• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent flip flops of store policy

Jblack44

imported post

So it seems we are going through some growing pains as far as getting OC acceptable within stores. Stores that have stated (in policy) that they follow state law in regards to carrying a firearm.There have been a few recent stories of managers asking people to leave the gun outside or at least cover it up. Corporate seems to be leaving it up to the individual stores now as to if OC is acceptible. Basically not addressing the issue head on.

So what do we do as a group? Like many have said, $$$$ is what drives these stores (obviously). So maybe we can draft a monthly letter through MOC inc.showing them the amount of money they are driving away??? If individual people can send in the amounts that they spend at competitors stores (who allow us to carry), to MOC inc., then we total it all up and send it to Corp HQ.

$$$ talks as they say.

Just an idea. Not sure if it make sense, but I'd thought I'd run it up the flag pole and see who salutes.. :)

Michigander

imported post

I know I always hammer away on this, but try to remember that store policies keeping us out are a healthy sign of progress.

There WILL be stores that don't let us in, and there will be stores that are happy to have our business. Beyond asking those in charge for clarification, I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. It could serve to make us look bad if we keep pestering businesses.

autosurgeon

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I know I always hammer away on this, but try to remember that store policies keeping us out are a healthy sign of progress.

There WILL be stores that don't let us in, and there will be stores that are happy to have our business. Beyond asking those in charge for clarification, I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. It could serve to make us look bad if we keep pestering businesses.

I tend to agree... Also I rarely shop at Walmart anyway so it is no great loss to me... I would rather spend my money locally.

Ammo can be found way cheaper online anyway as long as you don't mind buying 500 rounds at a time..

As for groceries I find that the local stores are cheaper.

Electronics I buy from tiger direct and Newegg ... and that pretty much covers what I might have been tempted to purchase at walmart....

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Michigander wrote:
...store policies keeping us out are a healthy sign of progress...

Sort of like when you're trying to climb a hill... you fall and roll back down. That is progress, but in the wrong direction.

Store policy prohibiting OC is a failure on our part. We need to understand why they take that position (to retain their sheepy customers) and find a way to address it to the satisfaction of their bottom lines.Only then can you call it progress.

WARCHILD

imported post

Agreed, which is partly the point I have poorly attempted to make. Let's not push the issue to hard or they may adopt the no guns policy chain wide. As we progress here in Mich. with the acceptance of OC, as in other states; then it will ease the minds of the sheep and be more common; therefore hopefully bringing them to the policy of OC is OK.
Our true mission...imho...is to increase public awareness of OC and thereby gaining acceptance in most if not all businesses.

PDinDetroit

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Agreed, which is partly the point I have poorly attempted to make. Let's not push the issue to hard or they may adopt the no guns policy chain wide. As we progress here in Mich. with the acceptance of OC, as in other states; then it will ease the minds of the sheep and be more common; therefore hopefully bringing them to the policy of OC is OK.
Our true mission...imho...is to increase public awareness of OC and thereby gaining acceptance in most if not all businesses.
+1 - Very well stated. Little by slowly...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I want them to ban guns nationwide, then we can boycott the hell out of them. Or admit all lawful carry. Listen, right now they are getting it both ways. They can kick you out for lawful carry YET they can say they are pro-gun.

Well which is it? I'd rather know the color of the snake so I can either kill it if need be or let it go.

WARCHILD

imported post

Oooohh...you trouble maker :p. I guess I have some work to do on you. :cool: For my particular area, I would rather at least have their permission to CC until I can hopefully educate them and change their mind, than be un-armed and need it!
We will have to agree to disagree on this one.:uhoh:

Bronson

imported post

What bugs me is that without a set corporate or store policy each individual manager gets to make the rules when they are in charge.

So I OC intoWalmart in Portage at 11:00 p.m. all the time with no problem but if I show up during the day I might get asked to leave because the day manager doesn't like it ....what a crock.

Bronson

taxwhat

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
+1 - Very well stated. Little by slowly...
+2

Michigander

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Store policy prohibiting OC is a failure on our part. We need to understand why they take that position (to retain their sheepy customers) and find a way to address it to the satisfaction of their bottom lines.Only then can you call it progress.
I don't know about that. The problem is that you can't always fix stupid. I suppose you should try if you want to, the only important point I'm trying to make is we have to be careful not to offend store owners. We need to be seen as the abnormally polite people that we are.

Arizona is perhaps the best example I know of. If you go there, you'll see businesses everywhere that say no guns. It's hard to rattle off any exact numbers, but I'd say more than 1/4 of stores in the Phoenix area prohibit carry by policy. And in that state, you'll see people open carrying who have been doing so for 30 years and don't even know this site exists. Nearly everyone knows its legal and safe, but there are just those people who won't allow it.

The fundamental difference between here and Arizona is that people here are much more down to business. I'd describe the attitude there as laid back and lazy, which is the opposite of Michigan, the state that for so many generations has been a cornerstone of industrial power. We here in Michigan like to get things done. That's why I think that if we keep up the pace we have, it is easily possible that open carrying in Michigan will outdo open carrying in Arizona. If that happens, there is no question at all that stores everywhere will ban guns. It is simply a fact of life.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
I don't know about that. The problem is that you can't always fix stupid. I suppose you should try if you want to, the only important point I'm trying to make is we have to be careful not to offend store owners. We need to be seen as the abnormally polite people that we are.

Arizona is perhaps the best example I know of. If you go there, you'll see businesses everywhere that say no guns. It's hard to rattle off any exact numbers, but I'd say more than 1/4 of stores in the Phoenix area prohibit carry by policy. And in that state, you'll see people open carrying who have been doing so for 30 years and don't even know this site exists. Nearly everyone knows its legal and safe, but there are just those people who won't allow it.

The fundamental difference between here and Arizona is that people here are much more down to business. I'd describe the attitude there as laid back and lazy, which is the opposite of Michigan, the state that for so many generations has been a cornerstone of industrial power. We here in Michigan like to get things done. That's why I think that if we keep up the pace we have, it is easily possible that open carrying in Michigan will outdo open carrying in Arizona. If that happens, there is no question at all that stores everywhere will ban guns. It is simply a fact of life.

You have essential agreed with one of the largest fears of the OC movement by non-OCers. That we will get all the stores to ban firearms. I say BS.

As a matter of fact MOC, Inc. is trying to be pro-active in this by having stores post OC welcome signs. There are far more Ma and Pa shops to spend your money at that I don't care if all the Big Chain businesses shoot you at the door for having a gun. I can always support those that support RKBA.

Michigander I'm a bit surprised.