Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: only one gun per mothn without a cancealed permit

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    falls church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    hello

    im going to the gun show in Chantilly this weekend and would like to know if the one gun per month law applies only for hand guns or any tipe of gun

    i would like to buy a new hand gun and a carbine 223cl but i dont have concealed permit



    thank you

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    The gun rationing law in Virginia applies to handguns, not to rifles or shotguns. You may also wish to read this:

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...ePurchase.shtm

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Ithought you meant cancelled permit but now that I read your post , I see you meant concealed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    Ithought you meant cancelled permit but now that I read your post , I see you meant concealed
    If he tries to buy more than one handgun, he may end up with a cancelled permit!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    If he tries to buy more than one handgun, he may end up with a cancelled permit!
    Actually, Virginia's gun rationing law does not apply to those with a valid concealed carry permit.

    (Or are you making a joke? If so, ignore me.)


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463

    Post imported post

    bblackmoor wrote:
    The gun rationing law in Virginia applies to handguns, not to rifles or shotguns. You may also wish to read this:

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...ePurchase.shtm
    The law also only applies to purchases from dealers with a FFL. Private citizen to private citizen sales areexempt fromthe law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    bblackmoor wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    If he tries to buy more than one handgun, he may end up with a cancelled permit!
    Actually, Virginia's gun rationing law does not apply to those with a valid concealed carry permit.

    (Or are you making a joke? If so, ignore me.)
    I was joking....piggybacking Ed's post.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    bblackmoor wrote:
    The gun rationing law in Virginia applies to handguns, not to rifles or shotguns. You may also wish to read this:

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...ePurchase.shtm
    The law also only applies to purchases from dealers with a FFL. Private citizen to private citizen sales areexempt fromthe law.
    This part of the above-quoted info from the State Police has not, to my knowledge, been tested in court:
    When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics.
    As written, the exception for multiple purchases via a private sale, applies only to curios & relics. I know that others will disagree, but the words are right there.

    I am not an attorney, and I am not telling you what to do or what I think/feel/believe you ought to do. I'm just putting information out there for you to consider.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    As written, the exception for multiple purchases via a private sale, applies only to curios & relics. I know that others will disagree, but the words are right there.
    So they are. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...d+18.2-308.2C2


  10. #10
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    bblackmoor wrote:
    The gun rationing law in Virginia applies to handguns, not to rifles or shotguns. You may also wish to read this:

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...ePurchase.shtm
    The law also only applies to purchases from dealers with a FFL. Private citizen to private citizen sales areexempt fromthe law.
    This part of the above-quoted info from the State Police has not, to my knowledge, been tested in court:
    When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics.
    As written, the exception for multiple purchases via a private sale, applies only to curios & relics. I know that others will disagree, but the words are right there.

    I am not an attorney, and I am not telling you what to do or what I think/feel/believe you ought to do. I'm just putting information out there for you to consider.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    Hmm, I used to disagree... thinking that there were three items in the series joined by the coordinating conjunction 'or.' I gave it a closer look and now I see what you're talking about, skidmark...

    At first I read each item to be:
    1. makes occasional sales
    2. exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios and relics as herein defined
    3. or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics
    The only way to tell what they really intended is the placement of the preposition "of" before firearms. Now I see that it was meant to be read:
    1. makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms...
    2. or who sells all or part of such collection...
    Call it style or whatever you want, I know those commas are optional, but sometimes they're key to conveying your intended meaning. I think, if that was their intent, that they should have placed a comma after "exchanges."

    i. A person who purchases a handgun in a private sale. For purposes of this subdivision, a private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics;


    Either that or use semi-colons (super-commas) between the individual items of a series so that we can tell the difference between those and items of a sub-series. Or enumerate them on their own line in an ordered list:
    1)
    2)
    3)
    a)
    b)
    c)


    I re-read (P)(1), since I have argued that one before in this forum, but I still believe that "for lawful business or personal use" is the first item in a series.

    If one wanted to write (P)(1) to clearly apply only to collections and estate sales, simply remove the comma following "personal use," like so:

    1. Purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period may be made upon completion of an enhanced background check, as described herein, by special application to the Department of State Police listing the number and type of handguns to be purchased and transferred for lawful business or personal use in a collector series, for collections, as a bulk purchase from estate sales and for similar purposes.

    In summary, I believe that (P)(2)(i) does in fact apply only to curios and relics; however, (P)(1) may apply to any lawful business or personal use... unless someone can tell me why they put a comma after "personal use."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •