• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three new pro-gun laws (Sept 30, 2009)

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5155

I wish they would let us Michiganders de-escelate a situation that way. It could potentially stop a lot of would-be disasters.

Alternate parking for people to legally leave their guns in the car at work? Nothing about that sounds like a good idea... "Here's a parking lot with cars that all have guns in them, breaking and entering time?" Criminal supermarket =/ Hope that doesn't become normal practice.

All in all, congrats on your pro-gun movements!

azlobo

imported post

Yeah plus since the cost to the company would be high to provide, the truly obstinate employer will try there darnedest to just get the pesky squeaky wheels fired. Right-to-work state means they need no excuse (but they slip once and give out the wrong reason and they can still get sued for wrongful termination over this). In theory at least though its a step forward. We'll see.

TOF

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5155

I wish they would let us Michiganders de-escelate a situation that way. It could potentially stop a lot of would-be disasters.

Alternate parking for people to legally leave their guns in the car at work? Nothing about that sounds like a good idea... "Here's a parking lot with cars that all have guns in them, breaking and entering time?" Criminal supermarket =/ Hope that doesn't become normal practice.

All in all, congrats on your pro-gun movements!

I believe you have the parking lot requirements backwards.

Cars in the special secured area would not be allowed to contain firearms.

protector84

imported post

I think the alternative parking lot idea makes virtually no sense. If an employer has say a large parking lot up front and another one right behind it and states that "according to the new Arizona law if you bring a gun to work, you have to park in the back parking lot" I can see what would happen. You would have several dozen cars parked right up in front of the building and maybe three or four cars parked noticably far away from the other cars. That tells a criminal right then and there which cars to break into. Additionally, that "alternative parking lot" will be farther away from any security cameras, farther away from any patrolling guards, and farther away from people who may notice something suspicious. Personally, if I'm leaving my gun in the car, I want my car to be directly in front of the building by a window I can see it from at all times.

On a side note, I don't respect laws or policies that take away my human rights. I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nobody will tell me how I can and cannot live my private life when I am not harming anyone. Nobody tells me I cannot protect myself from harm. Mybody is also my private property and I will prioritize that over any stupid sign or "policy" that says otherwise.