• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leaving a gun in the car

Magix

imported post

I have my CPL. Is it legal to leave my loaded gun in the car? (Locked and out of sight of course) Or does Washington require you to unload it? Thanks

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Its legal to leave your loaded handgun in the car as long as its out of sight. However do not leavea loaded handgunin the car with someone that does not have a CPL.

Orphan

5918mike

imported post

I was told by WSP that the gun has to be in my immediate possession when I am in the vehicle. So I can put it in the glove box when I leave the vehicle but upon returning it has to be taken out and possessed while I'm driving.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii)OR the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) OR the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

I only copyed the revelant portion. Basicaly the WSP officer is not up to speed and wrong. Quit asking LEOs for advice, you will mostly get incorrect answers. The three conditions are 1. On your person. 2. Anywhere in the vehicle while you are in the vehicle.3.hidden from view and the vehicle locked with you away from the vehicle.

On long drives I often put my weapon on the passenger seat or in the center console especialy when OCing. My XD 5 in tactical gets in the way of the seat belt.

One note of caution do not leave a weapon locked in your car with anyone that does not have a CPL. A good example of this would be you go to the post office, leave weapon in the car with your wife/friend/adult kid, doors locked, wife/friend/adult kid does not have CPLthey now have a concealed weapon and no CPL.

Orphan

5918mike

imported post

I didn't ask him for any advice he offered it up all by himself!

Can anyone shed some light on why (i) is even there if (ii) is included as an option. If the license holders presence is enough why even include the possession element in (i) as an option?

I think this is what adds to the confusion by reading the RCW.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

and what orphan states is half right. if you don't have a cpl you can't have a loaded pistol period in the car. unless its the cop writing you the ticket :)

Jeff Hayes

imported post

RCWs are confusing to say the least. I have learned a lot here and quite often I am educated by either reading the posts or someone correcting my post. Keep reading. it becomes clearer the more posts you read and participate in.

LEOs are good at offeringincorrect advice, I should not have assumed that you asked, sorry about that.

Orphan

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

only a non cpl carrier has to make sure they don't leave it loaded