• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proof of Firearms Competency

eBratt

imported post

I am curious about what is accepted as proof of competency for a concealed permit. I'm hoping to make the move from Washington to Colorado as smooth as possible and already having the proof of competency would help speed up the process of getting a permit.

If it helps, it would be Prowers county through with I would be applying.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Verify w/ the Prowers County Sheriff's office at:

103 E Oak St
Lamar, CO 81052-3270
(719) 336-8054

but it's usually something like a firearm safety course, hunter safety course, etc within the past 10 years

Anubis

imported post

If you go to http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/colorado_revised_statutes.htm

you can work your way to the relevant statutes, including:

18-12-203(1)(h)(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

I used a cert from an NRA Basic Pistol Course.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

eBratt wrote:
I'm guessing a certificate from something like this wouldn't qualify:
http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
That looks like just an online course in which I don't think that will meet the requirement. Generally these type of courses have classroom time with an instructor and have you demonstrate your proficiency with a firearm on a shooting range. You can find a bunch of CHP courses around here for only $75.

eBratt

imported post

Just got off the phone with them with very good news.

Utah requires a firearms safety class for issuance of their permit. I have a Utah permit issued less than ten years ago. Their records clerk who takes care of permits said that if I present a Utah permit that was issued less than ten years ago, it should be sufficient to satisfy the requirement!

Utah permit is apparently more helpful than just with reciprocity!

entartet17

imported post

Ian wrote:
eBratt wrote:
I'm guessing a certificate from something like this wouldn't qualify:
http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
That looks like just an online course in which I don't think that will meet the requirement. Generally these type of courses have classroom time with an instructor and have you demonstrate your proficiency with a firearm on a shooting range. You can find a bunch of CHP courses around here for only $75.
I'm sure they wouldn't accept an online course, but there is no live-fire requirement in the law. RMGO has classes without range time and they are accepted.