• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Policy Change?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
tedwitt wrote:
Crickets???
Meaning, waiting to see the response from your email to Wally World. :)

+1
460.gif

tedwitt

imported post

Well, here is their response.............

Thank you for your message.

Dear Ted,

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,

Walmart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

My question is, what is Walmart's policy on Carrying a Handgun in their stores? I have a concealed handgun license and I do not wish to cause trouble. Soon there will be a law passed called Open Carry. Legal carriers will be able to carry their weapon in plain sight. What is Walmart's Policy on this?Thanks in advance. Ted Witt

okboomer

imported post

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.
Huh? Does the state (Michigan?) carry law provide for this <a case-by-case basis>? This seems discriminatory and has the business abrogating a specific persons' civil rights.

In my state, itsall-or-nothing as long as the person is not being disruptive. Of course, we do not have OC here, but a gun is not a person and state law afirms the right to OC in Michigan.

Floor Walker

imported post

I can say with absolute certainty that Walmart has no policy forbidding open carry or concealed carry of firearms in it's stores, company wide. If you come into my store and an associate or manager tells you otherwise, let me know and I will make sure they have a very short career. If it happens in another store let me know and I'll do what I can to fix the problem from inside.

MatieA

imported post

Floor Walker wrote:
I can say with absolute certainty that Walmart has no policy forbidding open carry or concealed carry of firearms in it's stores, company wide. If you come into my store and an associate or manager tells you otherwise, let me know and I will make sure they have a very short career. If it happens in another store let me know and I'll do what I can to fix the problem from inside.

It might help if you listed city/state, or the state at the very least.

:cool:

Floor Walker

imported post

VA for the state and Harrisonburg for the city. Burgess rd for the store. In general I'd rather not talk too openly about the company or my role in it, but I am a manger for Walmart and if anyone has any issues/concerns involving the company, I'd like to know (PM is best).

simmonsjoe

imported post

Floor Walker wrote:
VA for the state and Harrisonburg for the city. Burgess rd for the store. In general I'd rather not talk too openly about the company or my role in it, but I am a manger for Walmart and if anyone has any issues/concerns involving the company, I'd like to know (PM is best).
10 to 1 this guy bags groceries.

darthmord

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:

You never know. It's best to not burn bridges without proof they need burning in hand first.

IOW, might want to give the guy the benefit of doubt.

simmonsjoe

imported post

darthmord wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:

You never know. It's best to not burn bridges without proof they need burning in hand first.

Your right... that was harsh of me....
:quirky

hows fifty fifty sound?:celebrate

Floor Walker

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
darthmord wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:

Your right...   that was harsh of me....

NVM. I had more here, but I really don't feel all that comforatble posting it. I don't even really feel all that comfy posting my store info.

Suffice it say, I'm actually someone mildly important, but if you want to communicate about Walmart with me it's going to need to be in PM, unless I feel that it is perfectly ok for anyone to read.

Alexcabbie

imported post

tedwitt wrote:
Well, here is their response.............

Thank you for your message.

Dear Ted,

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,

Walmart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

My question is, what is Walmart's policy on Carrying a Handgun in their stores? I have a concealed handgun license and I do not wish to cause trouble. Soon there will be a law passed called Open Carry. Legal carriers will be able to carry their weapon in plain sight. What is Walmart's Policy on this?Thanks in advance. Ted Witt
Sounds reasonable. Their store, their property. Their call.

All I can say on this is that I have never had a problem at the KIngstown WalMart; and I would go out of my way to avoid the one on Richmond Highway here in Alexandria VA. (Although WalMart is not known for its expertise in assisting customers with any technology more complex than inseam measuring, the staff at Richmond Hwy seems to have skulls of lead filled with depleted uranium; ie DENSE.)

Unless weapons in businesses policy is codified into local law and/or the place is posted, OC will be a case-by-case matter. I think we all need to remember in these situations that people are watching whatever happens; and in these cases we need to take care that we are not tricked into looking like WE are the blow-holes.

brokenbarrel

imported post

just means if gangster gangster with tattoos on his bald head and rag hangin out the pocket with his pants arround his knees,makes customers uncomfy they will probly ask him to leave..but average aint gotta prove nothin to nobody type guys are probly alright..just my guess not tryin to argue for or against...

Floor Walker

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
just means if gangster gangster with tattoos on his bald head and rag hangin out the pocket with his pants arround his knees,makes customers uncomfy they will probly ask him to leave..but average aint gotta prove nothin to nobody type guys are probly alright..just my guess not tryin to argue for or against...
Walmart will not (assuming the manager is following policy of course) toss anyone UNLESS they are actively disrupting business (or they are a shoplifter under other certain conditions). "Uncomfortable" does not count as disruptive. In addition salaried managers are the only ones allowed to ask people to leave.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Floor Walker wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
darthmord wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:

Your right... that was harsh of me....

NVM. I had more here, but I really don't feel all that comforatble posting it. I don't even really feel all that comfy posting my store info.

Suffice it say, I'm actually someone mildly important, but if you want to communicate about Walmart with me it's going to need to be in PM, unless I feel that it is perfectly ok for anyone to read.
Hey I was trying to be funny. I'm glad you posted for us. We appreciate you standing up.