• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member: Section32

Section32

imported post

Hello everyone. First post. I was recommended to this site by BB62, whom I met at the Indy OC walk on September 26th. First, I'd like to say thank you to BB62 and the other Ohioans who drove all the way from Cincinnati to support our cause. That's committment! As soon as they get the Ohio reciprocity laws loosened up, I'll be happy to return the favor. I'd also like to thank and commend SavageEagle for his superlative efforts in organizing the walk.

You'll note that I labeled this post as "INGO Refugee" because I have left that forum after the preposterous complaints and criticisms by a moderator and a friend of the site owner against the walkers. Before Sept 26, I was one of the legion of gun owners who loved to be very vocal about his opinions but had never acted in defense of my rights. Participating in the OC walk really opened my eyes not only to my personal responsibilities but also to the nonsensical blowhards that occupy most forums. I'm looking for a serious, focused and action-based community of gun owners and I hope this is it. In case you are wondering about the handle, Section 32 is the part of the Indiana Constitution that says, "The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."

ATM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry to hear that you left INGO based on a question and an exaggerated example of a personalgrudge drug in from another unrelated thread. The good members far outweigh the bad there IMO, but they won't all be serious, focused and action-based on a general gun forum.

This site has a wider reach (national) but a more narrow focus (OC) and I enjoy it as well.

Section32

imported post

Thanks ATM. I agree, there are a lot of good contributors at INGO. I learned a lot there and never would have gotten involved if not for the owner allowing the walkers to organize on his forum. But, as I said in my first post, the walkwas a watershed moment in my personal gun activism. This is serious business. Defending our constitutional rights is a serious thing and participants are taking some risk by exposing their beliefs. I am a middle manager in a large corporation that bans possession of all weapons on their property (including in your car). Frankly, I was glad there was no media there because I'm not ready to be identified as a "gun nut" at my workplace.

So, I was thrilled with the event and my own personal 'coming out'. When I returned home and fired up the forum, Iexpected to see everyone equally excited about the success of the first OC walk in the city. Instead, I find a moderator taking potshots about flag decorum and questioning our patriotism. I was shell-shocked. I'll admit that I over-reacted in my post blasting them but their offense stands nonetheless. The owner then posted that the two offenders were his "good friends" and therefore all that was done was to take down the posts. After a week of pondering this, I still am unable to figure out why these people would demean fellow gunowners standing up for their rights with a historic, public action. Perhaps they have never done something like this so don't appreciate the significance and risk. I wasn't interested in perpetuating the squabble. I want to further the cause. INGO is a nice social network but I've tired of endless debates over which gun is best or which Walmart has ammo.My activism has outgrown that site and hopefully OCDO is the right place to get involved in actually doing something rather than just "bloviating" as one of our favorite TV commentators would say.

FiremanJoe

imported post

S32-- Welcome to OCDO... I was the "tailgunner" bringing up the rear. Glad you enjoyed the walk. BB Lthrr and I certainly did. I feel your pain about the banter on their forum, some folks seem to get a little up tight, when I read the post's I was also put off as it where, but letting it go. When we read something on the web it's sometime it misses a lot as to how the poster would deliver it with out facial expression and body language we have lost a lot. Interpretation of how one reads written words is truly in the eye of the beholder. I have gotten more out of OFCC and OCDO , having done several GRASS Roots Walkabouts with these groups.
Online we hear the arguments from the cc about concealed means concealed or we scare to many liberals, etc... Experience is the only way one can decide for their selves, taking a walk about the city OC and watching reactions, or talking to people, gives one lots of insight an input. There are times I know OC has been a crime deterrent, then again if theirs lots of kids or sometimes others around I may double back to grab my cover shirt, just to be sure I have a advantage and not have too many unwanted eyes on me. From reading around the boards we know that walmart is a place to cc, they like chl but prefer cc method, ok I can live with that. UDF here in Ohio post, so I go get my Ice Cream some place else. I have gotten comfortable carrying anywhere and everywhere, have had the traffic stop encounters, and had the thug wanna be's say dude that a 4 5 or what man.... lol But most important I was more prepared and handle the encounters where I cleared the holster and was in condition RED much better and each time I feel I have picked up pointers and a place to share.

And of course I have learned and practice ---
The Four Rules
  • 1. All firearms are always loaded.
  • 2. Never let the muzzle of a firearm point at anything you are not willing to destroy.
  • 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
  • 4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," said Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters. "Because the bad guys always have guns," he said. "You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."