• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme Court to Hear Chicago Gun Case

nevinsb

imported post

Maybe I'm a little slow, but how will this affect WI's status against issuing CCW permits?

Constitutionalist

imported post

nevinsb wrote:
Maybe I'm a little slow, but how will this affect WI's status against issuing CCW permits?
If the supreme court rules the 2nd amendment applies to the states, which is what this case is about, a person could sue the state saying the prohibition against CCW violates their rights. Precedent would be set by the supreme court and the law would be found unconstitutional.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The effect of the federal case on Wisconsin is pretty cloudy. The McDonald case is about Chicago's absolute ban of handguns. Wisconsin does not ban handguns it regulates the manner of carry of dangerous weapons. The Wisconsin supreme court has ruled that the regulation of the manner of carry does not infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. In fact it hasbeen declared by the AG that open carry of weapons is protected by the State's constitution. I think it will be unlikely that the U.S. Supreme Court decision in McDonald will have any impact on ss941.23. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

[align=left]To: Wisconsin District Attorneys, Deputy DisAttorneys and Assistant District Attorneys [/align]
[align=left]From: J.B. Van Hollen [/align]
[align=left]Attorney General [/align]
[align=left]
Subject: The Interplay Between Article I, § 25 Of The Wisconsin Constitution, The Open Carry Of Firearms And Wisconsin’s Disorderly Conduct Statute, Wis. Stat. § 947.01 [/align][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
[align=center]Summary [/align]
[/font][/font]
¶1. Under Article I, § 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution, a person has the right to openly carry a firearm for any of the purposes enumerated in that Section, subject to reasonable regulation as discussed herein. The Wisconsin Department of Justice (the Department) believes that the mere open carrying of a firearm by a person, absent additional facts and circumstances, should not result in a disorderly conduct charge from a prosecutor.

emphsis mine

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lammie wrote:
The effect of the federal case on Wisconsin is pretty cloudy. The McDonald case is about Chicago's absolute ban of handguns. Wisconsin does not ban handguns it regulates the manner of carry of dangerous weapons. The Wisconsin supreme court has ruled that the regulation of the manner of carry does not infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. In fact it hasbeen declared by the AG that open carry of weapons is protected by the State's constitution. I think it will be unlikely that the U.S. Supreme Court decision in McDonald will have any impact on ss941.23. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I agree. I think most of the impact will be felt in places like Illinois with no constitutional protection for bearing arms. That will probably be the type of place that get's concentrated on first.

Since we have a strong constitutional protection in Wisconsin already we have to do most of the fighting here. The thing I'm wondering about though is if the federal concealed carry bill could be passed after incorporation without states rights issues.

I'm almost always for less federal involvement but it sure would be nice to be able to carry anywhere without having to worry about the local.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I hope our neigbors to the south get somewhere with this. It is ridiculous how much B-S they need to endure toeven posess ammunition.

There are quite a few other communities that have outlawed ownership of a handgun, and I thinksome do not allow longguns either. Morton Grove comes to mind, and I think the town of Lisle has a firearm prohibiton too.

Constitutionalist

imported post

If they win, the decision will probably state that "unreasonable" restrictions are not allowed. What will be considered unreasonable is the question. I would think that a complete ban on CCW, especially considering 48 other states allow it would be an unreasonable restriction on our rights to BEAR arms.

The question would be if the NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation, or a similar group would come in and sue. None of us could afford to do it.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Definitely the interpretation of "unreasonable" is critical. The Wisconsin Supreme Court has already ruled that the complete ban of concealed weapons is not an "unreasonable" restriction to Article I section 25.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Definitely the interpretation of "unreasonable" is critical. The Wisconsin Supreme Court has already ruled that the complete ban of concealed weapons is not an "unreasonable" restriction to Article I section 25.
The Heller decision and comments by Scalia seem to support banning the concealed carry of weapons also.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/court-to-rule-on-gun-rights-terrorism-law/#more-11314

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 10:04 am | Lyle Denniston | Taking on a major new constitutional dispute over gun rights, the Supreme Court agreed on Wednesday to decide whether to apply the Second Amendment to state, county, and city government laws. In another major case among ten new grants, the Court said it will rule on the constitutionality of one of the government’s most-used legal weapons in the “war on terrorism” — a law that outlaws “material support” to terrorist groups.
The Court had three cases from which to choose on the Second Amendment issue — two cases involving a Chicago gun ban, and one case on a New York ban on a martial-arts weapon. It chose one of the Chicago cases — McDonald v. Chicago (08-1521) — a case brought to it by Alan Gura, the Alexandria, VA., lawyer who won the 2008 decision for the first time recognizing a constitutional right to have a gun for personal use, at least in self-defense in the home (District of Columbia v. Heller). A second appeal on the Chicago dispute had been filed by the National Rifle Association (NRA v. Chicago, 08-1497). Presumably, the Court will hold onto that case until it decides McDonald; the same is likely for the New York case, Maloney v. Rice (08-1592) — a case in which Justice Sonia Sotomayor had participated when she was a judge on the Second Circuit Court.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Constitutionalist wrote:
If they win, the decision will probably state that "unreasonable" restrictions are not allowed. What will be considered unreasonable is the question. I would think that a complete ban on CCW, especially considering 48 other states allow it would be an unreasonable restriction on our rights to BEAR arms.

The question would be if the NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation, or a similar group would come in and sue. None of us could afford to do it.
Then wouldn't this already apply to Wisconsin?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/court-to-rule-on-gun-rights-terrorism-law/#more-11314

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 10:04 am | Lyle Denniston | Taking on a major new constitutional dispute over gun rights, the Supreme Court agreed on Wednesday to decide whether to apply the Second Amendment to state, county, and city government laws. In another major case among ten new grants, the Court said it will rule on the constitutionality of one of the government’s most-used legal weapons in the “war on terrorism” — a law that outlaws “material support” to terrorist groups.
The Court had three cases from which to choose on the Second Amendment issue — two cases involving a Chicago gun ban, and one case on a New York ban on a martial-arts weapon. It chose one of the Chicago cases — McDonald v. Chicago (08-1521) — a case brought to it by Alan Gura, the Alexandria, VA., lawyer who won the 2008 decision for the first time recognizing a constitutional right to have a gun for personal use, at least in self-defense in the home (District of Columbia v. Heller). A second appeal on the Chicago dispute had been filed by the National Rifle Association (NRA v. Chicago, 08-1497). Presumably, the Court will hold onto that case until it decides McDonald; the same is likely for the New York case, Maloney v. Rice (08-1592) — a case in which Justice Sonia Sotomayor had participated when she was a judge on the Second Circuit Court.
Does that disqualify her from having anything to do with this case?