Thread: Gun Safety Class

Post imported post

Anyone know of any cheap/free gun safety classes in the Kitsap area happening this month? There is a distinct possibility I may be moving to rural Colorado where they require a safety class to apply for a permit and I'd rather not have to track down a class there. It sounds like it can be one of the most basic classes.

If there is anyone who teaches a class like that and is willing to let me attempt to "test out" of it (pass the test without listening to the lectures), I'd be even more grateful. My dad was a federal firearms instructor and taught me and I have taught a number of other people safe firearms handling. I just don't have any "paper" to prove it.

Thanks.

Ethan
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

I found this online class... might be worth a look (it's free).

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Post imported post

Do you have a Hunter Safety Card? That is sufficient in CO. I'm not sure about the online program, without looking up the law, but the requirements are pretty lax.

Post imported post

One thing that statisfies the training requirement is:

A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

From CRS 18-12-203.

Handgun training class is defined as:

(5) "Handgun training class" means:

(a) A law enforcement training firearms safety course;

(b) A firearms safety course offered by a law enforcement agency, an institution of higher education, or a public or private institution or organization or firearms training school, that is open to the general public and is taught by a certified instructor; or

(c) A firearms safety course or class that is offered and taught by a certified instructor.

The issue with the online class is whether or not it is "taught" by a certified instructor.

Post imported post

Yeah, I don't know that the online class will satisfy.

Anyone over here an NRA home firearm safety instructor?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

Post imported post

You might want to check the gun shows as they typically will hold a course there on site for free (well, no charge besides admission into the show).

http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/education.htm

Yes, if you are not a member you can't carry a gun in the show.

If you are a member... yes, you still can't carry a loaded gun into the show but you can carry a gun.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

Post imported post

Thanks for all the input. I ended up calling the Sheriff's Office. They will accept most anything that is less than 10 years old. As Utah requires a safety class for issuance, I asked if they would accept a Utah permit that is less than 10 years from issuance and they said yes! So no class needed.

Thanks anyway, all!

Post imported post

I told you it was pretty lax. What county are you moving to?

Post imported post

I don't think it's free, but Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club www.gunsafety.org usually offers classes.

Post imported post

I am flying down for a face to face interview next week in Prowers County (Southeast Colorado). No guarantees but things are sounding very promising.