• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland ordered to pay $175,000 to three men over false arrest re gun carry

usaf0906

imported post

Bm7b5 wrote:
Autonym wrote:
Anyone who stops and considers the big picture - how drugs are made, where they come from, and the environment they create would tell you that there are always victims where drugs are involved - including alcohol.
Well, if you want to go down that path, the same can be said about beef consumption.
Take everything in moderation, even moderation.:celebrate

old dog

imported post

Ironbar:

Would your great-guy cop friends be willing to testify against a Besner if the occasion arose?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Pavegunner wrote:
Each agency/company/business has a few loonies in it's ranks.That can never be cured, just dealt with when the loons can no longer contain themselves and screw up (and they always do eventually). Blaming an entire agency based on the actions of a few is simply ignorant
In his 25 years of service, I can attest he did far more good than bad as an officer serving his community. His only downfall was how timid he became later in his career to help people. I attribute this to nuisance lawsuits and exceedingly poor police policy guidance from his leadership.
If any officer allows a fellow officer to break the law, and does not act in a way to stop his illegal behavior, They themselves are no better than the one committing the crimes against the public. So, I do not care of an officer is the most fair and honest person on the force, if they allow someone else in uniform to act poorly, it makes them no better!
These brave men and women put on that uniform and lay their lives on the line for all of us, our families, communities each day.
Nobody forced them to take that job!

Let's give them the repect and admiration the majority of them deserve.
When they treat someone in a respectable, professional manner, I agree they do deserve some respect.
But when they are rude, combative, overstepping their authority and balatantly trampling peoples rights and trying to escelatea situation, They do not deserve any respect and therefore I refuse to respect those types.
Things have a way of taking care of themselves when there is a problem, I have seen it happen many times.

One of the most memorable was a young officer in Greenfield WI, he was obnoxious, well one day he got obnoxious with the wrong person. And he spent many hours inthe hospitalfor facial reconstruction surgery.

rodbender

imported post

Citizen wrote:
grishnav wrote:
SNIP...hallmark of good policing.
I've been wondering. Can there really be such a thing as good policing?

http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm
As far as the Constitution goes, it does not prohibit the states or local jurisdictions from having police. However, nowhere in the Constitution does it say the Federal government can have them, thusly they are barred. This would include the BATFE, DEA, FBI, and the Treasury Dept.

Pavegunner

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Pavegunner wrote:
Each agency/company/business has a few loonies in it's ranks.That can never be cured, just dealt with when the loons can no longer contain themselves and screw up (and they always do eventually). Blaming an entire agency based on the actions of a few is simply ignorant
In his 25 years of service, I can attest he did far more good than bad as an officer serving his community. His only downfall was how timid he became later in his career to help people. I attribute this to nuisance lawsuits and exceedingly poor police policy guidance from his leadership.
If any officer allows a fellow officer to break the law, and does not act in a way to stop his illegal behavior, They themselves are no better than the one committing the crimes against the public. So, I do not care of an officer is the most fair and honest person on the force, if they allow someone else in uniform to act poorly, it makes them no better!
These brave men and women put on that uniform and lay their lives on the line for all of us, our families, communities each day.
Nobody forced them to take that job!

Let's give them the repect and admiration the majority of them deserve.
When they treat someone in a respectable, professional manner, I agree they do deserve some respect.
But when they are rude, combative, overstepping their authority and balatantly trampling peoples rights and trying to escelatea situation, They do not deserve any respect and therefore I refuse to respect those types.
Things have a way of taking care of themselves when there is a problem, I have seen it happen many times.

One of the most memorable was a young officer in Greenfield WI, he was obnoxious, well one day he got obnoxious with the wrong person. And he spent many hours inthe hospitalfor facial reconstruction surgery.

Nutczak- it's quite obvious you are a cop-hater. if you read my entry, it does not defend the dirtbag cops who violated the civil rights of it's people.

You are being ignorant by painting all cops as bad. "nobody forced them to take that job" WTF

old dog

imported post

Ironbar, et al.

Let us never forget New Orleans. They almost make Chicago look good.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Pavegunner,

Give me one single instance where someone was forced to work a job as a police officer. Nobody forced me to do what I do for a living, I chose my profession.
Were you forced into you current employment position? Anyone? Was anyone forced to take a certain job or profession against your will.

So don't give that crap! i'll say it again, when ever a cop whines about how tough his job is, I do not give a flying-****! nobody forced them to be a cop! it is a decision they made, so if they want to complain about it, they can find employment elsewhere.

The points I made very easily cross over to anyones lifestyle or choice of employment.

Lets say you work for a bank, you see a fellow teller embezzling money, but you say or do nothing to stop their illegal behavior. It makes you no better than the embezzling scumbag you are protecting.

gsx1138

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Pavegunner,

Give me one single instance where someone was forced to work a job as a police officer. Nobody forced me to do what I do for a living, I chose my profession.
Were you forced into you current employment position? Anyone? Was anyone forced to take a certain job or profession against your will.

So don't give that crap! i'll say it again, when ever a cop whines about how tough his job is, I do not give a flying-@#$%! nobody forced them to be a cop! it is a decision they made, so if they want to complain about it, they can find employment elsewhere.

The points I made very easily cross over to anyones lifestyle or choice of employment.

Lets say you work for a bank, you see a fellow teller embezzling money, but you say or do nothing to stop their illegal behavior. It makes you no better than the embezzling scumbag you are protecting.
Well stated.

But you should really stop hating on bank tellers. They have a difficult and thankless job and they deserve our respect.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Autonym wrote:
Honestly, Grish, f*ck you man.

I'm flattered, but straight.

I try to constructively comment on your post, respectively assert that we have differences of opinion

Jumping in, rejecting a viewpoint outright based on "evidence" of which you are so unquestioning of it's veracity that you don't even bother to state it -- and silmultaniously using it to imply that I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, then rejecting any possibility of discourse to build understanding... that is not constructive criticism. That's arrogant, sophomoric spew. Ending with "we'll have to agree to disagree" doesn't change that fact.

and you compare me to Sarah Brady?

If it quacks like a duck...

Your worldview doesn't support people who disagree with you?

Nope, I don't support people who disagree with me. I do, however, tolerate and consider alternate viewpoints, apparently unlike yourself.

Your "friend" is his own victim. Self-inflicted, sure, but a victim just the same.

Now you just sound stupid. Are people who eat bacon victims of bacon? Are people who enjoy butter on their toast victims of cows? Where, exactly, do you draw the line? Would you also prohibit nicotine and alcohol? Are alcoholics "victims of the bottle"?

Considering that my friend uses the cannabis to treat chronic pain induced by a vehicle accident that nothing else (short of heavy narcotics, life morphine) has relieved, I really doubt he feels like more of a victim of pot than someone with a headache feels like a victim of Advil. Unless I've horribly misunderstood, you'd throw him in a cage for experiencing pain relief, not only taking away his freedom, but causing him to suffer, since he can't access the plant. Is that your position? Is denying pain treatment to suffering people your idea of compassion, Autonym?

Furthermore, this just reeks of blaming the gun instead of the user, so to speak. Also a very Brady-ish thinking error/tactic.

And if the plant isn't harming him, and it's consumption is giving him pain relief or even pleasure, how exactly is he a victim of it?

You completely ignored my question about the supposed exploitation in him growing a cannabis plant for pain relief, so I'll just assume you've conceded that point.

Ultimately, you're correct that we'll have to agree to disagree. My world view respects life and individual sovereignty, and tolerates and respects other people exercising their beliefs and living by their values, at least to the extent that their beliefs and values don't harm another. Your worldview, well, doesn't. You believe in violence, I believe in peace. You won't convince me that I shouldn't respect other's choices, and I'll not convince you that you should respect other people's choices.

grish if a single mom has 3 kids and is shooting up heroin and these kids are left to starve since she is passed out or worse dead, does that not mean they are victims?

If a drug dealer hits up an elementary school and sells drugs to kids who have no idea what they are doing since they are 10 years old or 11, are they not victims of this individual drug dealer?

Your friend aside, if there is a crack addict roaming around the streets and falls in the street and gets hit by a car, or dies of an overdose, is he not himself his own victim, or a victim of drugs?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I would really like your comment on this, you seem thought out, please respond. And as to your friend with marijuana, sure he can do all he wants, no flak from me, but the minute drugs start affecting family's lives for the worse, they are all victims arent they? NowI am not arguing against your friends pain relief, butare youproposing that all drugs become legalized in any amount to any age? Please clarify. Thanks

grishnav

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
grish if a single mom has 3 kids and is shooting up heroin and these kids are left to starve since she is passed out or worse dead, does that not mean they are victims?

Of a crappy, abusive parent; not of heroin.

If a drunkard father comes home and beats the kids, we don't blame the alcohol, we blame the alcoholic! And when we send them to AA, we get them to take responsibility for their actions and make amends, we don't call to ban booze for the rest of responsible society!

If a drug dealer hits up an elementary school and sells drugs to kids who have no idea what they are doing since they are 10 years old or 11, are they not victims of this individual drug dealer?

Riight. Because 10 years olds are where all the money's at.

Hint: Drugs don't get dealt to 10 year olds, because it's not profitable, because 10 year olds aren't out working and making money. Any drug money he had would have had to have been provided by you in the form of allowance, Mr. Parent. And allowance typically isn't enough to buy drugs. Further, what kind of school are you sending your kids to that's letting drug dealers sell on campus? Further still, even you implicitly admit that, at best, the kids would be a victim of the dealer rather than the drugs themselves. Finally, if you legalize them, there won't be any 'dealers' in the traditional sense of the word! They'd be sold in stores, just like alcohol is. People don't come around trying to sell 10 year olds booze, now, do they? Do you honestly think they'd try to if it was legal? Do you think your school's principal would let them? If so, why the hell you sendin' him to that school? Jeese.

This whole "the drugs are going to attack the kids" is the right-wing's rehashing of the brady bunch's argument that kids will get their hands on guns and hurt themselves with them no matter what precaution you take. It's a tired, thoroughly debunked argument that's based on emotion rather than reality.

Your friend aside, if there is a crack addict roaming around the streets and falls in the street and gets hit by a car, or dies of an overdose, is he not himself his own victim, or a victim of drugs?

Only insomuch as a drunk driver is a victim of alcohol, or a cancer patient a victim of cigarettes. You make choices with your life. Choices have consequences. If falling in the street and getting hit by a car is one of the possible risks with using crack, and you use crack, you accept those risks, and if you get him by a car, then it's your own damn doing, not crack's.

If you accept the argument that it's crack's fault that you fell in front of the car, then you must also except the brady bunch argument that guns cause gun crime and gun accidents, because it is the exact same flawed reasoning.

It never ceases to amaze me that the left and the right use the same arguments and counter arguments for different objects and yet can't understand each other's reasoning. Try switching the object: Lefties feel the way about guns that righties feel about drugs: irrationally scared of an inanimate object.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I would really like your comment on this, you seem thought out, please respond. And as to your friend with marijuana, sure he can do all he wants, no flak from me, but the minute drugs start affecting family's lives for the worse, they are all victims arent they?

Of the person, not the drug.

NowI am not arguing against your friends pain relief, butare youproposing that all drugs become legalized in any amount to any age? Please clarify. Thanks
Yes. Yes I am. Or at least as an incremental step, all drugs for all adults. But if you want to ban kids from drugs, just remember: The ones who want to do them are going to find a way. That way could be high quality, safe drugs from the corner store, or crap from the street laced with god knows what. Obviously you'd rather not have your kid doing drugs at all, but if he's going to do them, would you rather have him get highly pure, controlled dosage drugs from 7-11, or buy black tar laced with rat poison from some dude on the street (who might or might not just shoot him and steal his money instead of providing any drugs at all)? You make the call. I know what my choice is.

usaf0906

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
You kids just don't get it.
If you READ the history of this once-great Republic, you'd learn the modern day "drug laws" didn't exist till fairly recently.
Read, study and learn.

The great Mark Edward has spoken. Bask in his goodness.

Drugs are illegal because... well, I cant really think of a good answer.