a serious head injury in much the same way Officer Jones was struck. It seems this kind of thing is happening more often - a pedestrian, jogger, bicyclist or an Amish family in a buggy being struck and killed. What's more, it doesn't seem like an urgent problem to anyone.

I don't see much difference between injuring a person accidentally with a car or injuring them with a gun. What is different is that mishandling a gun is considered criminally negligent, and is punishable, while negligent stupidity behind the wheel is becoming ordinary.

Let's pull officers off speed enforcement duty to have them watch for criminally stupid drivers. Replace speed traps with "your speed is . . ." signs and turn a Webcam on the cars and the speed sign. Mail tickets to everyone going 10 mph or more over the speed limit. Let's make it expensive to be a distracted, dangerous driver.

And Officer Jones - be careful out there.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Let's pull officers off speed enforcement duty to have them watch for criminally stupid drivers. Replace speed traps with "your speed is . . ." signs and turn a Webcam on the cars and the speed sign. Mail tickets to everyone going 10 mph or more over the speed limit. Let's make it expensive to be a distracted, dangerous driver.

And the speeder is going to cross examine the speed-sign, or the web cam in court???
Speed cameras are not allowed in this state, and I am glad. They do nothing to stop the activity since no stop is being made at the time of infraction. Arizona has/had a major court case about speed cameras, A guy received 5 tickets in the mail for 5 MPG over in 5 miles of the same highway, they were timed 1 minute apart. The courts expected him to pay all 5 separate tickets for his 1 singleinfraction.

This is one of the reasons WI has not allowed speed-cameras to be used, (WI Statute 349.02)

I am all for red-light cameras though, too many accident victims are wrongfully blamed without any evidence but who the cop sides with.

Hillmann

imported post

If you hurt someone accedently with your carit is considered criminally negligent, and is punishable. The only diffrence would be with a gunthe DA could add weapons charges.

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
You forgot either I-ANAL or a citation.

I assume you are directing that at me.

First I-ANAL remindes me of something two men do at a gay bar.Yuck! So you can see why I don't want to include it in my posts.

And as far as a citation, I have been on two jurys for neglent use of vehicles, one was homocide, I don't remeber what the exact charges were on the other. Neither one included alachol.

FLR&@

imported post

I have to say the author of the article has an excellentpoint and it shouldnailed to the door of every anti gun/gun grabbing politician, cop, police chief, mayor, group,and citizen.

Did I miss anyone?