Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Burns: Allowing guns in national parks is "foolish"

Post imported post

A not unexpected view from a Hollywood type. But lots of good comments from more sensible folks (if I do say so myself...)

http://features.csmonitor.com/politi...ks-is-foolish/

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    A not unexpected view from a Hollywood type. But lots of good comments from more sensible folks (if I do say so myself...)

http://features.csmonitor.com/politi...ks-is-foolish/

TFred
    That's veryinteresting. There are a few National Parks here in Alaska (Kenai Fjords for example)that already allowed the carriage of arms, both openly and concealed, prior to any bill passage. This was specificallyallowedfor the defense of life and property from Bear attack.

It's a wonder that we don't have the catastrophic problems that he is describing. :quirky
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Yep, there are some good sensible folks replying there.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Burns commenting on guns is a bit like Polanski commenting on day care or Helmke on intelligence testing.

Post imported post

8. Mike D. | 09.29.09

**As a gun owner with a concealed carry permit I cherish our 2nd amendment rights. That said I agree with Ken Burns and National Parks are not the place to have folks walking around armed. It is not needed, these are shrines to our heritage. I don’t know many who carry in church so why do you need to carry in a national park? Bear spray works wonders on 4 legged and 2 legged threats.**

It would seem that Mike here thinks bad guys will stay away from national parks because they are "shrines to our heritage". I do like his bear spray idea, just sure how well that will work against an armed bad guy..

Post imported post

Any time you want to investigate someone's political motivations, you need to approach it like a crime investigation. The best place to start is to FOLLOW THE MONEY. Most of these "liberal" types are no different than high-profile conservatives--they are narcissistic sociopaths who don't REALLY believe in anything--except themselves. And as such, they are primarily motivated by money, wealth and fame. Follow the money, and you'll find who's REALLY putting the words in his mouth. Because when folks like this stop spouting their agenda, the money will dry up...

Ken Burn's manor funder for the last 22 years was General Motors. This is a guy who SAYS he is anti-war, a rabid environmentalist, and pro-human and civil rights. And GM is writing his biggest checks. Either his entire political personality is a LIE and he is an unabashed ***** of the highest order, or he is a complete idiot and oblivious to the anti-American agendas of his benefactors...

One of his recent films "The War" was funded thusly (taken from the official PBS website):

"Corporate funding is provided by General Motors, Anheuser-Busch, and Bank of America. Major funding is provided by Lilly Endowment, Inc.; Public Broadcasting Service; National Endowment for the Humanities; Corporation for Public Broadcasting; The Arthur Vining Davis Foundations; The Pew Charitable Trusts; The Longaberger Foundation; and Park Foundation, Inc."

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

This reads like a "Who's Who" of the New World Order and the Bankster/Military-Industrial Complex. It would be nearly impossible to compile a "short list" of more crooked, corrupt, and Anti-American interests...

The only way this guy could be MORE suspect would be if he was taking personal checks from the Rockefellers, the Rothschilds, the Bush family, and the Directors of Goldman Sachs...

Ken Burns is a narcissistic sociopath. Textbook example. And this latest pronouncement is just his calculating way of telling his "Johns" that he will continue to toss their figurative salad as long as the Benjamins keel rolling in.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

YAY..I am number 9:celebrate

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

The hoodlums used to have at least some respect for the National Mall in DC. Car breakins and maybe a pickpocket here and there but there was an "unspoken agreement" that the National Mall was off limits for crimes against persons.

This was broken a few years ago by a gang of goblins who noticed that hordes of tourists were walking around at night on the dimly lit Mall like they were safe or something. Lots and lots of completely unarmed folks with wallets full of money, carryng expensive cameras, wearing exxpensive jewelry----and often with comely young daughters in tow. People who came from hundreds of miles away, meaning that testimony in a criminal trial would be a big hassle, maybe even impossible.

Such low-hanging fruit was impossible to ignore. The goblins went on a rampage. On one occasion, they yanked a young teenage girl away from her parents and took turns assaulting her while the others held the family at gunpoint warning her and them to be quiet or they were all dead. I wonder if Ken Burns knows what it must have felt for that father to listen to the whimpering of his daughter as they did who knows what (and I don't wanna know) to her??

Eventually the animals were captured. Idiot Delegate Eleanor Holmes-Norton expressed her outrage NOT at the robberies and sexual assault; but at the breaking of the "unspoken truce" because it put tourist tax revenues in jeopardy.

I don't know what became of these punks, but I would not be surprised if they wound up getting their cases "no-papered" (which is what D.C.'s effed-up criminal justice system calls what in almost every other jurisdiction calls a "Nolle Proseque"; the difference being that elsewhere a "Nolle Pross" as it is known is a motion that must be granted by a judge; but in the District is simply the unilateral decision of the "Corporation Counsel" to decline to prosecute) because the victim families did not want to travel halfway across the country to relive the horror. I have not looked into the ultimate disposition because if I found out these despicable sub-humans did a freedom dance down the courthouse steps my head might just explode.

So how much more vulnerable are others who walk in the isolation of Yellowstone, Yosemite, Shenendoah, Death Valley. Grand Canyon? For that matter there is a bike path that runs between Mount Vernon south of Alexandria clear up to Cumberland Maryland, most if not all of it NPS territory? And even in the near vicinity of the City of Alexandria parts of it are splendidly isolated and at certain hours relatively deserted; and there are thick woods nearby into which to drag a cowed, unarmed victim. And there have been robberies, murders and rapes carried out by vermin who RELY on the unarmed status of their victims to make their depridations successful.

Ken Burns and his ilk have innocent blood on their hands.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    Yeah, that was my .02 cents worth. The Brady Bunch's "win" turned into a bigger "loss" in the end.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

So, I guess Teddy Roosevelt never carried a gun in a Nat'l Park after he helped create them.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    Not any more, you're not. And my comment (which had been up for a couple of days) has been deleted, too.

I said nothing vitriolic in the least. I only pointed out the facts of Burns living in NH (a very pro-gun, low-crime state).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

#9 was my comment. Some of these venues sure don't like anyone mentioning or promoting OC. I have been banned from posting on the Tennesseans web site as well, apparently for bringing up OC. I guess they just don't want the public to know about it.

That's why it's up to us to educate the public.

Post imported post

It appears that seveal (at least three from comments here alone) pro-2A comments have been deleted. What a bunch of liars. Leave one or two "sort of pro-2A" comments ('I'm pro 2A, but you're right...') up to give the appearance of equal access, then delete any real pro-2A comments so the public is misled into thinking their view is correct and widely accepted. What a farce.

It would be funny if hundreds of people posted this comment to their article just to make them have to go through and delete each one of them! :X

TFred

Banned

Post imported post

Heh, they let mine in. It wasn't auto-accepted, but I just checked again.

Absolutely, allowing only criminals to have guns in national parks is ‘foolish’. The national parks would certainly be safer if victims were not disarmed on behalf of the criminals operating within. Where the 2A is not infringed into oblivion, crime is significantly lower. FBI Uniform Crime Reports.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:

Absolutely, allowing only criminals to have guns in national parks is ‘foolish’. The national parks would certainly be safer if victims were not disarmed on behalf of the criminals operating within. Where the 2A is not infringed into oblivion, crime is significantly lower. FBI Uniform Crime Reports.
    That's what happened to mine. It didn't show up immediately, maybe 10 minutes later, then 30 minutes later, it was gone.

I suspect yours will do the same.

TFred

Banned

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:

That's what happened to mine. It didn't show up immediately, maybe 10 minutes later, then 30 minutes later, it was gone.

I suspect yours will do the same.

TFred
    Well, I think it's been hours, so we'll see how the ratio works out.

Post imported post

I live at the very edge of a National Park.We who live here have to traverse thru it or border it to get anywhere. 'Long story short... there are many people 'like us' who traverse the parks elsewhere (like Yellowstone)daily 'armed'. CC my ass... it's on my hip. Other folks carry in their glove box etc... but it ALWAYS been that way here. The no gun thing was enacted 'cause of poachers back during the Great Depression days. I think there's a stretch in Virgina that required people to traverse a park near DC as well. I used to hike 'n camp out on the Appalachian Trail... 'n I ALWAYScarried a pistol. Stupid not to.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    Well, I think it's been hours, so we'll see how the ratio works out.
    Well, now I'm confused... I am seeing mine again. I even cleared the cache on my browser, and checked with both IE and Firefox, and it appears to be there. Do you see it? I used TFred. I don't see anything after that one though.

TFred

Banned

Post imported post

Both of ours are gone. Just 8 now.

Post imported post

Well, now mine is back as #9. I will copy it here, just for posterity:

9. KBCraig | 10.01.09

I’m struck by two thoughts in response.

First, Mr. Burns lives in New Hampshire, which is inarguably one of the top 5 states for gun freedom (and arguably, one of the top two). The only National Park Service property in NH is the tiny Augustus St. Gaudens home in Cornish (the Appalachian Trail is a national park, but within NH it’s under the purview of the National Forest Service and a collection of private trail groups).

Second, I spent today enjoying a short vacation in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The City of Hot Springs, and the Hot Springs National Park, are hopelessly intertwined and confused, and even the two entities can’t draw a clear distinction about where one ends and the other begins. One of the only clear lines is the main tourist area along Central Avenue: the west side of the street is in the City, and privately owned; the east side of the street is National Park.

Hot Springs is the 13th most dangerous Metropolitan Statistical Area in the US, despite a population of under 40k. I wonder if those criminals disarm when they cross the street into the National Park?

Post imported post

At the bottom of the page, the following appears:

We do not publish all comments, and we do not publish comments immediately. The comments feature is a forum to discuss the ideas in our stories. Constructive debate - even pointed disagreement - is welcome, but personal attacks on other commenters are not, and will not be published. Tip: Do not write a novel. Keep it short. We will not publish lengthy comments. Come up with your own statements. This is not a place to cut and paste an email you received. If we recognize it as such, we won't post it. Please do not post any comments that are commercial in nature or that violate copyrights. Finally, we will not publish any comments that we regard as obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence.
    I do not know if this was always there, but it is now. I have seen other sites just like this and do not post as I need no censorship of my views from others.

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

I'm no. 9 for now, let's see how long it lasts.:P

Post imported post

Back down to 8. Wow less than 30 minutes.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    This reads like a "Who's Who" of the New World Order and the Bankster/Military-Industrial Complex. It would be nearly impossible to compile a "short list" of more crooked, corrupt, and Anti-American interests..
    Wow. That's some post. I don't disagree with your characterization of Burn's politics but you certainly paint with a broad brush and splash the whole landscape with paint. I watched all 12 hours of 'Parks' and enjoyed it despite the glorification of Muir and the other founders of the modern day environmental movement. I do strenously disagree with you including the Lilly Endowment in a list of organizations described as above. I live in Lilly's hometown and see their efforts firsthand. I'm sure we can all find specific organizations supported by philanthropic groups like Lilly that we aren't happy about but the liberties we cherish apply to everyone, right? The Lilly endowment has almost single handed made Indianapolis into a great city. I would hope you are not in favor of the government taking over from private charity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast