• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response to anyone looking to ban .50BMG

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

jooos wrote:
I am writing a response to this paper, and am looking for any information on the topic of why this weapon should not be regulated.

Here is a response to any paper suggesting that .50BMG be banned....

The paper you quoted in your post does not contain "facts". It contains second hand opinions. It contains only anecdotal statements and quotes. It is not a technical paper and relies on the emotions of the timid in order to garner support for a ban.

Here is a fact for you. Ronnie Barrett originally developed the civilian .50BMG rifle in the early 80sfor civilian sporting purposes.....:dude:

There are laws against machine guns being possessed and terrorists get them. There are laws against terrorists getting explosives and terrorists get them. A .50BMG can only hit a target a mile away in the hands of the most highly skilled individuals. The average terrorist can NOT hit a target accurately at those ranges. It simply is not possible. Let's really get serious now.... There is no such thing as a "sniper rifle". This is another propaganda label coined by the anti-gun media and the gun grabbing groups who are only interested in lining their pockets. There are only target rifles. ANY rifle effectively becomes a sniper rifle only when in the hands of a properly trained and proficient sniper. This is an individual who shoots often to maintain their rare and unique skill level. This is not the garden variety foreign or domestic terrorist who can barely manage to slap together primitive explosives.

To equate the power of a 700 grain piece of lead to a missle which contains high explosives, is guided to its target by sophisticated electronics and is self propelled is nothing less than comical. It is entirely laughable. A plane is just as vulnerable on takeoff to a .338 Lapua, .416 Barrettor other target rounds. There is nothing magical about the .50BMG. Ithas benefitted from irresponsible media propaganda. Although a .50BMG rifle may be easy to get, armor piercing ammo is not so easy. It would make more sense to outlaw armor piercing ammo. Standard commercial .50BMG ammo used for hunting and target practice is not armor piercing.

You simply have no data to support any urgency for banning them. You have no data to support their actual use in a significant number of crimes. The mere possession of them does not equate to these organizations or individuals having the skill and capabilities of using a .50BMG rifle effectively. Just because a group was arrested and a .50BMG was in their possession means NOTHING. Show some overwhelming data which shows that they are used (discharged) in crimes.

Give me a 10 lb .338 Lapua and give one of them a 50lb .50BMG. Put us 1000M apart in an open field. Give useach5rounds. I have no concerns.... :cool:

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

The Alaskan Pipeline has two layers of armor and several inches of insulation, yet was penetrated by a hunter's rifle firing a .338-caliber round. And anybody can buy the video "The One Mile Shot" by G. David Tubb showing him hitting targets at a distance of one mile, not with a .50, but with a 6.5x284 (.260-caliber). Of course anybody who thinks all you need to hit a man-sized target at one mile is the right rifle should try it sometime.
o "terrorist weapon": The The Violence Policy Center's claim of being motivated by the .50's use in the hands of a terrorist is a flat-out lie. Tom Diaz outlined his plans to push for the outlawing of this class of firearms as early as January 20th, 1999 in a broadcast of "Fresh Air" on NPR radio. No mention of terrorism was made in connection with the .50 until after 9/11.
o On the "weapon of war": Modern .50BMG precision rifles were developed (using a century-old cartridge) by civilians for civilians exclusively for sporting purposes. See Barrett's history of the M82A1. Included in Senator Feinstein's list of protected sporting firearms (signed into law by President Clinton) are the Barrett model 90 and the McMillan Combo M-87/M-88 -- all .50BMG rifles. When the good Senator introduced a federal bill in 1999 to ban all .50-caliber rifles as weapons of war I wrote to her - twice - to ask her about this apparent contradition. I never received a reply.