Thread: Proof of Firearms Competency

Post imported post

I am curious about what is accepted as proof of competency for a concealed permit. I'm hoping to make the move from Washington to Colorado as smooth as possible and already having the proof of competency would help speed up the process of getting a permit.

If it helps, it would be Prowers county through with I would be applying.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

Verify w/ the Prowers County Sheriff's office at:

103 E Oak St
    Lamar, CO 81052-3270
    (719) 336-8054

but it's usually something like a firearm safety course, hunter safety course, etc within the past 10 years

Post imported post

If you go to http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_d...d_statutes.htm

you can work your way to the relevant statutes, including:

18-12-203(1)(h)(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

I used a cert from an NRA Basic Pistol Course.

Post imported post

I'm guessing a certificate from something like this wouldn't qualify:
    http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

Post imported post

eBratt wrote:
    That looks like just an online course in which I don't think that will meet the requirement. Generally these type of courses have classroom time with an instructor and have you demonstrate your proficiency with a firearm on a shooting range. You can find a bunch of CHP courses around here for only $75.

Post imported post

Just got off the phone with them with very good news.

Utah requires a firearms safety class for issuance of their permit. I have a Utah permit issued less than ten years ago. Their records clerk who takes care of permits said that if I present a Utah permit that was issued less than ten years ago, it should be sufficient to satisfy the requirement!

Utah permit is apparently more helpful than just with reciprocity!

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    eBratt wrote:
    That looks like just an online course in which I don't think that will meet the requirement. Generally these type of courses have classroom time with an instructor and have you demonstrate your proficiency with a firearm on a shooting range. You can find a bunch of CHP courses around here for only $75.
    I'm sure they wouldn't accept an online course, but there is no live-fire requirement in the law. RMGO has classes without range time and they are accepted.
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

I don't know about the county you're in, but I can brag about mine.

In El Paso, a Hunter's Safety Class ($10 at Sportsman's Warehouse) was sufficient.