• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barrett's "common sense" gun solutions

Constitutionalist

imported post

Watching Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's news conference concerning cop getting shot and Badger Guns issues he said they want to enforce some "common sense" solutions to these problems.

Wants to make "straw purchases" a felony.

Wants to make 2nd offense CCW a felony.

And the best, wants to make it law that a felon cannot be within 1000 feet of a gun show, or a store that sells guns.
Here are the issues I see with this one:

A felon would have to know the location of every store that sells guns in the state in order to stay the 1,000 feet away.

Felons could not shop at Walmart if they sell guns.

Felons would not be able to even drive by a Walmart if it sold guns.

Live in a small town with a gun shop in the downtown section? Can't drive through town, or shop at any stores within 1000 feet of it.

Gotta drive by a Walmart or through town to get to the freeway? Better find another route.

If there is a gunshow at a county fairground you can't drive by on the interstate if its within a half mile!

Did they use "common sense" when they came up with this ingenious idea?

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't have a problem with a "straw" purchaser being a felon. The CCW charge will become a mute point in the future.

What I am having a problem with, is the Mayor and Furer Flynn blaming Badger Guns for the city's crime problem. Now they are talking about staking out Badger even more. I think that there may be cause for some "set-ups" coming in the future to keep the police honest. I don't have a problem with enforcing the laws of the land, so long as they are done within the bounds of the constitution.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Already saw it on another post, but thought I'd add it again here.

I think it is time to talk to owners, we should hold an OC event there.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Aren't straw purchases already a felony? (Lying on a federal form)

Wouldn't a 2nd time CCW charge causing a felony have hurt people like Vegas, who do it out of necessity and it ends up saving their lives?

What a bunch of hooey.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

BNH, you bring up some very valid points, May I add; what if a felon has a neighbor that owns firearms, are they supposed to move, if a relative is a felon and they come over to visit is the homeowner supposed to store his firearms at a different location or not allow the felon into their home?

Flynn is just voicing another knee-jerk reaction, How about enforcing the laws already on the books first? Because adding more useless unenforceable laws will not prevent anything from happening.

How is a gun-shop or range owner supposed to identify possible felons? I have yet to meet any convicted felons with a big tattoo on their forehead advertising they are a felon. What about people with a protection order against them? how about people accused of domestic abuse?

What next, will fuhrer-Flynn expect people to makea call in to the NICS hotline whenever someone wants to use the range? He is really talking out of his ass more and more every day, isn't he?

Wasn't glockworld in Green Bay getting some heat because the VA tech psycho killer allegedlybought a few firearm related supplies from them a couple months before he went on his shooting spree?

If someone wants to stir the pot a little bit, maybe someone could check to see if any school zones are near Badger, and casually walk while O-C'ing near the store. Nothing to be associated with the store, just a few guys out exercising their legs and their 2A rights.

If I lived closer, I would dress in my grubiest, most beat up clothes, wearing a hoodie, baseball cap, and dark sunglassesand go shoot at the range as much as I could.
I would also have a video camera running in my truck for when I leave the store to capture the BS traffic stop I would expect from the MPD when leaving.
I know that I would look like a "person of Interest" right now because I am growing my hair out for another ponytail to be donated to "Locks of love" for wigs to be madefor kids being treated for cancer.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Constitutionalist wrote:
Watching Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's news conference concerning cop getting shot and Badger Guns issues he said they want to enforce some "common sense" solutions to these problems.

Wants to make "straw purchases" a felony.

Wants to make 2nd offense CCW a felony.

And the best, wants to make it law that a felon cannot be within 1000 feet of a gun show, or a store that sells guns.
Here are the issues I see with this one:
He may want, but he will not get. The word needs to be spread about this libtard who apparently is a Doyle wannabe.

AaronS

imported post

As a person from the City of Milwaukee, I would just like to take a moment to say how sorry I am for the dumb a$$ actions of Tom Barrett. I can only ask that from this time forward, we pass a law that all pipes made, are of the head splitting kind. One moreswing, and we might have been done with him... Next time Tom!

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's what I posted in another thread:

Mandatory minimum sentences ala Federal Statues would be a good start: 18 USC Sect. 924.

18 USC 924(c)(1) Whoever, during and in relation to any crime of violence or drug trafficking crime (including a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime which provides for an enhanced punishment if committed by the use of a deadly or dangerous weapon or device) for which he may be prosecuted in a court of the United States, uses or carries a firearm, shall, in addition to the punishment provided for such crime of violence or drug trafficking crime, be sentenced to imprisonment for five years, and if the firearm is a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or semiautomatic assault weapon, to imprisonment for ten years, and if the firearm is a machinegun, or a destructive device, or is equipped with a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, to imprisonment for thirty years. In the case of his second or subsequent conviction under this subsection, such person shall be sentenced to imprisonment for twenty years, and if the firearm is a machinegun, or a destructive device, or is equipped with a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, to life imprisonment without release. (FOOTNOTE 1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the court shall not place on probation or suspend the sentence of any person convicted of a violation of this subsection, nor shall the term of imprisonment imposed under this subsection run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment including that imposed for the crime of violence or drug trafficking crime in which the firearm was used or carried.

Emphasis mine.