Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examiner.com: Alamogordo police pay $21,000 to settle open carry lawsuit

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Please CLICK, SUBSCRIBE, and DIGG this news column to help spread the word!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gu...-carry-lawsuit

SNIP

As reported in the Alamogordo Daily News today,the Alamogordo, NM Police have paid $21,000 to settle with Matthew A. St. John whom police detained for open carrying a holstered handgun at a movie theater. This settlement follows a host of settlements by police departments around the country with plaintiffs who were detained by police for openly carrying a holstered handgun, including Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Virginia(see another settlement here), and Georgia. More cases are still pending in . . .

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    ...the Alamogordo, NM Police have paid $21,000 to settle with Matthew A. St. John whom police detained for open carrying a holstered handgun at a movie theater...
    That will get the message spread within the Alamogordo police department...

Post imported post

And, hopefully, a few others.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Was this 'Jizzle's' incident? Either way, Great job! Spread the word!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Glad to see that City officials are looking into this in an effort to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Post imported post

From the newspaper article on the case:

St. John, 27, also had filed a claim for false arrest and battery, but the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico in Las Cruces denied it.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, why were the false arrest and battery portions denied?

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

St. John, 27, also had filed a claim for false arrest and battery, but the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico in Las Cruces denied it.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, why were the false arrest and battery portions denied?

TFred
    Read the opinion - judge explains it.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    Read the opinion - judge explains it.
    Hmm... I read it through when it was first released, I thought he was explaining why those portions weren't in the summary judgement, not that they were denied altogether. I was under the impression that they would proceed to trial.

TFred

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

As always, the settlement includes no admission of wrongdoing by the police.

Post imported post

What happens if one does not accept a settlement and takes this all the way?

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    That is rather irritating, but nothing says "I was wrong" quite like a five figure check...

We all know what really happened.

TFred

Post imported post

Carondalet wrote:
    What happens if one does not accept a settlement and takes this all the way?
    Then one takes the risk of getting all, some, or none of what one is asking for. That is what settlement is about: eliminating the adverse risks of getting little or nothing, at the expense of giving up your shot at getting most orall.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Statkowski wrote:
    That is rather irritating, but nothing says "I was wrong" quite like a five figure check...
    Precisely. If wrongdoing is done, a five figure check from thewrongdoer is about the clearest admission of wrongdoing I can think of, in my book.

In my opinion, when someone admits a wrong or apologizes, that's nice but it's just words. But if they agree topay significantlyfor their mistakes, then the restitution isreally sincere.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Statkowski wrote:
    Precisely. If wrongdoing is done, a five figure check from thewrongdoer is about the clearest admission of wrongdoing I can think of, in my book.

In my opinion, when someone admits a wrong or apologizes, that's nice but it's just words. But if they agree topay significantlyfor their mistakes, then the restitution isreally sincere.
    I agree; Didn't M. Jackson settle? Who thinks he was guilty? It's not often that someone settles and people don't think they are guilty of whatever wrong doing was accused in the suit.

I do think it is important though, that these settlements are made public. The one thing a guy should do when settling his case is make sure of that. Otherwise no one knows how much it's costing to infringe on others rights.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    Judge Black threw out the False Arrest and Battery charges because St. John was not actually "arrested" and the physical contact did not rise to the level of "Battery."

Post imported post

Sup guys. Yes that's me. I am glad it's over. Well everything is over besides the media part of it. I did a newspaper interview on friday and a TV news interview this morning. They ask more questions than the defense lawyers..

Post imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    Judge Black threw out the False Arrest and Battery charges because St. John was not actually "arrested" and the physical contact did not rise to the level of "Battery."
    Actually he denied St. Johns request for summary judgement on the battery portion of his lawsuit:
    Whether Defendants' actions would be offensive to a reasonable sense of personal dignity, and would thus constitute battery, is a question best left to a jury. Simply stated, a reasonable person—working with the limited factual record before the Court—may, but would not necessarily, find Defendants' contact offensive to their sense of personal dignity.

Post imported post

brboyer wrote:
    flintlock tom wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    Actually he denied St. Johns request for summary judgement on the battery portion of his lawsuit:
    Whether Defendants' actions would be offensive to a reasonable sense of personal dignity, and would thus constitute battery, is a question best left to a jury. Simply stated, a reasonable person—working with the limited factual record before the Court—may, but would not necessarily, find Defendants' contact offensive to their sense of personal dignity.
    Yes, that is what I remember reading... so why is that part not continuing to trial?

TFred

Post imported post

Yes, that is what I remember reading... so why is that part not continuing to trial?

TFred
    because they settled the case - all claims.

Post imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
    Sup guys. Yes that's me. I am glad it's over. Well everything is over besides the media part of it. I did a newspaper interview on friday and a TV news interview this morning. They ask more questions than the defense lawyers..
    Does the $21K cover the attorney fees?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This case is also being discussed over at the Volokh Conspiracy (a legal blog).

Post imported post

we dropped the battery claim because I accomplished everything that I wanted to. The judge made the call I was going for so there was no need to keep pushing for anything else.

Post imported post

Good job and congrats. Maybe eventually, these places will leave us alone

McX

Post imported post

Congrats on a nice clean win. Thank you for supporting my (our) 2nd Admendment Rights!

Banned

Post imported post

Congratulations and thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast