Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: SWINE FLU

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    Just curious how many are planning on getting the H1N1 vaccine?
    Would be interested in your thoughts behind your answers.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580

    Post imported post

    I am likely to get it if offered. I have no reason to believe it is harmful to anything; except to the H1N1 flu virus.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    303

    Post imported post

    I already have H1N1.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    I have been hearing information that the H1N1 strain is not going to be as devastating for people over 60-65 years old becuase it is a variant of a strain thatthe older people already have an immunity to.

    It is the people under 40 years of age that will be hit hardest with this. (allegedly)

    Due to my geographical location, we do not get hit with these nasty viruses ashard because our population density is so low. If I had to fly or travel anywhere over the next 4 months, I would consider getting the vaccination. But I plan on going nowhere this winter.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    About 30,000 people a year die from the yearly Flu Virus. Every year!!

    Why is there a freak-out session over the few dozen that have died over this one? Because it has the word SWINE attached?
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  6. #6
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Flintlock,
    I know what you mean. The crazies are at it with "OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" I've never had a flu shot, and will never have a flu shot unless absolutely required. While I've had the flu, it wasn't often. One small fact people also forget the "flu" is used all too often as the reason for other illnesses like food poisoning, which is very similar. They get better in a couple days and give the score to the "flu", I think it's hilarious how people can just point a finger and blame a virus for their own mistake(eating contaminated food).

    The news in regards to H1N1 reminds me about the Hadron collider, "omg omg omg omg, death death death."

    Factually, overweight people are more likely to have complications from the seasonal flu. Overweight people have a hard time properly coughing, which is required to expel built up fluid from the lungs.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    H1N1 is just a flu variant with normally low mortality and arguably higher morbidity.

    http://www.promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?...58996842749896
    BC may suspend seasonal flu shots
    ---------------------------------
    British Columbia (BC) might suspend seasonal flu shots as early as Monday [28 Sep 2009] for people who aren't seniors, in the wake of a Canadian study that suggests people who get the normal flu vaccine are twice as likely to contract H1N1 [pandemic 2009] virus infection. Several news outlets have reported the preliminary findings of the study, which is still under peer review. Researchers found that those who received the seasonal flu vaccine in the past were more likely to catch H1N1 [pandemic 2009 virus] infection.
    There is evidence that 50+ y.o. have some immunity due to previous exposures to seasonal flu closely elated to this H1N1 variant.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    I have yet to see a valid argument for NOT getting the vaccine. It is just another Flu vaccine like the other ones I get every year. No notable risks andmuch potential benefit to yourself and those around you. Even if you do not feel the ill effects ofan influenza virus, you can be a carrier to infect others. The facts are that there will be additional deaths this year due to this strain. Thre will be additional illness due to this strain. It will not be apocalyptic, but some willfall ill and some will die. Why not do your fair share to reduce both?

    In other words, don't be a baby, just do it.....

  9. #9
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1303330/

    Researchers in the U.S., Britain and Australia have not reported the same phenomenon. Marie-Paule Kieny, the World Health Organization's director of vaccine research, said last week the Canadian findings were an international anomaly and could constitute a “study bias.”

    An international panel is currently scrutinizing the research data. “The review process has been expedited, so we're hoping for a response within days,” said Roy Wadia, spokesman for the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    214

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    I have yet to see a valid argument for NOT getting the vaccine. It is just another Flu vaccine like the other ones I get every year. No notable risks andmuch potential benefit to yourself and those around you. Even if you do not feel the ill effects ofan influenza virus, you can be a carrier to infect others. The facts are that there will be additional deaths this year due to this strain. Thre will be additional illness due to this strain. It will not be apocalyptic, but some willfall ill and some will die. Why not do your fair share to reduce both?

    In other words, don't be a baby, just do it.....
    If the h1n1 vaccine is just like others why aren't they administered in the same dose as the regular flu? I heard some where that more people died from that vaccine in the 70's than people who actually died from the swine flu.

    No thanks for myself or my kids.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    I just picked up a prescription for Tamiflu for me in case I need it. My wife either has the flu or something similar because she can't talk, etc. She went to the Dr. yesterday and they did the flu test bu haven't gotten the results yet. Her Dr. said for me to go get a rx for Tamiflu in case her test came back positive. Whatever it is my wife has I hope I don't get it and she gets over it. I don't know how much longer we can put up with each other in the shape she is in.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    I had one or two Orthomyxoviridae flues as an adolescent and not since. I will not be vaccinated.

    A pandemic like the 1017/18 Spanish H1N1 Flu or 1957 Asian H2N2 Flu would do a fine job of flushing the gene pool of the benighted too stupid to avoid it or too stupid to survive it..

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    I opt out of getting the vaccine simply because every time I've gotten a flu vaccine, I've gotten sicker than a dog for about 5 days with the very symptoms of the flu.

    Every time I've skipped it, I've not caught it. Considering I've only had the flu once since I moved out at age 18 (despite being around people that were contagious), I'll trust my immune system. Nature gave it to me to protect against such things. I figure I'll put some faith in Nature. She's been doing this a lot longer than we have.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580

    Post imported post

    trailblazer2003 wrote:
    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    I have yet to see a valid argument for NOT getting the vaccine. It is just another Flu vaccine like the other ones I get every year. No notable risks andmuch potential benefit to yourself and those around you. Even if you do not feel the ill effects ofan influenza virus, you can be a carrier to infect others. The facts are that there will be additional deaths this year due to this strain. Thre will be additional illness due to this strain. It will not be apocalyptic, but some willfall ill and some will die. Why not do your fair share to reduce both?

    In other words, don't be a baby, just do it.....
    If the h1n1 vaccine is just like others why aren't they administered in the same dose as the regular flu? I heard some where that more people died from that vaccine in the 70's than people who actually died from the swine flu.

    No thanks for myself or my kids.
    FUD.

    The flu back then didn't really materialize. So, just about ANY deaths from vaccine would be greater in number than those who died from a non-existent flu.

    There is no rational case against vaccination. Choose to vaccinate or not based upon reasons other than any claims of "death by vaccination."

    I do not know why the vaccine is kept separate, other than the current seasonal vaccine is already distributed, and the h1n1 vaccine is "fast-tracked" and distributed differently.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    The H1N1 is kept seperate so the Gubberment can track their test results more accurately..it'll help them with numbers of how many sheep are left..after this all dies down and relaxes the Airports and Brady bunch will better be able to scan individuals and see who is who..

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    I have yet to see a valid argument for NOT getting the vaccine.
    Mine is that there are limited supplies, and as a young healthy guy I'm unlikely to need it. Assuming I do get the the flu, I'll likely get better without the vaccine. So why bother using my time and effort, and limited supplies that others may need more to get something that is unlikely to be a significant benefit to me?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    214

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    I have yet to see a valid argument for NOT getting the vaccine.
    Mine is that there are limited supplies, and as a young healthy guy I'm unlikely to need it. Assuming I do get the the flu, I'll likely get better without the vaccine. So why bother using my time and effort, and limited supplies that others may need more to get something that is unlikely to be a significant benefit to me?
    How about the consent forums that must be signed promising not to sue if you die or get maimed.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I will not be getting it thats for sure.

    http://theyeshivaworld.com/news/Gene...+NY+State.html



  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    155

    Post imported post

    The military makes flu shots mandatory every year and, like death and taxes, every year people get sick with the flu after getting the shot. This year is no exception. Unfortunately I won't have a choice in passing on this one if they decide it's "good for me".

  20. #20
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    trailblazer2003 wrote:
    How about the consent forums that must be signed promising not to sue if you die or get maimed.
    It is a sad reflection on our society that medical professionals who are acting with no malice have a need to protect themselves from legal action which originates from the very people who's health they are improving. :X



  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    I'm pretty sure I can't get sick with meaningless virus's and I haven't gotten the flu in a decade.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    Milbars wrote:
    The military makes flu shots mandatory every year and, like death and taxes, every year people get sick with the flu after getting the shot. This year is no exception. Unfortunately I won't have a choice in passing on this one if they decide it's "good for me".
    Those same people who you claim get sick with the flu do not have the presence of the influenza laboratory verified. Influenza vaccines do not protect against every respiratory infection out there which can cause fever, chills, body aches, malaise, etc....

    This goes for those who claim to get sick for days each time they get a flu vaccine. There is absolutely zero clinical evidence to support flu infection after getting a flu injection. The reaction some people get is due to their immune system response to the inactive vaccine. It is not an effect of an actual virus and does not have the more serious symptims and complications as if you were to actually be infected by the influenza virus. A few little aches and pains is nothing compared to the flu. Every time some peopleget a case of the sniffles, and do not feel 100%, they blame it on "the flu".

  23. #23
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Knight,
    You are aware of people who suffer from vaccinosis, right? I don't vaccinate myself unless absolutely required, just as I don't vaccinate my dogs(except for rabies).

    Link to PubMed search
    http://tinyurl.com/ycl6xyn
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  24. #24
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I can't get sick with meaningless virus's and I haven't gotten the flu in a decade.
    You can be sick and not symptomatic. In such a case, you'd be a carrier.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    Milbars wrote:
    The military makes flu shots mandatory every year and, like death and taxes, every year people get sick with the flu after getting the shot. This year is no exception. Unfortunately I won't have a choice in passing on this one if they decide it's "good for me".
    Those same people who you claim get sick with the flu do not have the presence of the influenza laboratory verified. Influenza vaccines do not protect against every respiratory infection out there which can cause fever, chills, body aches, malaise, etc....

    This goes for those who claim to get sick for days each time they get a flu vaccine. There is absolutely zero clinical evidence to support flu infection after getting a flu injection. The reaction some people get is due to their immune system response to the inactive vaccine. It is not an effect of an actual virus and does not have the more serious symptims and complications as if you were to actually be infected by the influenza virus. A few little aches and pains is nothing compared to the flu. Every time some peopleget a case of the sniffles, and do not feel 100%, they blame it on "the flu".
    EXACTLY.

    I have to laugh every time someone says they got the flu from a vaccine. :quirky

    Of course, my "ex" still repeats the ole "son, wear a coat, you will catch a cold!" idiocy her mom used to tell her. Explaining it to her is futile.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •