Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powhatan event bans "weapons"...

Post imported post

Heard this advertised on the radio today, found the web site, directions to the event seem to reference public space("all in an enchanting courthouse square, " ) and their list of rules includes: "NO weapons".

http://www.powhatanwinefestival.com/tickets.htm

Do we need to gently remind the Powhatan Chamber of Commerce about state pre-emption and public property ?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I just sent Tina an e-mail.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Interesting, a wine festival. I wonder what kind of ABC license they have. Would this mean CC is out?

TFred

Post imported post

unless they give it a resturant or club license, whichI doubt, you can CC.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Interesting, a wine festival. I wonder what kind of ABC license they have. Would this mean CC is out?

TFred
    There's one of these "wine things" at Waterside Park on my range day, too... Should we cancel the range day and go look at the wine & cheese crowd? I don't drink, but I bet they have some tasty cheeses available!

Do I have to bring my own crackers?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    There's one of these "wine things" at Waterside Park on my range day, too... Should we cancel the range day and go look at the wine & cheese crowd? I don't drink, but I bet they have some tasty cheeses available!

Do I have to bring my own crackers?
    I'll bring a couple boxes of wheat thins for ya :celebrate

Post imported post

I'll bring some Port Wine Cheese with me to the range, too.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Looks like there are 24 wineries coming to the event so my guess is that they will be using their ABC Winery license. Either way, OC is GTG.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

I just heard back form them.. The tickets were already printed with NO WEAPONS. I think they agree with what I presented and will be changing the website soon. We will see!

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    unless they give it a resturant or club license, whichI doubt, you can CC.
    I would agree
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

No Weapons has been removed from site as of 9/30/09 @ 2159

:celebrate
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

I need a "that was easy" button.

Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    I need a "that was easy" button.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Problem is too many of these preprinted tickets and signs get made up with erroneous information and then need to be corrected.

Frequently, as with these tickets, that is impossible; therefore, the false message is propagated.

BTW - did you notice that it Powhatan's Festival of the Grape ?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Problem is too many of these preprinted tickets and signs get made up with erroneous information and then need to be corrected.
    Heh, heh, heh. I notice the list does not say it is a list of restrictions. It could be taken as a promotional list--"Feel free to come and be comfortable, we are not going to allow pets, guns..."

I wonder if they are open to complaint or suit from an anti-gunner from false advertising printed on their tickets? "Hey!! You said there would be no guns!! Gimme my money back. I'm reporting you to the consumer protection agency."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hey, Ed!

You got time to go after them for the part about legal identification required?

Can they demand legal ID just for attending? Is this a "no minors" venue for some reason?

Otherwise, I should think Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, and Hiibel v 6th Judicial District Court might apply.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Grape?

Maybe I've asked this question before, if so, tell me to pack sand...

Do you have a black powder cannon? I've spent some time on the "crew" of ships with black powder cannons. I remember making charges with FFF or FFFF powder in aluminum foil for them. The cans looked like the same sizecans that paint thinner came in and they were red and white.

I remember the charges being about the size of my fist. This was when I was a young, impressionable teenager and I just remember we made quite a lot of noise with them and they would shoot a tennis ball or a soda can full of cement darn near into orbit.

Now that I'm an adult and have acquired a little bit of knowledge in the area of explosives, that was a BUNCH of black powder... When we went to Harborfest in the late 70's, I remember the windows in the buildings downtown rattling when we shot. Those were the days...
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Hey, Ed!

Can they demand legal ID just for attending? Is this a "no minors" venue for some reason?

Otherwise, I should think Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, and Hiibel v 6th Judicial District Court might apply.
    naw.. I am just working on the niche' gun stuff
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Hey, Ed!

Maybe they don't want to have to worry about ID'ing everyone who is partaking of the wine tasting?

TFred

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Grape?

Do you have a black powder cannon? I've spent some time on the "crew" of ships with black powder cannons. I remember making charges with FFF or FFFF powder in aluminum foil for them. The cans looked like the same sizecans that paint thinner came in and they were red and white.

I remember the charges being about the size of my fist. This was when I was a young, impressionable teenager and I just remember we made quite a lot of noise with them and they would shoot a tennis ball or a soda can full of cement darn near into orbit.

Now that I'm an adult and have acquired a little bit of knowledge in the area of explosives, that was a BUNCH of black powder... When we went to Harborfest in the late 70's, I remember the windows in the buildings downtown rattling when we shot. Those were the days...
    MSC

When I lived in the So. MD area I was a member of a living history program for Civil War, 1861 era. We demonstrated loading and firing a 12 pound field howitzer and the rifled musket.

Burned a lot of black powder. If I remember correctly 1.25 lb per round. Was a lot of fun.

John
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Grape?

Nope, wish I did though.

BTW - don't tell Citizen that I don't - it is what keeps him polite - he's fearful that I might lower the muzzle.

Have considered acquiring a carbide cannon - fun in the sun and all that.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I'd forgotten about carbide. I used to use a carbide"lamp" for blackening sights when I was shooting in matches.

I've never been to one of these "wine tastings" or festivals, but I BET they're CHOCK-FULL of tree-huggin, gun-hatin libbies. I bet you guys OCing there will have lots to talk about after the event. Don't forget your voice recorders! I wanna HEAR the silly comments "OH THE HUMANITY!" "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?" (Of which, there should be NONE present)

I remember using a "rock or 2" of carbide and one or two DROPS of water in the carbide lamp, screwing the lid on and then you had a BLOWTORCH that made a nice black smoke to blacken your sights. Worked great and didn't leave a lot of residue to screw up your sight picture or allignment.

Let me know how the festival goes. I bet there are comments about even tasting wine and OCing at the same time... Is this really a good idea for our Cause?
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I'd forgotten about carbide. I used to use a carbide"lamp" for blackening sights when I was shooting in matches.

I've never been to one of these "wine tastings" or festivals, but I BET they're CHOCK-FULL of tree-huggin, gun-hatin libbies. I bet you guys OCing there will have lots to talk about after the event. Don't forget your voice recorders! I wanna HEAR the silly comments "OH THE HUMANITY!" "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?" (Of which, there should be NONE present)

I remember using a "rock or 2" of carbide and one or two DROPS of water in the carbide lamp, screwing the lid on and then you had a BLOWTORCH that made a nice black smoke to blacken your sights. Worked great and didn't leave a lot of residue to screw up your sight picture or allignment.

Let me know how the festival goes. I bet there are comments about even tasting wine and OCing at the same time... Is this really a good idea for our Cause?
    Just looking and being seen. Maybe they'll even have non-alcoholic grapa.

Wouldn't expect much of a problem in Powhatan - most of the people there embrace conservative values.

Yata hey

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Grape?

Do you have a black powder cannon?

He goes by Grapeshot not due to a cannon butbecause pruneshot just didn't have the same pizzazz!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Grape?

Do you have a black powder cannon?

He goes by Grapeshot not due to a cannon butbecause pruneshot just didn't have the same pizzazz!
    OH, that is sooo mean :^).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast