• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

same old question, open carry in a car without a concealed permit

led for breakfast

imported post

so i have been oc for the last 2 weeks now,but every thime i get back in to my car i have to unload the gun and put it back in the trunk

the question is

can i keep my smith and wesson while its loaded over the passenger seat even if i don't have a concealed permit

thank you all

i live in falls church virgina

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
ok thank you i will try it even when the gun is black as the night skyand the seats are black too
So is my heart, but it is not hidden from common observation - I wear it on my sleeve.

You may OC a camo gun in a camo holster while wearing BDUs and sitting on camo seatcovers. You might be called a wannabe, but your gun is NOT concealed.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
led for breakfast wrote:
ok thank you i will try it even when the gun is black as the night sky and the seats are black too
So is my heart, but it is not hidden from common observation - I wear it on my sleeve.

You may OC a camo gun in a camo holster while wearing BDUs and sitting on camo seatcovers.  You might be called a wannabe, but your gun is NOT concealed.

Yata hey
Now that I disagree with because you are hiding the "true nature" of what you are carrying.. just like the North American Arms belt buckel pistol in PLAIN SITE have been considered concealed.. (because the reasonable man does not even know it is a real gun)>
Ed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
led for breakfast wrote:
ok thank you i will try it even when the gun is black as the night skyand the seats are black too

You may OC a camo gun in a camo holster while wearing BDUs and sitting on camo seatcovers. You might be called a wannabe, but your gun is NOT concealed.

Yata hey
Now that I disagree with because you are hiding the "true nature" of what you are carrying.. just like the North American Arms belt buckel pistol in PLAIN SITE have been considered concealed.. (because the reasonable man does not even know it is a real gun)>
Ed
The NAA belt buckle is deceiving - it looks like well, a belt buckle.

A camo 1911 like a camo AR15 still looks like a gun - no question in my mind. Its the same as black gun, in black inside the waist band holster, worn with black shirt.

I see nothing establishing that the color of the gun related to the color of the clothing makes any difference between OC and CC.

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
led for breakfast wrote:

Yata hey
Ed
The NAA belt buckle is deceiving - it looks like well, a belt buckle.

A camo 1911 like a camo AR15 still looks like a gun - no question in my mind. Its the same as black gun, in black inside the waist band holster, worn with black shirt.

I see nothing establishing that the color of the gun related to the color of the clothing makes any difference between OC and CC.

Yata hey
I agree with Grapeshot here. His examples are spot on.

Marco

imported post

ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Ed

Grapeshot-spot on:D

I Oc'ed @ the Fairfax County fair wearing all black to include gun and holster, the only thing that stood out was my GSL button.

I don't carry my permit (or ID)when I OC.

[line]

ETA:
Running the plates on my car wouldn't reveal that someone driving it has a permit.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Ed

I Oc'ed @ the Fairfax County fair wearing all black to include gun and holster, the only thing that stood out was my GSL button.

[line]

ETA:
Running the plates on my car wouldn't reveal that someone driving it has a permit.
May I suggest you reconsider doing this? The reason is this. What if you are within 1000' of a school doing this? Technically you are in violation of federal law and an LEO could arrest you for doing this.

And we really need you out and about and free to carry the cause.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Ed

[line]

ETA:
May I suggest you reconsider doing this? The reason is this. What if you are within 1000' of a school doing this? Technically you are in violation of federal law and an LEO could arrest you for doing this.

Local LE enforces federal laws?

That and he did not say that he OCs indiscriminately.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
led for breakfast wrote:
SNIP So is my heart, but it is not hidden from common observation - I wear it on my sleeve for all to see.
QFT :):p
In case there was any doubt, I fixed it.

Yata hey

All American Nightmare

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
led for breakfast wrote:

Yata

I gotta try that look its gotta be priceless !!!!!

SouthernBoy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Ed

[line]

ETA:

Local LE enforces federal laws?

That and he did not say that he OCs indiscriminately.

Yata hey
From what I understand county and local police would be expected to enforce this federal law, but I am not sure about this. Perhaps is why you almost never here of anyone being arrested for doing this.

I was just mentioning this so that people might know that it may not be a bad idea to carry one's permit as a "just in case" thing. If they happened to encounter an LEO who for whatever reason, just does not like citizens to be carrying guns, he might be looking for situations where he could make someone's life miserable. Carrying the law to the letter could save someone from such nonsense.

So I hope you're right in your questioning this one.

Marco

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Thanks for the concern.:D

I don't see anywhere in thelaw where it states I have to have my permit on my person when I'm in a school GFZ, I just need to posses a valid one.

Beside I believe it is impossible to comply with the GFZ acts.

[line]

Back to the OP's question:

I don't believe a firearm carried openly would be consider concealed when seated in a car or booth in a Restaurant/club.

IANALNDIPOOTBT.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I don't see anywhere in thelaw where it states I have to have my permit on my person when I'm in a school GFZ, I just need to posses a valid one.

[line]
but to carry concealed, you must have that permit on your person with a government issued photo id

SouthernBoy

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Thanks for the concern.:D

[line]

Back to the OP's question:

I don't believe a firearm carried openly would be consider concealed when seated in a car or booth in a Restaurant/club.

IANALNDIPOOTBT.

Excellent! I just re-read U.S. Code 18,922, q.2.B.ii and it clearly states that the,

"..individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license"

As you pointed out, it does not say you must be carrying your "license" at the time you are carrying your firearm in the school zone. Great catch, Agent19!