• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got my black hawk today

Bustelo5%

imported post

I love my new black hawk duty serpa 2 its great. I am using a Bianchi patroltech duty belt and the black hawk duty serpa 2 works amaging. It rides perfect off of my body. Its about half an inch off the body which is prefect for having to grab in a hurry. I didnt have the money to spend for the BH Duty 3 with that fancy hood mechinisium but I love this thing.
Thanks you to all the paople who anwsered my stupid questions over the past couple of months about holsters and guns and everything else under the sun.
So for the record get the duty vesrsion of the serpa its great:celebrate

Dreamer

imported post

As another new Serpa owner, I'll chime in and say that so far, I'm completely enamoured with my Serpa CQC. I got one a few days ago for my Para Ordnance S-14.45, and it's a great all-around holster. It is super-fast to draw from, has astoundingly secure retention, and the paddle is incredibly comfy. I carries it around home the day I got it (I was off work) to get used to it, and then carried it CC under my jacket for the next two days at work and while running errands, and it's just a dream.

I really like that you can adjust the cant. Unlike other adjustable-cant holsters I've seen, the Serpa sits pretty close to my hip so it doesn't print much if I'm wearing a light jacket or untucked shirt. The only think I'd change is the ride height. I wish Blackhawk made some sort of vertical offset plate you could mount on it to let it ride an inch or two lower. With a full-sized, double stack 1911, the stock configuration is just a little too high for someone like me with long arms.

But the paddle distributes the weight of my double-stack full-size 1911 on my belt so that it practically floats. It seems MUCH lighter than my Galco IWB holster, and doesn't cause fatigue nearly as quickly. And somehow, it manages to ALSO feel secure, stable, and solid.

Yeah, other folks can say what they will, but honestly I think my Serpa CQC was a great investment. And the fact that they are (I believe) the ONLY polymer/carbon fiber/Kydex-style OC holster on the market that is made in the USA was a BIG plus in my decision-making process.

But all things considered, I think this is a very nice holster. Mine is in the relatively rare "Coyote Tan" finish, and with my Stainless and Parkerized Para, it is a very spiffy rig. And it also matches my khaki Dockers and looks great with bluejeans too--not your typical "carbon black tacti-cool" polymer holster, that's for sure.

With the tan finish, it's more like a 21st century Western rig--a real "gentleman's holster". Next on my "things to buy" list is one or two matching Mag Carriers, and a spiffy belt to compliment it all...

Pics to come soon...

Dreamer

imported post

Here is a pic of my new "Coyote Tan" Serpa CQC carrying my Para Ordnance S-14.45.

Against the khaki pants and tan shirt, it almost qualifies as "concealed"...

I really like the tan finish on this holster--it sets it apart from all the other "tacti-cool" polymer holsters I've seen, and it looks a lot less "menacing" to the uninformed than those big black Kydex monstrosities...

Now I need to get a couple matching Blackhawk CQC mag carriers to go with it, and I'll be dressed to the "9's"...

Or should I say "dressed to the .45's"...;)

Wangmuf

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I really like that you can adjust the cant. Unlike other adjustable-cant holsters I've seen, the Serpa sits pretty close to my hip so it doesn't print much if I'm wearing a light jacket or untucked shirt. The only think I'd change is the ride height. I wish Blackhawk made some sort of vertical offset plate you could mount on it to let it ride an inch or two lower. With a full-sized, double stack 1911, the stock configuration is just a little too high for someone like me with long arms.

From what I've read, the "Duty" belt attachment lowers the carry position of the holster, but I don't know if they sell it separately or not. It might only fit a 2" belt, I'm not sure. Might be worth checking their website out for it.

Dreamer

imported post

My Serpa came with the paddle and the regular belt slide attachment. They both ride at about the same height. In the above photo I've got it mounted on the paddle.

The only other mount I've seen for the Serpa is the one they make for wearing with a "duty jacket" and it has a drop of about 3 or 4 inches, which is WAY too much for my taste. I just wish the standard mounts had another two or three holes so I could lower it about 3/4" or so.

If the mount you're talking about is something else, could you post a link? I haven't seen anything other than the three I've mentioned anywhere, and I've been through the whole Blackhawk website...

jeeper1

imported post

Why not make a sheet metal oval to use as a lowering spacer?

Dreamer

imported post

I haven't noticed any slide wear, but then again, my Para has a brushed stainless slide...

Wangmuf

imported post

After a month, it's wearing lines in the black on my M&P40. I don't worry about it. Pretty much every tool in my garage has wear and tear marks on it from being used, so I figure why should my daily carry gun be any different?

Dreamer

imported post

I picked up a Serpa mag carrier today. It's black (so it doesn't match my holster) but now that I know it will fit my Para Ordnance mags, I'll DEFINITELY be ordering one or two from an online seller. As soon as my matching tan mag carriers get in, I'll be offering up this new black one for sale (complete with original packaging). Should just be a few weeks, so this blakc one is guaranteed to be VERY low-mileage, and in near-pristine shape when I offer it up...

I'll keep y'all posted on my impressions, but from what I've seen so far, this mag carrier appears to be of the same high quality and performance as the Serpa holsters...

Thoreau

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The only think I'd change is the ride height. I wish Blackhawk made some sort of vertical offset plate you could mount on it to let it ride an inch or two lower. With a full-sized, double stack 1911, the stock configuration is just a little too high for someone like me with long arms.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jacket-Slot-Duty-Belt-Loop,839,82.htm

Found that in another thread just a few minutes ago. Might be something to consider if the need is strong enough =)

Signed - Another happy Serpa user.

Edit: Doh, this one has already been covered. Please disregard!

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I only use Serpa's, I have carried 1911s Glocks and Sigs, I have not had any wear from the holster and I have tried to break the damn things with no luck, needless to say I trust it with my life, unholstering you learn not to let the lever slow you down even in stressful situations its a breeze.

Not a CC holster thats for sure but hey I dont have a CCW anyways

Wangmuf

imported post

ComSec wrote:
I only use Serpa's, I have carried 1911s Glocks and Sigs, I have not had any wear from the holster and I have tried to break the damn things with no luck, needless to say I trust it with my life, unholstering you learn not to let the lever slow you down even in stressful situations its a breeze.

Not a CC holster thats for sure but hey I dont have a CCW anyways

None? Mine has worn 2 lines along the top of the slide of my M&P40, as well as the sides of the trigger guard from the passive retention. My practicing a few hundred holster draws is a very large contributing factor in those wear marks, though. At least a years worth of daily carry holster/unholstering.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mine have had no problems, hell I took a fall down a flight of stairs with very little marks, it may be a fluke but the more I batter them the stronger they are LOL

Wangmuf

imported post

ComSec wrote:
mine have had no problems, hell I took a fall down a flight of stairs with very little marks, it may be a fluke but the more I batter them the stronger they are LOL

Oh, I'm not contesting their strength. I just know that their material is abrasive, just like almost every solid on earth. What's the finish on your gun at the contact points with the holster?

Wangmuf

imported post

ComSec wrote:
the standard serpa points the trigger gaurd and sides of the slide my glock is standard glock finish and the Sig is 226 nitron finish

I hope you have great luck with yours, if you're one of those people who has to have a pristine finish for your carry guns. I, on the other hand, don't mind the wear my SERPA has caused on mine.

For those who do wish to preserve their finish, yet like the SERPA, there are fabrics that you can use that will minimize the wear. I believe a lot of high-end holster manufacturers use suede.

Dreamer

imported post

The whole "slide wear" issue reminds me of the different attitudes about the looks of the bikes of Harley vs. Triumph owners. Many Harley owners like their bikes to look like the just came off the show-room floor, whether they have 5 or 50,000 miles on them. Whereas, Triumph owners actually consider the heat discoloration of their header pipes and routine wear of the leather parts to be a "badge of honor", that shows that their bikes are actually used for their intended purpose, and are not just 5-digit price-tagged 2-wheeled jewelry... :p

My Para is showing a tiny bit of wear on the receiver--at the front of the bottom of the guide-rod channel, and on the sides of the front of the trigger guard. My slide is SS, so it's not showing wear, but the receiver is parkerized steel. Sure it's got a few places where the black is starting to rub a little, but I have NO problem whatsoever with my firearm looking like I actually carry and use it, ESPECIALLY since I carry it daily. It is a tool, and as anyone who uses tools knows, tools work better when they're broken in a little. As long as it goes "bang" when I push the trigger, and isn't rusty or dirty, a little cosmetic wear in the finish isn't going to break my heart. In fact, I think it gives my Para a little bit of "personality" because it's the kind of wear that only comes from daily carry and use.

If it gets too much wear, I can just send it off to get re-parkerized, or maybe have the receiver refinished with DuraCoat, which from all reports seems to be pretty much indestructable. Hmmm. I wonder how it would look with a matte dark OD finish and rosewood grips sitting under that Stainless Steel slide?....:cool:

I use a Serpa, and I prefer Triumphs.

'Nuff sed... ;)