• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fishing a Right? Legislation for open carry?

greengum

imported post

I skimmed through the F&G codes for about an hour. All i know is that they have one thing pretty well covered. That is how much to charge to "allow" you to do things that are protected in our State Constitution and how if you do not submit, how much they can charge for that as well. Good thing that our state did set up a "blueberry commission" recently. That will give me something else to read and not understand or if I do understand no one will understand me talking about it!!!

Lets recap a typical day. I wake up in the morning, flip the TV on which is censored by the government. I take a shower and head out for my morning addictions. A pack of smokes that has gone up 3-3.5 bucks a pack over the past few years in a new tax and a monster drink which I have to pay sales tax on AND a CRV tax. (In Nevada they don't have either the sales or CRV tax) I then say a little prayer and give thanks to our all knowing and powerful government for allowing me the opportunity to drive a car that I own out right all the while making sure I have all the documentation I need or else I lose my property to them. I get some gas that is taxed multiple times, but just smile knowing that people who are a lot smarter then me are putting all this money to good use. I Navigate through traffic on my way to work being careful not to break any rules or else I get to pay a speeding tax.

I get to work and buy some materials for a job and inform the store to not charge me sales tax because it is resale. As luck would have it the government let me get a special number to do that!! What a deal!! Until you realize that whenever you accept a resale number you must keep it all documented and file the forms with our government thus forcing me to be a de facto tax collector.

As I stare at the bright yellow tape that surrounds each piece of machinery I simply give thanks to OSHA because without them Helen Keller might walk into a 200 ton punch press. My business license is on the wall which I have to renew each year along with other random government permission slips. The phone is taxed, we get audited, more inspections, comply with fire extinguishers..........

Then some desk government lifer tells me that he will own me if I dare to catch a fish, which is in our Constitution, without asking and paying for permission.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I should not be laughing while reading that.
Because when its on paper...it just seems so farcical as to be hilarious!?

But...then its not.

Bull Frog

imported post

greengum wrote:
I know this isn't exactly a gun discussion, but it is related I think. If anything I would like some information or a discussion and at the very least I hope you are entertained.

I was out shopping for a new gun at Turner's outdoors for the purpose of open carry in California and Nevada. While I was shopping I came across a sign that said you could buy a fishing license there. I remembered awhile back while looking at the California State Constitution that the people have a Right to fish upon it's lands. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/const-toc.html article 25 section 1. I then asked the salesman behind the counter why I would need a license or "permission" to fish if I have the inalienable Right to do so. Needless to say i got a blank look and he asked if i wanted a license or not. Well now i got really curious and decided to call the department of fish and game. After a few minutes with a computer and a lady answering phones I was connected to a ranger station. After asking why I needed permission and to pay for something that I have a Right to do the lady responded with a "wow that is the most interesting question I have ever got." She then put me on speaker phone with the others in the office and we discussed the issue for about 15 minutes. They all agreed with me but they also said the money goes to their paycheck and to maintain the waters, but that I should not HAVE to pay unless I wanted to since it is a Right and not a privledge. They gave me a number to call in Sacramento to the head noob in charge of fish and game. Spoke briefly to the lady who answers his phone then he got on the phone after a short time on hold. I explained my question to him and his response was what I had expected. "Listen smart ass I am not a constitutional lawyer but if you are caught fishing without a license you will be fined" then he hung up on me. So much for our state officials working for us.

The way i see it, fishing just like the Right to keep and bear arms is open to various views. I am still rather new to OC.Org but are there any plans to get a voter sponsored bill on the ballot in a city, county, or state level to make more clear our Rights? The way I see it is if the people in Sacramento can pass legislation or regulate our Right to fish, could we not also do the same in reverse?

You are correct in assuming this has nothing to do with the Open Carry forum. Limits for fishing were legislated by far thinking individuals when it became obvious that early settlers in the new world were depleting existing fisheries with alarming alacrity.

Five foot cod are commonly documented in many historical texts. Here is but one example: The Unnatural History of the Sea.

But our rape of the environment has nothing to do with firearms. So, as fascinating as our complete victory of destroying millions of marine creatures, it should not be addressed here.

This is an open carry forum. For firearms. It is just really lucky we can't shoot fish. Or, can we?

So, do we really have a right to fish upon California lands? By law? Or should we back off and .... let the fish farms control our taste for fresh fish? Or better yet, let the ocean grow fish again?