• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New 12031 Case Law

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting.

“The term public place generally means a location readily accessible to all those who wish to go there . . . . The key consideration is whether a member of the public can access the place without challenge.‟

It has been held that a “public place includes the area outside a home in which a stranger is able to walk without challenge.”

What I now wonder is, if I have no fence, but clearly visible NO TRESPASSING signs posted all around my yard, would that qualify as a "challenge" to entry, and therefore make it a private place?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MudCamper wrote:
Interesting.

“The term public place generally means a location readily accessible to all those who wish to go there . . . . The key consideration is whether a member of the public can access the place without challenge.‟

It has been held that a “public place includes the area outside a home in which a stranger is able to walk without challenge.”

What I now wonder is, if I have no fence, but clearly visible NO TRESPASSING signs posted all around my yard, would that qualify as a "challenge" to entry, and therefore make it a private place?
It would seem logical and reasonable that "No Trespassing" signs would constitute a "challenge", so, therefore, in California, it does not. :?

mjones

imported post

My front yard is 'fenced' with lots of shrubbery and rose bushes...I wonder if that counts...

Decoligny

imported post

mjones wrote:
My front yard is 'fenced' with lots of shrubbery and rose bushes...I wonder if that counts...

If there is an access, where they can walk right into the yard, without having to open a gate, or climb over something, then I would say probably not.

inbox485

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B204571.PDF

Here is an interesting piece of case law. 

Put that fence up around your front yard and you are good to go carrying a loaded firearm, even in Compton.
I was reading about stuff like this recently. Here are some case laws regarding private property being a public place:

People v. Olson (1971) 18 Cal.App.3d 592, 598 [driveway, lawn, and porch in front of defendant's house were public places for purposes of section 647, subdivision (f), in that they were accessible and open to common or general use]

People v. Green (1971) 15 Cal.App.3d 766, 771 [hospital parking lot, accessible to members of public having business with the hospital, was a public place]

cf. People v. White (1991) 227 Cal.App.3d 886, 890-893 [defendant's fenced front yard, containing three dogs which acted as deterrents to public access, was not a public place for purposes of section 647, subdivision (f), even though the yard was open to public view]

But relevant to carrying a firearm, 12025, 12031, and 626.9 all have exceptions for private property which is not the case in other laws prohibiting certain acts in public places. In People v. Tapia (2005)129 Cal.App.4th 1153 , 29 Cal.Rptr.3d 158 it states:
That the Legislature did not necessarily intend section 626.9 to be governed by the "public place" analysis is also suggested by the exception for places of business. It is readily apparent that a great many places of business are open to common use and enjoyment by members of the public. Nonetheless, section 626.9's exception expressly encompasses places of business.
In Tapia (2005), a sidewalk was ruled to be more public property than private for the purposes of 626.9.

This is complicated by People v. Yarbrough (2008) , Cal.App.4th where a conviction for 12025 and 12031 where upheld against a defendant while he was in a driveway.

But, in spite of Tapia, the convictions were upheld based on public place analysis. The defendant claimed Heller, and challenged jury instructions regarding public place definition, but never raised the private property exception. Since the private place exception was never raised by the defendant, the appellate judge ignored that detail.

As it stands, it is my opinion (IANAL/TINLA) that you are legally protected in having a loaded and or concealed handgun in your front yard. It is the unfortunate reality however,that it is a coin toss whether or not a DA or judge would respect the law.

inbox485

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
I dont have a fence in my front yard so that makes it a public place? well then the county better start payingmy property tax for it!!!
An unfenced front yard is a public place but private property. That makes it a gray area legally. Theseus's case may settle it if it goes on far enough.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

inbox485 wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
I dont have a fence in my front yard so that makes it a public place? well then the county better start payingmy property tax for it!!!
An unfenced front yard is a public place but private property. That makes it a gray area legally. Theseus's case may settle it if it goes on far enough.
Thesues' case is unrelated to this topic. 626.9 Exempts private property (versus private places). It's easy to get this exemption confused with the "public places" where 12031 applies.

IIRC, Thesues was confronted by LE while conducting business in a public laundry facility, which is definitely private property (unless the city owns/leases the facility and runs the business), but which is also definitely a public place (which has no bearing on 626.9, no matter how much the DA in his case wishes to try to apply it).

inbox485

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
I dont have a fence in my front yard so that makes it a public place? well then the county better start paying my property tax for it!!!
Thesues' case is unrelated to this topic. 626.9 Exempts private property (versus private places). It's easy to get this exemption confused with the "public places" where 12031 applies.

IIRC, Thesues was confronted by LE while conducting business in a public laundry facility, which is definitely private property (unless the city owns/leases the facility and runs the business), but which is also definitely a public place (which has no bearing on 626.9, no matter how much the DA in his case wishes to try to apply it).

Theseus's case was in the parking lot of said laundry mat according to:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/31135-1.html

626.9 exempts private property (PC626.9(c)(1)) and 12031 exempts private property lawfully possessed by the individual (PC12031(h)). Neither use the term "private place". So while not the exact same thing, I doubt a case ruling on one could not affect the other.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

inbox485 wrote:

626.9 exempts private property (PC626.9(c)(1)) and 12031 exempts private property lawfully possessed by the individual (PC12031(h)). Neither use the term "private place". So while not the exact same thing, I doubt a case ruling on one could not affect the other.
Almost right. The devil is in the details.

12031 only exempts "posession" on private property. In People v Overturf, the court ruled that "carrying" is not exempted, only "possession" is; and since it's possible to possess a firearm without carrying it, that's what the legislature intended to exempt. So, if the loaded firearm were sitting on a table next to you in your unfenced front yard, then it would be legally exempted. (The trick is getting the pistol loaded without "carrying" it - just slide the mag in without picking it up, I guess...)

You are correct that this decision effects 12031, as it is material in this case. 12031 does rely on whether your private property is a "public place". 626.9, however, does NOT rely on "public places" at all... it simply doesn't apply on private property, whether public or not. (Though the DA in Thesues' case wishes to rewrite the law as such.)

inbox485

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
inbox485 wrote:

Almost right. The devil is in the details.

12031 only exempts "posession" on private property. In People v Overturf, the court ruled that "carrying" is not exempted, only "possession" is; and since it's possible to possess a firearm without carrying it, that's what the legislature intended to exempt. So, if the loaded firearm were sitting on a table next to you in your unfenced front yard, then it would be legally exempted. (The trick is getting the pistol loaded without "carrying" it - just slide the mag in without picking it up, I guess...)

You are correct that this decision effects 12031, as it is material in this case. 12031 does rely on whether your private property is a "public place". 626.9, however, does NOT rely on "public places" at all... it simply doesn't apply on private property, whether public or not. (Though the DA in Thesues' case wishes to rewrite the law as such.)

Quite right. I was thinking of the private property exception for 12025. Either way, I have a fenced yard, and should I move in the future, I will at least have one of those cute little picket fences.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

inbox485 wrote:
Quite right. I was thinking of the private property exception for 12025. Either way, I have a fenced yard, and should I move in the future, I will at least have one of those cute little picket fences.
Careful to make sure it's a sturdy picket fence... IIRC, the case had some language about "decorative" fences not being a true barrier to entry.

An interesting note on 12025, in light of Overturf. Look at the wording of 12025. It only prohibits "carrying" a concealed firearm. As we know from Overturf carrying is only one specific form of possession. So it is not illegal to possess a concealed handgun, unless that handgun is also carried.

So, under the court's logic, the legislature didn't intend 12025 to stop us from, say, going into a restaurant, placing our unloaded firearm on the seat/table next to us, and then covering it with a newspaper of jacket. As long as we expose it again before carrying it out...

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
Careful to make sure it's a sturdy picket fence... IIRC, the case had some language about "decorative" fences not being a true barrier to entry.

An interesting note on 12025, in light of Overturf. Look at the wording of 12025. It only prohibits "carrying" a concealed firearm. As we know from Overturf carrying is only one specific form of possession. So it is not illegal to possess a concealed handgun, unless that handgun is also carried.

So, under the court's logic, the legislature didn't intend 12025 to stop us from, say, going into a restaurant, placing our unloaded firearm on the seat/table next to us, and then covering it with a newspaper of jacket. As long as we expose it again before carrying it out...
So, If you are sitting in your front yard, and your firearm is concealed under your shirt, since you are not in motion, you "HAVE" a concealed firearm (legal). If you were to get up and walk around, you would then be "CARRYING" a concealed fiream (illegal).

If a cop showed up and said "Come over here", would you have to say "I can't without breaking the law, I have a concealed firearm, but I can't carry it"?

inbox485

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
inbox485 wrote:

So, If you are sitting in your front yard, and your firearm is concealed under your shirt, since you are not in motion, you "HAVE" a concealed firearm (legal).  If you were to get up and walk around, you would then be "CARRYING" a concealed fiream (illegal).

If a cop showed up and said "Come over here", would you have to say "I can't without breaking the law, I have a concealed firearm, but I can't carry it"?
I would imagine that courts would rule that a firearm on your person is carrying.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
So, If you are sitting in your front yard, and your firearm is concealed under your shirt, since you are not in motion, you "HAVE" a concealed firearm (legal). If you were to get up and walk around, you would then be "CARRYING" a concealed fiream (illegal).

I think you may be right... here's the footnote from Overturf:

[1] "Carrying" and "having" are not synonymous. "Having" relates to an "act or state of possessing," Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, page 1145, while "carrying" refers to the "act or instance of carrying" and the verb "carry" in relevant definition connotes "to convey, or transport ...;" and "to transfer from one place ... to another." (Id. at p. 412.)
As long as the weapon is not being "conveyed or transported from one place to another", then you are not "carrying".

However, I don't recommend anybody try using this defense. California courts seem to like "making new law" at any opportunity.