• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording LEO's

freak21

imported post

Have heard of having a recording device while CC or OC incase of LEO's who don't know the law, treat you like dirt, arrest without cause, ect..

Heard there are also laws that apply, i.e. Have to notify them that you are recording the conversation.

Any one know where I can read up on the laws for this?

Phssthpok

imported post

I don't have the Cite, but I'm fair certain the courts have ruled that as long as the camera is visible, and unmistakably a camera, than no further notification is required.

We-the-People

imported post

Be careful if the camera is recording audio (like what video camera doesn't) as they may try to screw with you under the audio statute above. It's safest just to say "I'm recording audio" whether it's just a recorder or a visible camera.

There is an "expert" (done been through the trial) on the subject of audio recording here on the board, I'm sure he'll weigh in.

We-the-People

imported post

Because they have a specific exemption written into the law. Although that exemption seems to me to require them to notify us as well if the situation allows it. I'm headed to school so I don't have time to look up the referenece. I'll try to remember to do so when I get home.

We-the-People

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Because they have a specific exemption written into the law. Although that exemption seems to me to require them to notify us as well if the situation allows it. I'm headed to school so I don't have time to look up the referenece. I'll try to remember to do so when I get home.
The ORS on police using dash cams is below. Not the "REASONABLE OPPORTUNITY" wording. The way I see it, unless it's a felony stop with guns drawn, it woul dbe quite reasonable for the officer to have to inform the person stopped when he first approaches the vehicle. That's the standard we're held to!!

165.540 Obtaining contents of communications.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 or 133.726 or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:[/b]

(c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.

(5) The prohibitions in subsection (1)(c) of this section do not apply to:

(a) A person who records a conversation during a felony that endangers human life;

(b) A law enforcement officer who is in uniform and displaying a badge and who is operating a vehicle-mounted video camera that records the scene in front of, within or surrounding a police vehicle, unless the officer has reasonable opportunity to inform participants in the conversation that the conversation is being obtained; or

Blacryan

imported post

Here's something I am curious about. If you were to be pulled over at a traffic stop, and the police officer informs you that you are being recorded, do you have to also inform him if you are recording him?

I would assume that at the point he informs you that the conversation is being recorded, he also understands its being recorded so there would be no point to also say, "Ok officer and you are being recorded as well."? Since the general consensus at that point is that you both know you are being recorded.

We-the-People

imported post

I'm not a lawyer but I would say that the law applies to the individual and if YOU are recording audio you would need to inform.

If he has informed you that he is recording audio, he's covered but you aren't. Of course you could always argue it in court but why not just avoid the expense, and potential loss?