• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

only one gun per mothn without a cancealed permit

led for breakfast

imported post

hello

im going to the gun show in Chantilly this weekend and would like to know if the one gun per month law applies only for hand guns or any tipe of gun

i would like to buy a new hand gun and a carbine 223cl but i dont have concealed permit

thank you

bblackmoor

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
If he tries to buy more than one handgun, he may end up with a cancelled permit! :)

Actually, Virginia's gun rationing law does not apply to those with a valid concealed carry permit.

(Or are you making a joke? If so, ignore me.)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
bblackmoor wrote:
The gun rationing law in Virginia applies to handguns, not to rifles or shotguns. You may also wish to read this:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm
The law also only applies to purchases from dealers with a FFL. Private citizen to private citizen sales areexempt fromthe law.

This part of the above-quoted info from the State Police has not, to my knowledge, been tested in court:
When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics.
As written, the exception for multiple purchases via a private sale, applies only to curios & relics. I know that others will disagree, but the words are right there.

I am not an attorney, and I am not telling you what to do or what I think/feel/believe you ought to do. I'm just putting information out there for you to consider.

stay safe.

skidmark

virginiatuck

imported post

skidmark wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
bblackmoor wrote:
The gun rationing law in Virginia applies to handguns, not to rifles or shotguns. You may also wish to read this:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm
The law also only applies to purchases from dealers with a FFL. Private citizen to private citizen sales areexempt fromthe law.

This part of the above-quoted info from the State Police has not, to my knowledge, been tested in court:
When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics.
As written, the exception for multiple purchases via a private sale, applies only to curios & relics. I know that others will disagree, but the words are right there.

I am not an attorney, and I am not telling you what to do or what I think/feel/believe you ought to do. I'm just putting information out there for you to consider.

stay safe.

skidmark
Hmm, I used to disagree... thinking that there were three items in the series joined by the coordinating conjunction 'or.' I gave it a closer look and now I see what you're talking about, skidmark...

At first I read each item to be:
  1. makes occasional sales
  2. exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios and relics as herein defined
  3. or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics
The only way to tell what they really intended is the placement of the preposition "of" before firearms. Now I see that it was meant to be read:
  1. makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms...
  2. or who sells all or part of such collection...
Call it style or whatever you want, I know those commas are optional, but sometimes they're key to conveying your intended meaning. I think, if that was their intent, that they should have placed a comma after "exchanges."

i. A person who purchases a handgun in a private sale. For purposes of this subdivision, a private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics;

Either that or use semi-colons (super-commas) between the individual items of a series so that we can tell the difference between those and items of a sub-series. Or enumerate them on their own line in an ordered list:
1)
2)
3)
a)
b)
c)

I re-read (P)(1), since I have argued that one before in this forum, but I still believe that "for lawful business or personal use" is the first item in a series.

If one wanted to write (P)(1) to clearly apply only to collections and estate sales, simply remove the comma following "personal use," like so:

1. Purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period may be made upon completion of an enhanced background check, as described herein, by special application to the Department of State Police listing the number and type of handguns to be purchased and transferred for lawful business or personal use in a collector series, for collections, as a bulk purchase from estate sales and for similar purposes.

In summary, I believe that (P)(2)(i) does in fact apply only to curios and relics; however, (P)(1) may apply to any lawful business or personal use... unless someone can tell me why they put a comma after "personal use."