• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lapeer county cpl

lapeer20m

imported post

I just submitted my application for my CPL today. The people at the clerks office, and the fingerprint lady in the basement of the courthouse were both cordial. However, the clerk told me that i should expect to wait 3 to 4 months for my cpl. I explained that the law requires them to issue/deny within 45 days of receiving my fingerprints from the msp/fbi. She assured me that they would issue ordeny my permit withing 45 days of receiving the prints. I asked how i could check on the status of my prints, and shesaid they are not allowed to give out that info. So basically, it seems they couldtake longer than the 45 days, and could just blame the msp for not delivering the prints in a timely manner and i have no way to prove otherwise. GRRR!

Thomas Jefferson would be rolling over in his grave if he witnessed what we have to go through to get a permit. Not only a lot of $$, but also the fingerprints, and thefingerprint lady requiredme to give out my SSN. I feel somewhat violated. It is a lot of hoops to jump through just to exercise one of my rights that is supposedly "guaranteed" by the bill of rights.I think it's timeto takeit to the supreme court, because OUR rights to keep and carry (bear) arms are definitely being infringed!wish i was a millionaire so i could afford to take a case all the way to the high court.

edited for spelling

PDinDetroit

imported post

I believe that when the $105 Check clears, the 45 days starts counting. I think I read that somewhere here as a possible way to tell...

In Oakland County, I received my CPL 6 weeks to the day I submitted the application. I was told that it would take that long...

Michigander

imported post

and shesaid they are not allowed to give out that info

I don't buy it. It's your information they're looking in to. I don't know of any reason why they'd have a right to keep the status from you.

The problem when dealing with cops or other PD personnel, at times, is that asking questions in person off the record is nowhere near as effective as asking questions in writing, on the record.

My 2 cents is that in your position, I would write the Sheriff himself a letter, explaining your disappointment in the potentially illegal wait for your CPL, and also your disappointment in the fact that the clerk wouldn't tell you how to check the status of the paperwork, and that you want to know who to contact to find out the status, calling it a FOIA request if needed.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
I believe that when the $105 Check clears, the 45 days starts counting. I think I read that somewhere here as a possible way to tell...

In Oakland County, I received my CPL 6 weeks to the day I submitted the application. I was told that it would take that long...
Unfortunately, it's all about the prints.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ftys4g450rj0wz55exb1ws55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425b

(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). If the concealed weapon licensing board denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol, the concealed weapon licensing board shall within 5 business days do both of the following:

miked

imported post

I submitted my renewal in Genesee county at the beginning of Sept. I was told to wait at least 8 weeks before calling them for a status due to a backlog of applications.

Michigander

imported post

The legit problem that can cause backlogs is when the particular SD is understaffed and using moronic and outdated means to issue to the CPL's. This describes many SD's lately with the increase in permits caused by Obama fear (foolish to think it would help, but some do) and the declining economy.

It's a disgusting thing to compare Michigan's system of write them out by hand and laminate them after you wait a month or more, to other states where they print them off on the spot and you have the card in minutes.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
The legit problem that can cause backlogs is when the particular SD is understaffed and using moronic and outdated means to issue to the CPL's. This describes many SD's lately with the increase in permits caused by Obama fear (foolish to think it would help, but some do) and the declining economy.

It's a disgusting thing to compare Michigan's system of write them out by hand and laminate them after you wait a month or more, to other states where they print them off on the spot and you have the card in minutes.
Sounds like MI is stuck in "sneaker-net" territory, when technology was at its finest!

The CPL looks like something a 12 year old could create for a Fake ID. Could have at least given a drivers license type for the $105 buckaroos.

Better yet, drop the crap for CPL and stop specifying manner of carry permitted.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

lechwe wrote:
Prints are getting turned around by MSP in days right now, not weeks.

Right, but it's the FBI prints that are the most time consuming. It's 45 days after they receive the FBI print report.

But evens so 2 to 4 months is too long. Things should be getting faster as more prints are done digitally (Boy that's a pun, finger prints done digitally..ha I crack myself up.) and applications slow down.

drew68

imported post

Just got my CPL in Kalamazoo. Took nine weeks for it to come back after I turned in my application. They said it could take up to 12 weeks.

miked

imported post

miked wrote:
I submitted my renewal in Genesee county at the beginning of Sept. I was told to wait at least 8 weeks before calling them for a status due to a backlog of applications.
I received my approval letter yesterday, postmarked 9/30. It only ended up taking 26 days in Genesee county. I guess the backlog wasn't that much or I just got really lucky.

I can't believe the difference in time frames, even between different people within the same county.

PDinDetroit

imported post

miked wrote:
I can't believe the difference in time frames, even between different people within the same county.
The problem is with allowing the County Review Boards to be the issuing agent and run these as they see fit. This will always lead to inconsistent results. If we cannot get rid of the CPL "licensing of a right", then I would like to see the State of MI take this over. This should cost less overall and provide better service (assuming they would automate/computerize to the best degree possible). It is painfully obvious that the current system is broken...

Some really smart "entrepreneur" could probably provide this as a service for the State of MI AND save money for MI.