• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Safety Class

eBratt

imported post

Anyone know of any cheap/free gun safety classes in the Kitsap area happening this month? There is a distinct possibility I may be moving to rural Colorado where they require a safety class to apply for a permit and I'd rather not have to track down a class there. It sounds like it can be one of the most basic classes.

If there is anyone who teaches a class like that and is willing to let me attempt to "test out" of it (pass the test without listening to the lectures), I'd be even more grateful. My dad was a federal firearms instructor and taught me and I have taught a number of other people safe firearms handling. I just don't have any "paper" to prove it.

Thanks.

Ethan

olypendrew

imported post

One thing that statisfies the training requirement is:

A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

From CRS 18-12-203.

Handgun training class is defined as:

(5) "Handgun training class" means:

(a) A law enforcement training firearms safety course;

(b) A firearms safety course offered by a law enforcement agency, an institution of higher education, or a public or private institution or organization or firearms training school, that is open to the general public and is taught by a certified instructor; or

(c) A firearms safety course or class that is offered and taught by a certified instructor.

The issue with the online class is whether or not it is "taught" by a certified instructor.

oldkim

imported post

You might want to check the gun shows as they typically will hold a course there on site for free (well, no charge besides admission into the show).

http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/education.htm

Yes, if you are not a member you can't carry a gun in the show.

If you are a member... yes, you still can't carry a loaded gun into the show but you can carry a gun.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

eBratt

imported post

Thanks for all the input. I ended up calling the Sheriff's Office. They will accept most anything that is less than 10 years old. As Utah requires a safety class for issuance, I asked if they would accept a Utah permit that is less than 10 years from issuance and they said yes! So no class needed.

Thanks anyway, all!

eBratt

imported post

I am flying down for a face to face interview next week in Prowers County (Southeast Colorado). No guarantees but things are sounding very promising.