• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Request for References?

RugerP97D

imported post

A friend of mine lives in Beacon Falls and is going to start the process to get his permit.

He noted on the Towns application that they want 3 reference letters and that they prefer town residents?

Is that a legal requirement?

He knows no one from his town as he works alot and only moved there 2 years ago.

gluegun

imported post

Unfortunately, state law requires that the local issuing authority determines the "suitability" of an applicant, without defining who is suitable or what criteria a local issuing authority may use. Many towns have opted to require letters of reference.

dwayner79

imported post

Waterbury just said 3... All of mine were out of city folks. (2 from Danbury and one in Cheshire) So long as you can get 3 people who actually know you, and who don't think your nuts, you should be fine.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

When I first got my permit in Stratford oh so many years ago, they too required 3 reference letters signed and notarized. I typed up the letter, made 3 copies and had 3 of my work friends sign them in front of a secretary at work that was a notary.

Since then Stratford has dropped that stupid requirement!! They never contacted any of my friends to check on my "suitability"!
It is just another hoop that you are expected to jump through to exercise your 2A right!!!

Edit: Welcome to the OC forum RugerP97D. Have you or your friend signed up for the CCDL? I highly recommend that you both do.

www.ccdl.us membership is free. Join and get involved with the fight in Ct.

buketdude

imported post

I got my permit 4 years ago in Windsor, CT. They asked for 3 reference letters, never contacted any of the people..i got my permit in only about 2 weeks too..no questions asked..

Edward Peruta

imported post

The state has a uniform application used by every issuing authority in the state.

Letters of reference may be requested but not demanded by issuing authorities.

If you feel comfortable providing the names or letters of reference, why not point the issuing authority to individuals with positive things to say.

The process and requirements areclearly outlined in the law.

RugerP97D wrote:
A friend of mine lives in Beacon Falls and is going to start the process to get his permit.

He noted on the Towns application that they want 3 reference letters and that they prefer town residents?

Is that a legal requirement?

He knows no one from his town as he works alot and only moved there 2 years ago.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Bridgeport does it too, a friend of mine from work had to go through that so I offered up myself as a character reference. Mind you, she's been waiting 3 months for her permit - I don't think Bridgeport much likes it's tax-payers to carry.

nviper

imported post

a friend of mine tried applying in stratford and they require letters but they will not accept letters from out of state.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

nviper wrote:
a friend of mine tried applying in stratford and they require letters but they will not accept letters from out of state.
My wife just got hers this year. The reference letters are not needed anymore in this town

Edward Peruta

imported post

If you don't receive an approval or denial in the required 8 weeks, file your appeal with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

Submit applications without letters or reference and if denied or delayed beyond the eight weeks, file an appeal.

Rumor has it that the Spinelli v. New York decsion out of the 2nd Circuit is about to change the landscape on getting prompt appeals.

GoldCoaster wrote:
Bridgeport does it too, a friend of mine from work had to go through that so I offered up myself as a character reference. Mind you, she's been waiting 3 months for her permit - I don't think Bridgeport much likes it's tax-payers to carry.

RugerP97D

imported post

Pointed my friend to these responses.

He is just going to get the letters, he wants his permit and doesn't want to give any reason to hold the process up.

Still seems like a stalling tactic on the municipality's side to me though.

GoldCoaster

imported post

RugerP97D wrote:
Pointed my friend to these responses.

He is just going to get the letters, he wants his permit and doesn't want to give any reason to hold the process up.

Still seems like a stalling tactic on the municipality's side to me though.
Because it is a stalling tactic. They are putting stumbling blocks between the law abiding citizen and the permit. Obviously they aren't checking the veracity of the letters by calling the writers so it's really just BS.

We are living in interesting times.

nviper

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:
nviper wrote:
My wife just got hers this year. The reference letters are not needed anymore in this town
lenny, my friend just reapplied because the stat "lost" his paper work. they would not accept his nra certificate or one of his letters because the person that they came from lives in vermont. they said that it is a connecticut permit so he needs a connecticut certificate and reference. maybe they are just screwing with him but thats what he was told.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

We need to talk about this in person. I think that I am missing something...Stratford does not require reference letters any more. V turned in her paperwork in April...no letters required. We can talk on Sunday....Cause I wanna be a cowboy!!!

Edward Peruta

imported post

Documents submitted to a police department become public records.

Public records are controlled by the Public Records Admistrators office.

Losing public records is a serious problem and COULD be reported to the Public Records Administrator who would investigate.

Ask the P.D. to verify in writing that the original application was lost.

If you want, PM me with the details and I will make an inquiry as a member of the press regarding lost applications for permits.

In the mean time file an appeal with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners immediately if the original application was submitted more than eight weeks ago.

You can always withdraw the appeal if they issue promptly after the new application.

P.S. If the facts support your allegations, file a written request that the Department launch an administrative investigation into the loss of public records. I may be an internal affairs matter.

Asterus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have asked the same question about my students coming back to me after the class to fill out supplementary paperwork for their towns. I e-mailed the state and recieved this reply.

Det. Mattson\Karanda To: DPS Special Licensing Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:38 AM Subject: RE: Pistol permit applications
Dear Mr. Larson, We are in receipt of your email and will offer the following statement to you. The State of Connecticut recognizes the permitting statutes as per 29-28 through 29-32. The local authority may ask for other supplemental documentation to make a determination on a particular applicant but may not deny them based on failure to provide the same. The live fire issue is that mandated by what ever training course is being offer, NRA, DEP or other certified instructor. The local authority is attempting to make a fact based decision on issuing a permit to carry a pistol or revolver. I hope this clarifies the situation for you. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact our office. Det. T. M. Karanda Connecticut State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
[size=
]
[/size]

Edward Peruta

imported post

ASTERUS

Since the date of your request, changes have taken place in the Department of Public Safety which may cause a different answer.

The current supervisors and staff in the Special License and Firearms Unit are beginning to implement changes which could benefit applicants and current permit holders.

A local issuing authority MAY request additional information but MAY NOT deny the permit for failure to submit information beyond what is required by law.

The informationand supporting documentation contained and requested inthe STATEWIDE APPLICATION (DPS FROM 799-C 10/09), together with documentation that an approved safety course has been completed are mandatory.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-799-c.pdf

Fingerprints MAY be required but can beWAIVED (see below sec. 29-29 (b)) by the local issuing authority if taken previously and on file with a local, state or federal agency. Positive Identification to conduct a criminal records check is what is required.

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

I see that you are online, if possible email me a contact number and I will provide addtional details. edperuta@amcable.tv