• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger LCP

TehGruu

imported post

Hey guys. Well, it's about that time again. My dad talked me into selling him my Taurus 85 ultra-lite so I'm gonna have a little dough in the next month or so. About 2 months from now a buddy and I are going to be getting our CHL class out of the way. I have a Colt Commander that will be my main carry weapon. However, I live in Texas and don't see myself wearing it IWB during the hotter than hell summer months.

That in mind, I'm thinking of getting a pocket auto and the LCP is looking like it might fit the bill. So I am turning to you guys. How does it handle? How about reliability? Accuracy at realistic defensive ranges? Fun factor, the whole shebang. I appreciate the input.

-Gruu

midnight61

imported post

I love mine. The sights are low and difficult to use so I have the Crimson Trace laser (self-defense product of the year award) on it and I keep it in a packet holster during the hot weather. It does have a little kick and might make the web of your hand a little sore while breaking it in with 200 rounds. 380 rounds are a bit difficult to find in my neck of the woods due to the recent additions to the market but there is a great selection of defensive rounds available now in .380

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/NewsEvents/2009AcademyOfExcellence/tabid/462/Default.aspx

TehGruu

imported post

Hey Midnight! Thanks for the info! Heh, I bet it don't hurt half as much as shooting +P out of a Taurus 85. I don't think I'll do much more except for reliability verification shooting with it. More than likely attire will determine if it gets carried. Does it fit well in a pocket holster? How is the draw from a pocket?

-Gruu

TehGruu

imported post

I thought about that, but for a few bucks more the Ruger seems a little better made.

-Gruu

midnight61

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Hey Midnight! Thanks for the info! Heh, I bet it don't hurt half as much as shooting +P out of a Taurus 85. I don't think I'll do much more except for reliability verification shooting with it. More than likely attire will determine if it gets carried. Does it fit well in a pocket holster? How is the draw from a pocket?

-Gruu
I have 2 pocket holsters, DeSantis Nemesis for my front pants pocket & a Hunter 2500 in my rear pocket. Depending what I'm wearing decides what pocket I carry but since the Hunter looks like a wallet I usually carry that where I used to keep my wallet. I've adjusted my lifestyle to carrying so I now keep my wallet in a different pocket. Just in case I need to draw my "wallet" in a life threatening situation, I'm actually reaching for the LCP. With a little practice it draws pretty smooth. During the summer time this is a backup to a S&W J-frame 642 and in the winter it's a backup to a Springfield XD9 Sub-compact. During the summer where concealment is a concern and I can only carry one, I find the LCP perfect. I did consider the Kel Tec but the Ruger wasn't that much more in price and my FFL dealer recommended the Ruger.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#lcp%20holster____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The Ruger LCP prices are back at or slightly less than $300 which makes it more attractive to me. For awhile, private sellers and vendors were asking up to $500 for them. That seems to be over.

Anyone know the s/n cutoff where the recall problem was fixed?

TehGruu

imported post

I believe if it has a s/n that starts with "370" and doesn't have a stamp on it, at the base of the hammer recess on the slide,then you need to send it in.

-Gruu

TehGruu

imported post

midnight61 wrote:
TehGruu wrote:

-Gruu
I have 2 pocket holsters, DeSantis Nemesis for my front pants pocket & a Hunter 2500 in my rear pocket. Depending what I'm wearing decides what pocket I carry but since the Hunter looks like a wallet I usually carry that where I used to keep my wallet. I've adjusted my lifestyle to carrying so I now keep my wallet in a different pocket. Just in case I need to draw my "wallet" in a life threatening situation, I'm actually reaching for the LCP. With a little practice it draws pretty smooth. During the summer time this is a backup to a S&W J-frame 642 and in the winter it's a backup to a Springfield XD9 Sub-compact. During the summer where concealment is a concern and I can only carry one, I find the LCP perfect. I did consider the Kel Tec but the Ruger wasn't that much more in price and my FFL dealer recommended the Ruger.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#lcp%20holster____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Hey, thanks again for your input! Lol, this will definately be cheaper than what I'm going to be dropping down for a holster, mag pouches, and Wilson mags for my Colt.

-Gruu

-Gruu

IanB

imported post

HankT wrote:
The Ruger LCP prices are back at or slightly less than $300 which makes it more attractive to me. For awhile, private sellers and vendors were asking up to $500 for them. That seems to be over.

Hank, since you have already stated you don't open carry...do you havea carry permit for Jersey, or is this for when you go to trade shows and conferences out of state?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
HankT wrote:

Hank, since you have already stated you don't open carry...do you havea carry permit for Jersey, or is this for when you go to trade shows and conferences out of state?

NSL, when did I say that?

And what is the "permit for Jersey" bit?

Do you even know what you are typing, NSL, when you hit the keys?

Make some sense, please...

IanB

imported post

I could swear youwrote you do not open carry in that thread "Does HankT OC?" which got deleted. Unfortunatly, since it was deleted we can't reference the thread anymore, and you refuse toconfirm if YOU DO open carry, thus I have to rely on my bad memory which is that you replied you DON'T OC. Or is my memory failing me? Feel free to update us Hank.

Are you dense? I think what I wrote was easy to understand. I asked if you had a NJ concealed carry permit. Jersey does not allow OC, therefore for you to carry an LCP I'd think a NJ carry permit might come in handy, yes? I wouldn't buy a LCP for home defense... there are much better options, wouldn't you agree?

hp-hobo

imported post

The LCP is a rockin' little gun. We got the first one in the state, before the prices got stupid (we paid $300 OTD), and have been happy campers ever since. My wife carriesit everywhere except the shower. Depending on her mode of dress she uses either a DeSantis Nemisis or an Uncle Mike's IWB, I think size one. It's small enough that it just disappears.

At this point she has well over 3k rounds through it with zero problems. It eats any kind of ammo we've tried (which is most .380's) except PMC Starfires which won't fully chamber. Weinitially added a Hogue Jr grip to make it easier to hang onto, which helps a lot. She also now has four Ruger mags with the finger extension to go with four standard mags so she can decide what works best at the time. The extensions let you get another finger on the grip which makes for more comfort and better accuracy but leave a bigger print. Pro-Mag makes mags with extensions for less money but I don't trust their stuff.

Check the serial number. If it starts with 371 it was built after the recall which is good. If it starts with 370, also check for the stamp on the rear of the frame to make sure the recall has been accomplished. Info is available on the Ruger website.

I've recently seen them online for as little as $270 and at gun shows for $350. The first time I see them for $250 I'm buying another one for her and one for me as well. They're that damn good. IMO worth the slight premium over a P-3AT.

Good luck with it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I could swear youwrote you do not open carry in that thread "Does HankT OC?" which got deleted. Unfortunatly, since it was deleted we can't reference the thread anymore, and you refuse toconfirm if YOU DO open carry, thus I have to rely on my bad memory which is that you replied you DON'T OC. Or is my memory failing me? Feel free to update us Hank.

You could swear....?

About the "Does HankT OC" thread???? Who started that thread? Who deleted it, NSL? Maybe we can ask him....

Your memory, failing you? Could be. You once went to a MMM meeting to video record the event--but you, uhm, forgot to it for some reason...

Quite embarassing, as I recall. :p

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Are you dense? I think what I wrote was easy to understand. I asked if you had a NJ concealed carry permit. Jersey does not allow OC, therefore for you to carry an LCP I'd think a NJ carry permit might come in handy, yes?
"Are you dense?" Huh?

What in H-E-double hockey sticks are you talking about? What in blazes is your obsession with New Jersey?

I've never set foot in the Garden State. Are you, uh, ....er....well, you know....???

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I wouldn't buy a LCP for home defense... there are much better options, wouldn't you agree?

Yep, LCP is not a good home defense gun. I can agree witchoo on that one.

One out of three coherent statements, NSL..... Keep up the good work.

IanB

imported post

Iguess you FAIL again Hank. How many times do I have to post the link for you? Watch the link below, does it appear I forgot to turn my camera on? And embarrassing? By who's measure, yours? I'm quite proud of my work. MMM has not held one public meeting since we shut them down. You also FAIL to remember that I was not the only one there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsyrBTvN2g

What have YOU done for 2A activism? <crickets>

And I do note you still cannot answer the question. Youdodge, obfuscate, and attempt to take things off track in different directions by asking more questions and not answering the ones directed at you. My memory says you told everyone that you don't OC. Has something changed? Have you begun OC'ing now Hank? I would think that someone on a site geared toward open carry would be able to proudly answer the question, but you seem ashamed... but what is shaming you? There are plenty of folks on this site that don't OC and they have plenty of reasons why they don't. Some live in restrictive states, others are afraid to do so. They may not have OC'd before but they are not afraid to say so. What are you afraid of Hank?

It's just one simple question. Do you OC?

Do you have the courage to answer a simple yes or no question, or will you attempt to deflect again?

IanB

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Here's a thought...

Why don't you girls go get a room for your catfight? :quirky
Hank would have to show his face first, and up till now he's only been a keyboard commando.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Iguess you FAIL again Hank. How many times do I have to post the link for you? Watch the link below, does it appear I forgot to turn my camera on? And embarrassing? By who's measure, yours? I'm quite proud of my work. MMM has not held one public meeting since we shut them down. You also FAIL to remember that I was not the only one there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsyrBTvN2g

What have YOU done for 2A activism? <crickets>

And I do note you still cannot answer the question. Youdodge, obfuscate, and attempt to take things off track in different directions by asking more questions and not answering the ones directed at you. My memory says you told everyone that you don't OC. Has something changed? Have you begun OC'ing now Hank? I would think that someone on a site geared toward open carry would be able to proudly answer the question, but you seem ashamed... but what is shaming you? There are plenty of folks on this site that don't OC and they have plenty of reasons why they don't. Some live in restrictive states, others are afraid to do so. They may not have OC'd before but they are not afraid to say so. What are you afraid of Hank?

It's just one simple question. Do you OC?

Do you have the courage to answer a simple yes or no question, or will you attempt to deflect again?

Doo doo doo.....dooo doo doo dooo....um....doo dood ooo....
65.gif
doo doo ....doo do doooo.....

New Jersey!!

Doo dooo....um....doo doo doo....doo doo ....doo do doooo.....

65.gif

IanB

imported post

Hahaha, can't answer the question eh Hank? Do you OC? Do you?

<crickets>

Sand-Treader.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
I've recently seen them online for as little as $270 and at gun shows for $350. The first time I see them for $250 I'm buying another one for her and one for me as well. They're that damn good. IMO worth the slight premium over a P-3AT.

If I see a new one at $250-$270 I would be unable to resist...

The P3AT was the standard for this kind of pocket gun....but it ain't anymore...