• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What gun meets these parameters?

rashley

imported post

I’m starting the search for an auto. It’ll be used for both CC and OC, but “super small” isn’t a requirement.

I know what features I like, but am having a rough time combing through the pantheon of makes and models, so I thought I’d just post my list of requirements and see what you fine folks recommend.

My requirements are:
1. Auto
2. Not[/b] single-action only.
3. 9mm
4. Manual Safety
5. Full grip (grip extensions attached to the clip don’t qualify, I want a full grip on the gun itself).
6. Stainless, titanium, or polymer finish.
7. “Drop” safety.
8. External hammer (preferred).
9. Won’t break the bank (preferred).

My perfect gun would be either the Walther P22 (IF it were 9mm) or the CZ 97B Stainless (IF you could engage the safety with the hammer down).

Now, I know a lot of you are going to want to try and argue some of these requirements (namely the combination of 2 and 4). I’ve read the debates and had several of them in person. Don’t bother, I know what I want and I like what I like. :D

I know that several Taurus models fit the bill. I was just wondering if there might be others I’m unaware of.

Thanks all!

rashley

imported post

If it had an external safety I'd be going with the P99 for sure. I've held a P22 and it's like butter in your hand.

And of course they come from 3 of the priciest manufacturers! LOL

I'll look into those, though. Thanks.

Flintlock

imported post

rashley wrote:
If it had an external safety I'd be going with the P99 for sure. I've held a P22 and it's like butter in your hand.

And of course they come from 3 of the priciest manufacturers! LOL

I'll look into those, though. Thanks.
Yeah, I thought of that - I threw it in there because it has the decocker and is a traditional double action pistol. It is safe.

Springfield XD's are also an option - they have two external safeties(a grip safety and a trigger safety), but they don't have the exposed hammer or an external lever safety.

Perhaps try one of the many1911's in 9mm. They will have all the options you are requesting but are also on the pricey side.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rashley wrote:
My requirements are:
1. Auto
2. Not[/b] single-action only.
3. 9mm
4. Manual Safety
5. Full grip (grip extensions attached to the clip don’t qualify, I want a full grip on the gun itself).
6. Stainless, titanium, or polymer finish.
7. “Drop” safety.
8. External hammer (preferred).
9. Won’t break the bank (preferred).

HK USP

Beretta 92

Para Ordinance LDA

Those are some I can think of off the top of my head.

Marco

imported post

S&W 945, 952, 910, 915, 5906, 6906, 908

Taurus PT 92

EAA/Witness

just to name a few

curtiswr

imported post

Beretta 92 Inox

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/beretta/92FSinox.asp

92FS_Inox.jpg

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Youmight look into some of the older models that fall under C&R.

CZ82-83 9mm (Makarov 9x18) Former Czech Mil/police issue

Anything that uses the Makarov ammo, right now it (Russian ammo)is the most available of all the handgun ammo.

M

McX

imported post

You may want to consider a HiPoint .40 cal. Full Frame.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The stainless version of the 92FS fits your description very well, although the frame itself is aluminum and not titanium, stainless, or polymer.
(Sounds like you are looking for corrosion resistance though, where aluminum is a good choice.)

gbentzen8

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
rashley wrote:

What's a clip?

CZ-85

Clip? Used to be for roaches ...or something. I have that pet peeve also...a magazine ain't something you read on a gun.

I recently bought a CZ 75. Likely too big for what the poster wants, but what a great gun. Was at the Chantilly, Va Gun Show Friday and asked my favorite dealer if the CZ 75 I had bought from him previously would handle 9mm +P+. His answer was that he'd heard of Glocks and Sigs and Kel Tecs having trouble with +P+, but never heard of that with a CZ. Went on to say they are rugged all steel guns that are built to last.

Ok, Glock and Sig guys I'm not taking a shot at those great guns, just saying what David told me. As for Kel Tec, anyone putting +P+ thru one is nuts. At most it'll take limited +P use and I won't even put one shot of that thru my P 11.

smash29

imported post

I would think that if someone was concerned enough about the performance of their 9MM to want +P+ ammo they would probably be better served by moving to a 357SIG and not having to worry about the beating their gun will take. How much of a difference does that extra "+" make? No shot being taken, just curious...

curtiswr

imported post

longshot wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
rashley wrote:

What's a clip?

CZ-85

Clip? Used to be for roaches ...or something. I have that pet peeve also...a magazine ain't something you read on a gun.

I recently bought a CZ 75. Likely too big for what the poster wants, but what a great gun. Was at the Chantilly, Va Gun Show Friday and asked my favorite dealer if the CZ 75 I had bought from him previously would handle 9mm +P+. His answer was that he'd heard of Glocks and Sigs and Kel Tecs having trouble with +P+, but never heard of that with a CZ. Went on to say they are rugged all steel guns that are built to last.

Ok, Glock and Sig guys I'm not taking a shot at those great guns, just saying what David told me. As for Kel Tec, anyone putting +P+ thru one is nuts. At most it'll take limited +P use and I won't even put one shot of that thru my P 11.
A lot of gun dealers have heard a lot of things.

But here's this with regards to Glock and +P+ :

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=57653

Glock Armorer's manual states that the G19 and G17 are rated for ammo up to 43,500psi.

That's FAR in excess of any pressure numbers I've seen for commercial +P+ intended for pistol ammo.

On another forum, there's a Norwegian (the Norwegian military uses the Glock 17) who claims that the L7A1 (That's the Hirtenberger subgun ammo in the BATF warning) is commonly used in the G17 pistols.

He stated that it seems to reduce the pistol service life to around 50,000 rounds but that there have been no catastrophic failures.

For the record I'm not advocating the use of the L7A1 ammo in any pistol--just passing on an anecdote.

And:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901559

Your owners manual will say any SAAMI or NATO Spec ammo.

+P+ is a designation for SAAMI member companies to use when they load over SAAMI specification. It is not a SAAMI or NATO specification.

But, the Glock Armorers Manual says that +P+ 9MM is fine in Glocks.