• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KCSO Improper Signage

sirpuma

imported post

Here you can see the entrance to the administrative part of the Kitsap County Sheriff's office (in Port Orchard); you know the part with full public access through the WHOLE building where you go to get fingerprints for licenses and such. Not to be confused with the Kitsap County Court House which is right next door. The picture isn't perfect but on the door it says "Weapons are prohibited within this building". There is no check point, no metal detector, no security. I sent email to the Sheriff's office and to the Attorney General's office stating I believe this to be in violation of RCW 9.41.290 and 9.41.300(1)a-b. What do you guys think?

KCSOdoor.jpg

heresolong

imported post

I'd say you are absolutely correct, although 9.41.290 would only apply if they actually have an ordinance. OTW, 9.41.300 applies. The public access areas for conducting business are not included as restricted areas.

RCW 9.41.300Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

kparker

imported post

NavyLT, I'd say the department doesn't have the authority to ban firearms in the whole building, regardless of whether they screen or not. Says so right in 9.41.300 1(a): "Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public".

The only reason they get away with it in Tacoma's County-City Building is that the building also has a court facility that's spread over several floors and by any rational evaluation the only practical way to secure the court facility is to secure the entire building. (See 9.41.300 1(b).) But note especially that this paragraph (b) is only talking about courts: there's no provision at all for law-enforcement entities to say, "It's too hard to secure the restricted-access parts of our facility, so we'll secure the whole building."

Ajetpilot

imported post

If I remember correctly, the sheriff's office is attached to the court house. The office in Silverdale does not have that signage. The main entrance to the court house has the required lock boxes. I think they are operating correctly.

That being said, across the street at the admin building, there is a no weapons sign on the front door, and that building is not attached to the court house. I know of one member here who has walked passed the sign into the admin building and conducted business without any problems.

sirpuma

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
If I remember correctly, the sheriff's office is attached to the court house. The office in Silverdale does not have that signage. The main entrance to the court house has the required lock boxes. I think they are operating correctly.

That being said, across the street at the admin building, there is a no weapons sign on the front door, and that building is not attached to the court house. I know of one member here who has walked passed the sign into the admin building and conducted business without any problems.
except that the only portion of the building that is off limits per state law is those portions deemed restricted access. They can't prohibit the whole building if that area is not a restricted access area. If they are restricting firearms from the public access areas then they are in violation of state law.

sirpuma

imported post

I just got this email from KCSO. :celebrate

The sign has been removed. Thanks for bringing this error to our attention. It had been in place for a long time and no one seemed to notice.

Thanks again!
Dennis Bonneville, Undersheriff

sudden valley gunner

imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
I thought you could not carry in police station
I just met with a deputy chief and city attorney here in Bellingham openly carried even back to the office we had our meeting in. Of course they are trying to be on their best behavior right now.

gsx1138

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
fire suppressor wrote:
I thought you could not carry in police station
I just met with a deputy chief and city attorney here in Bellingham openly carried even back to the office we had our meeting in. Of course they are trying to be on their best behavior right now.
Something tells me there's a story there.

fire suppressor

imported post

RCW 9.41.300:
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;
I stand corrected I apologies. I guess no matter how hard we all try we all will have a few RCWs backwards. Great information!