• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Powhatan event bans "weapons"...

doug23838

imported post

Heard this advertised on the radio today, found the web site, directions to the event seem to reference public space("all in an enchanting courthouse square, " ) and their list of rules includes: "NO weapons".

http://www.powhatanwinefestival.com/tickets.htm

Do we need to gently remind the Powhatan Chamber of Commerce about state pre-emption and public property ?

usaf0906

imported post

unless they give it a resturant or club license, whichI doubt, you can CC.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

TFred wrote:
Interesting, a wine festival. I wonder what kind of ABC license they have. Would this mean CC is out?

TFred

There's one of these "wine things" at Waterside Park on my range day, too... Should we cancel the range day and go look at the wine & cheese crowd? I don't drink, but I bet they have some tasty cheeses available!

Do I have to bring my own crackers?

usaf0906

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
TFred wrote:
Interesting, a wine festival. I wonder what kind of ABC license they have. Would this mean CC is out?

TFred

There's one of these "wine things" at Waterside Park on my range day, too... Should we cancel the range day and go look at the wine & cheese crowd? I don't drink, but I bet they have some tasty cheeses available!

Do I have to bring my own crackers?
I'll bring a couple boxes of wheat thins for ya :celebrate:lol:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

ed wrote:
I need a "that was easy" button.

EasyButtonImage2-1.png

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Problem is too many of these preprinted tickets and signs get made up with erroneous information and then need to be corrected.

Frequently, as with these tickets, that is impossible; therefore, the false message is propagated.

BTW - did you notice that it Powhatan's Festival of the Grape ? :lol:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Problem is too many of these preprinted tickets and signs get made up with erroneous information and then need to be corrected.
Heh, heh, heh. I notice the list does not say it is a list of restrictions. It could be taken as a promotional list--"Feel free to come and be comfortable, we are not going to allow pets, guns..."

I wonder if they are open to complaint or suit from an anti-gunner from false advertising printed on their tickets? "Hey!! You said there would be no guns!! Gimme my money back. I'm reporting you to the consumer protection agency."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey, Ed!

You got time to go after them for the part about legal identification required?

Can they demand legal ID just for attending? Is this a "no minors" venue for some reason?

Otherwise, I should think Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, and Hiibel v 6th Judicial District Court might apply.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Grape?

Maybe I've asked this question before, if so, tell me to pack sand...

Do you have a black powder cannon? I've spent some time on the "crew" of ships with black powder cannons. I remember making charges with FFF or FFFF powder in aluminum foil for them. The cans looked like the same sizecans that paint thinner came in and they were red and white.

I remember the charges being about the size of my fist. This was when I was a young, impressionable teenager and I just remember we made quite a lot of noise with them and they would shoot a tennis ball or a soda can full of cement darn near into orbit.

Now that I'm an adult and have acquired a little bit of knowledge in the area of explosives, that was a BUNCH of black powder... When we went to Harborfest in the late 70's, I remember the windows in the buildings downtown rattling when we shot. Those were the days...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hey, Ed!

Can they demand legal ID just for attending? Is this a "no minors" venue for some reason?

Otherwise, I should think Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, and Hiibel v 6th Judicial District Court might apply.
naw.. I am just working on the niche' gun stuff

TFred

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hey, Ed!

Maybe they don't want to have to worry about ID'ing everyone who is partaking of the wine tasting?

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Grape?

Maybe I've asked this question before, if so, tell me to pack sand...

Do you have a black powder cannon? I've spent some time on the "crew" of ships with black powder cannons. I remember making charges with FFF or FFFF powder in aluminum foil for them. The cans looked like the same sizecans that paint thinner came in and they were red and white.

I remember the charges being about the size of my fist. This was when I was a young, impressionable teenager and I just remember we made quite a lot of noise with them and they would shoot a tennis ball or a soda can full of cement darn near into orbit.

Now that I'm an adult and have acquired a little bit of knowledge in the area of explosives, that was a BUNCH of black powder... When we went to Harborfest in the late 70's, I remember the windows in the buildings downtown rattling when we shot. Those were the days...
MSC

When I lived in the So. MD area I was a member of a living history program for Civil War, 1861 era. We demonstrated loading and firing a 12 pound field howitzer and the rifled musket.

Burned a lot of black powder. If I remember correctly 1.25 lb per round. Was a lot of fun.

John