• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making a positive change

Commodore76

imported post

Fellow Washingtonians,

Hi there, I'm new to this site, but not the issue of carrying firearms. My desire is to see folks feeling less threatened by the sight of an armed citizen. My belief is that folks are instantly nervous because it is something that they don't see every day, so they let their minds wander to every negative event that involves firearms.

My thought process leads me to wonder if people saw others legally carrying firearms more often, they would not feel instantly threatened. I heard a comparison given to me by a friend that is a little politically incorrect, but I believe it to paint a picture of accuracy. People don’t see guns all the time, so it makes them nervous. "While I don’t see midgets (short people) everyday, they do exist legally, but that doesn’t mean I should freak out or stare when I do see one.” Again, just because it is not commonplace, does not mean that it is wrong.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here. What I am looking for is user feedback or suggestions to help change the situation we are currently facing where firearms and the2nd Amendment are demonized in “polite society”.

Any positive ideas as to how we can visibly and effectivelytake back our Bill of Rights? Specifically, the 2nd?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

As more and more people become aware of the lagality of Open Carry, more and more people are doing it.

As more people Open Carry the public sees more of it.

As the public sees more people Open Carry they become more used to it.

Mission Accomplished!

BTW - The horseless carriage used to scare the shyte out of people, as did airplanes and cameras. Just something to think about.

Commodore76

imported post

To NavyLT.

Sir,

I understand that open carry is legal in the state of Washington. My question was not about the legality of open carry, but what steps can be taken to create an environment where it does not cause the panic that many folks feel when they see a legally armed citizen. In my county, open carry doesn't raise an eyebrow anywhere. The same cannot be said for many other areas.

I see that someone posted a comment about hosting an event where folks carried out in the open. While I love the idea, this isn't the area I would focus on. Again, in my little slice of Heaven, it's not an issue. I'm sure that I don't have to point out areas where folks might have a different reaction.

I was stationed withthe Fighting Marlinsout of Whidbey Island for almost six years. I'm quite certain that if I were to have carried a firearm in many areas surrounding the base (Oak Harbor, Anacortes, Mt. Vernon etc...) it would have caused a problem.

V/R,

Commodore

Commodore76

imported post

To Manu,

Lol, when are you available? Must bring a minimum of 20 friends who will also carryin the open. It's your responsibility to ensure that all your guests are legal! A bbq in a local park is a great idea! I'd be willing to coordinate a little...

Respectfully,

Commodore

Commodore76

imported post

For the most part, I would agree with you. However, it is rare that we see someone so visibly expressing the Bill of Rights. I love the idea of gatherings where people do not hide.

I am not an advocate of displaying your personal protection tools. It is my opinion that it is more important to carry in the open and attempt to gain some ground on changing the minds of those opposed to gun ownership by making it more commonplace. Most people have no idea how many CPL's have been issued in this state. If it were not simply abstract numbers they may or may not see in the news and portrayed in a positive way... Who knows? I am under no delusion that we can change every closed mind out there. Why not try?

Thanks for the posts, I enjoy reading all the suggestions!

Respectfully,

Commodore

David.Car

imported post

Here is a quick run down of my encounters while open carrying last week... This is just since Saturday.

4 stops. All positive. All had CPL. None knew OC was even a possibility. All of them were given a brief explanation. A card with some legal information and this website.

Being in public is one of the best tools. I have given out dozens of pamphlets and dozens of cards and just talked to dozens and dozens of more people. Spread the knowledge when you can.

Commodore76

imported post

David.Car,

Excellent idea! You made reference to cards with legal information and pamphlets. Could you be more specific? I would like to follow suit and provide the same support for interested members of the public. I will start sending people to this site now that I've found it. I still like the idea of public gatherings... Not to flaunt, rather to educate!

Thanks for your post!

Commodore

FunkTrooper

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
Fellow Washingtonians,

Hi there, I'm new to this site, but not the issue of carrying firearms. My desire is to see folks feeling less threatened by the sight of an armed citizen. My belief is that folks are instantly nervous because it is something that they don't see every day, so they let their minds wander to every negative event that involves firearms.

My thought process leads me to wonder if people saw others legally carrying firearms more often, they would not feel instantly threatened. I heard a comparison given to me by a friend that is a little politically incorrect, but I believe it to paint a picture of accuracy. People don’t see guns all the time, so it makes them nervous. "While I don’t see midgets (short people) everyday, they do exist legally, but that doesn’t mean I should freak out or stare when I do see one.” Again, just because it is not commonplace, does not mean that it is wrong.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here. What I am looking for is user feedback or suggestions to help change the situation we are currently facing where firearms and the2nd Amendment are demonized in “polite society”.

Any positive ideas as to how we can visibly and effectivelytake back our Bill of Rights? Specifically, the 2nd?
I have a bone to pick with your analogy (or is it a metaphor), people being frightened by someone carrying a pistol isn't because they don't see it everyday it's because they see it on TV presented in a negative way and that they don't really know it's legality. So really it's irrational fear given rationale through are media and the press.

Squeak

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
To NavyLT.

Sir,

In my county, open carry doesn't raise an eyebrow anywhere. The same cannot be said for many other areas.

V/R,

Commodore
And where is your country?

Commodore76

imported post

I agree with the potential cause for the fear or apprehension that most feel toward firearms. I was illustrating another potential reason.

Respectfully,

Commodore

Commodore76

imported post

As the Active Duty LT pointed out, I said COUNTY, not Country. My CountRy is the United States of America of which I proudly servedin the United States NAVY.

Thank you for your post, though. Keeps me on my toes.

Respectfully,

Commodore

Commodore76

imported post

Sir,

Let me thank you and the other members again for this movement. I've been looking for something similar to this for a long time. Kinda felt alone in this "quest".

I'll definately spend more time checking out all that this site has to offer. My question was posted out of excitement and my aggressive desire to "get started" and contribute in any way I can.

If you're familiar with the restaurants in the area, I was approached by the owner of a local establishment in Oak Harbor with a hand shake and a "thank you" for having the "guts" to carry in the open. Meal was comp'd and I was asked to come back often. Oak Harbor PD was waiting for me outside to check my ID and I was told they would be in contact with my Command. Sadly, I did have to explain my actions to my CMC, XO and Skipper. They told me that I was not authorized to conduct myself in that manner and was not shedding a good light on the Navy.

Again, sad.

I'll look around here some more before I post any more silly questions. Thank youfor your continued service to this Great Country! (Not County)

Commodore76

imported post

Manu,

I live in Lewis County. I don't have much of a profile. We have some great parks around here! I'd love to coordinate an event. Indoor might be preferred due to the coming foul weather!

Respectfully,

Commodore

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Commodore.. Look up Pavlovs dogs / behaviour conditioning...

Essentially, you can condition an animal (humans included) by being exposed to stimuli multiple times

Uneventful OC'ing is the best way, IMO, to achieve the goals of somewhat normalcy/socially accepted.

Machoduck

imported post

Some of us already drool over guns. Let's get some of the general public to drool over them too. I'm not referring to those that drool all the time now. We'll never change their minds.

MD

Commodore76

imported post

TechnoWeenie

Posted: Thu Oct 1st, 2009 11:44 pm

Commodore.. Look up Pavlovs dogs / behaviour conditioning...

Essentially, you can condition an animal (humans included) by being exposed to stimuli multiple times

Uneventful OC'ing is the best way, IMO, to achieve the goals of somewhat normalcy/socially accepted.

I am totally onboard with the idea of one person making a difference and doing exactly what you have said. My problem is this. I live in an area where no one is concerned. I usually don't travel to areas where people might have a problem with OC. What I was looking for was maybe some more group activities or methods of getting the word out on a more grand scale. If no one sees me open carry, did my message get out? That is where I'm coming from.

Thank you for your post!

Respectfully,

Commodore