• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First UOC (without the UOC gang)

SouthBayr

imported post

So today was the day. A friend invited me to dinner and my first thing I did (after accepting of course) was to look up the location and see if there were any schools close by. There weren't.

So this was going to be the day. I had a friend with me and my son, who are both familiar with UOC. Voice recorder in hand and a backup with my son.

We drove off to the dinner spot and I was getting a little nervous, am I gonna do it or not? When we arrived I went for it, voice recorder recording and my son prepared with his backup.

Glock 22 on my right and clip on the left.

We walk in to the restaurant, first thing I hear is "Are we in Texas?" from some guy off to the side (later to find out he worked there). I ignored it and continued with my order. As the clerk was getting ready to ring me up he asks, "Are you Law Enforcement?" I said "Nope" and he had this look on his face, much like I'd imagine a deer looks when he sees a pair of headlights beating down on him. I paid and I get my change and soda cup and go about my business.

Meanwhile the whole place is staring at me and the guy who thought I was from Texas get's in a heated debate with his friends about carrying legally or not. I try to ignore the conversation, I just wanted to eat my Cheesesteak sandwich. Yeah I know, the stack of pamphlets were sitting on the counter back at home. :banghead:

I enjoy my dinner with my son and friend. We finish and walk out and hang out a bit outside (waiting for my buddy to finish his cigarette) and finally get into our cars and leave.

No incident with a LEO, everyone in the restaurant seemed to stare and go on about their business. All in all it was a great evening.

coolusername2007

imported post

Congrats on a good first carry! :celebrate

And especially your preparation with dual voice recorders and witnesses! I like the fact that you just kept to yourself and didn't feel the need to try to explain your position or justify your decision. Just because we are ambassadors of open carry and the 2A, doesn't mean we must always engage the masses. Carry on!

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Well done!
I am in the bay area (Hayward) several times a year, but I am too unfamiliar with the area to bring along my sidearm.
What restaurant were you in. Since I know the ice has been broken there, I may bring it along next time.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

Well done! ;D

You'll get that a lot in cali. Most people have no idea about their rights. I started off doing gas stations and department stores with OC before I moved up to restaurants.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Glad to hear it went smoothly. I know those first few times are a little nerve-wracking. One thing I suggest is to open carry in private to help get used to the firearm being there. For example, I carried to all my family dinners and similar functions at people's homes. I believe this went a long way toward helping me feel more comfortable about open carry.

(Most of my family and friends are strong supporters of the right to self defense, though many still thought I was doing something illegal. This is also great practice discussing OC and dispelling FUD.)

ourmanthejoker wrote:
You'll get that a lot in cali. Most people have no idea about their rights. I started off doing gas stations and department stores with OC before I moved up to restaurants.
I found the opposite. I'd say maybe 1/3 of the times I carried anybody even noticed. another 1/3 they would just glance down, then go about their business. The rest of the time, they would engage in conversation. I'd say 90% of that conversation was positive/supportive or nuetral. I found it very rare to find someone who voices opposition/dislike to the practice.)

Slug0331

imported post

I didn't even think much of it when I started carrying. Now I carry everywhere I go when at home, and when I'm going somewhere it's not allowed or to a person's house, I just leave it locked in the car but still have my mags and holster on me.

As for those discussing OC, don't avoid them, go up and talk to them. Let them ask questions and you ask some yourself. Make a conversation out of it and both parties come out with more information and a better rounded view of the situation and topic. Avoiding them will only leave them with no answers and varied views.

Unfortunately I think I am one of very very few around here that carry on my own wherever I go. And wewd and coolusername2007 can vouch for that, as I walked in on them and about 10 other pairs of bugged out eyes last weekend. When in numbers, the curious will most often not come ask you questions, and it shows as an organized event, not a common occurance. When you carry on your own, people will be more comfortable in approching you and asking questions. It also shows that it is an individual thing, a true daily carry. That's what we need more of. Carry on your own during your daily routine, that's the purpose of this whole thing.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Slug0331 wrote:
...When in numbers, the curious will most often not come ask you questions, and it shows as an organized event, not a common occurance. When you carry on your own, people will be more comfortable in approching you and asking questions...
Whether carrying in groups, or solo, if you REALLY want to get people to approach you, just get a shirt printed that says, (front & back) "Ask me why I carry a firearm." And then maybe have "www.OpenCarry.org" printed too, for those too timid to accept the invitation.

J.A.G.

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
Glock 22 on my right and clip on the left.

Did you just say CLIP!!!!!!!!!??????? The last time I checked... Glocks have MAGAZINES!!!!! arg.

congrats on your carry experience. I'm still too much of a chicken shit to try it.

yelohamr

imported post

Today I UOC'd with my wife at a Joann's fabric store. No one said anything about me being armed. None of the numerous women (employees and customers) freaked out and ran screaming from the store.

My wife is recovering from back surgery and was wearing a back brace and walking with a cane. Maybe that put everyone at ease or no one even noticed.

pullnshoot25

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Slug0331 wrote:
...When in numbers, the curious will most often not come ask you questions, and it shows as an organized event, not a common occurance. When you carry on your own, people will be more comfortable in approching you and asking questions...
Whether carrying in groups, or solo, if you REALLY want to get people to approach you, just get a shirt printed that says, (front & back) "Ask me why I carry a firearm." And then maybe have "http://www.OpenCarry.org" printed too, for those too timid to accept the invitation.
That is almost too straightforward. What I have found to work is a simple "Curious? Just ask me!" and that gets people drawn in pretty quick. It is a direct sort of ambiguity :)

CREWDAD

imported post

Congrates Buddy! I'm glad it was a positive experience for you. I live in El Cajon in east San Diego County, and have been wondering how El Cajon P.D. is with the OC movement. Well I just saw PULLNSHOOT'S documentation on his experience with them this past April I think it was. So now that I know ECPD has had some endoctrination thanks to PULLNSHOOT25, i'm real close, maybe tomorrow?

pullnshoot25

imported post

CREWDAD wrote:
Congrates Buddy! I'm glad it was a positive experience for you. I live in El Cajon in east San Diego County, and have been wondering how El Cajon P.D. is with the OC movement. Well I just saw PULLNSHOOT'S documentation on his experience with them this past April I think it was. So now that I know ECPD has had some endoctrination thanks to PULLNSHOOT25, i'm real close, maybe tomorrow?
Don't count on it, cops are generally slow learners. However, they have had a good primer.

Make sure to double check your school zones.

CREWDAD

imported post

Thanks, I will check my school zones for sure. Thank you for all of the info that you have posted, its been very educational. With all do respect to my E.C.P.D. Step-son, and all LEO's, if they would come into the Open Carry site and read at least as much as I have.... I think the whole movement and process would get easier for them ( the LEO's )

Also, PULLNSHOOT25, could you send me your El Cajon Detainment Story or tell me where I could find it again, I gave out my last copy. I might want to send it to some others. Thanks