• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Powhatan event bans "weapons"...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Grape?

Maybe I've asked this question before, if so, tell me to pack sand...

Do you have a black powder cannon? I've spent some time on the "crew" of ships with black powder cannons. I remember making charges with FFF or FFFF powder in aluminum foil for them. The cans looked like the same sizecans that paint thinner came in and they were red and white.

I remember the charges being about the size of my fist. This was when I was a young, impressionable teenager and I just remember we made quite a lot of noise with them and they would shoot a tennis ball or a soda can full of cement darn near into orbit.

Now that I'm an adult and have acquired a little bit of knowledge in the area of explosives, that was a BUNCH of black powder... When we went to Harborfest in the late 70's, I remember the windows in the buildings downtown rattling when we shot. Those were the days...
Nope, wish I did though.

BTW - don't tell Citizen that I don't - it is what keeps him polite - he's fearful that I might lower the muzzle. :lol:

Have considered acquiring a carbide cannon - fun in the sun and all that.

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'd forgotten about carbide. I used to use a carbide"lamp" for blackening sights when I was shooting in matches.

I've never been to one of these "wine tastings" or festivals, but I BET they're CHOCK-FULL of tree-huggin, gun-hatin libbies. I bet you guys OCing there will have lots to talk about after the event. Don't forget your voice recorders! I wanna HEAR the silly comments "OH THE HUMANITY!" "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?" (Of which, there should be NONE present)

I remember using a "rock or 2" of carbide and one or two DROPS of water in the carbide lamp, screwing the lid on and then you had a BLOWTORCH that made a nice black smoke to blacken your sights. Worked great and didn't leave a lot of residue to screw up your sight picture or allignment.

Let me know how the festival goes. I bet there are comments about even tasting wine and OCing at the same time... Is this really a good idea for our Cause?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I'd forgotten about carbide. I used to use a carbide"lamp" for blackening sights when I was shooting in matches.

I've never been to one of these "wine tastings" or festivals, but I BET they're CHOCK-FULL of tree-huggin, gun-hatin libbies. I bet you guys OCing there will have lots to talk about after the event. Don't forget your voice recorders! I wanna HEAR the silly comments "OH THE HUMANITY!" "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?" (Of which, there should be NONE present)

I remember using a "rock or 2" of carbide and one or two DROPS of water in the carbide lamp, screwing the lid on and then you had a BLOWTORCH that made a nice black smoke to blacken your sights. Worked great and didn't leave a lot of residue to screw up your sight picture or allignment.

Let me know how the festival goes. I bet there are comments about even tasting wine and OCing at the same time... Is this really a good idea for our Cause?
Just looking and being seen. Maybe they'll even have non-alcoholic grapa.

Wouldn't expect much of a problem in Powhatan - most of the people there embrace conservative values.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Grape?

Maybe I've asked this question before, if so, tell me to pack sand...

Do you have a black powder cannon?

He goes by Grapeshot not due to a cannon butbecause pruneshot just didn't have the same pizzazz! :)
Hey ProS, not to worry, I'll be right behind you. :cool:

No not here.

Nope not here either.

Maybe here.

Or here. Or maybe here.

Time will tell. Have a nice night. :lol:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP Citizen...he's fearful that I might lower the muzzle.
That might be better than the wayyou have lowered the standards on this forum with some of your lame jokes. :):p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP Citizen...he's fearful that I might lower the muzzle.
That might be better than the wayyou have lowered the standards on this forum with some of your lame jokes. :):p
No sir, the standards are lowered in tribute, a salute, as we pass in review.

Fain to maintain your stride, lest the pike prod thee forward. :p :)

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP No sir, the standards are lowered in tribute, a salute, as we pass in review.
:D OK. That was pretty good.
Turning wine into vinegar is no feat, but I do admit that you do tax me more than most to reverse that process. :D

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP No sir, the standards are lowered in tribute, a salute, as we pass in review.
Turning wine into vinegar is no feat, but I do admit that you do tax me more than most to reverse that process. :D

Yata hey
I'm not sure how I should take that, but since you said it with a smile, pilgrim, I won't hold it against you. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I'm not sure how I should take that, but since you said it with a smile, pilgrim, I won't hold it against you. :)
Always smile - keeps 'em confused and enhances your face value..

If there wasn't a flash of light and cloud of acrid smoke, it must have been an amicable exchange.:)

Yata hey