• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning to make a video for newcomers to guns regarding holster and gun selection

Michigander

imported post

Mark and I have been emailing back and forth about this video.

What we both agreed on at my suggestion, and he established as a rule since it's his property is that all guns to be used in the video MUST be unloaded. Slide locked back and in a case is what I suggest. Makes it easy and safe to take them out and set them on the table where we'll make the movie.

rj3663

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Mark and I have been emailing back and forth about this video.

What we both agreed on at my suggestion, and he established as a rule since it's his property is that all guns to be used in the video MUST be unloaded. Slide locked back and in a case is what I suggest. Makes it easy and safe to take them out and set them on the table where we'll make the movie.
Check Venators thread on the OC talk in Fowlerville. If you have the video done by nov 7th you could bring it along and we could set up a monitor to play it while folks are there. I know it's not much time and you could even shoot some of Brians talk to add if you felt that it would help.

Michigander

imported post

I've got a new outline I typed out. I'm all for suggestions.

Outline

Intro, perhaps with footage and music spliced into it, perhaps with a blank colored screen and words going across it like credits on TV.

Intro of those on camera, first with a brief explanation of the purpose of the video, and second where each individual introduces themselves, and quickly and without further comment says what they carry.

When the main body of the film starts, a large assortment of handguns and holsters will be on the table laid out neatly. The handguns will be placed right by their holsters for neatness and convenience. The handguns must be unloaded and locked open, or have their cylinders swung out.

Starting with the holsters, each holster will be gone over for how it is used. If possible, this will include a holster being in hand as it’s being discussed, as well as someone wearing another one to demonstrate how it’s used with an ASP red gun, or perhaps a pistol with the barrel removed. The following characteristics will be gone over for each.

- Cost
- Safety
- Comfort
- Speed
- Durability
- Concealability and/or retention where applicable
- How to use properly and what role it’s best suited for

Live fire demos and staged violent encounters can easily be spliced into this by having a blank screen that says “demo” and cutting to demo drawing and shooting using that rig.

After that, pistols themselves and how appropriate and safe they are for use in specific holsters will be assessed by the group with the checklist.
- Drop safety
- Cost
- Safe and proper carry condition
- Proper ways to load and unload

Gun belts and mag pouches can also be gone over at this point, if desired.

The staged violent encounter footage to be spliced in later will be filmed at this point. This could also be used as stand alone youtube movie material with written or audio commentary. Whatever seems to work well.

Conclusion with some silly line like “Stay armed, stay safe, and thanks for watching”.

PDinDetroit

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I am here to tell you that as teacher 10 min is perfect for a video. Any more and people have to be extremely interested to stay focused.

This is coming from a teacher who instructs hands on learners... The kids the other teacher don't know what to do with :lol:
Will this fit within the 10 min window???

What type of video/audio equipment will you have?

Are you thinking a normal background (room you are filming in) or will you green-screen and matte in another background later (or only for specific segments)?

What video editing studio software are you using or who would be doing that?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Will this fit within the 10 min window???

What type of video/audio equipment will you have?

Are you thinking a normal background (room you are filming in) or will you green-screen and matte in another background later (or only for specific segments)?

What video editing studio software are you using or who would be doing that?
I want to keep everything fast, but I am not too concerned about 10 minute windows. Youtube will separate them that way anyway.

There will be no green screen, just Marks office, but it should work.

Evil Creamsicle has offered to edit the footage.

Michigander, reporting from Evil Creamsicles PC. :p

T Vance

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I am here to tell you that as teacher 10 min is perfect for a video. Any more and people have to be extremely interested to stay focused.

This is coming from a teacher who instructs hands on learners... The kids the other teacher don't know what to do with :lol:

Autosurgeon is right. a 30 min (or more) video might get boring after a while if it is generally about the same thing. Whole group instruction (what used to be referred to as "lecture") should last no more than 15 minutes, or else you start to lose your audience (ever notice how commercials interupt TV shows every 7-10 minutes?).

I think this video is a great idea. If you add other dynamics, then creating a 30+ minute video would work out. JMO

rj3663

imported post

I would think that adding a bit of info as to the probability of being disarmed and taken into custody along with the likelyhood of a civil action being filed against you in the event of a shooting would be prudent. It is one of the aspects of prepardness in regards to responsable gun ownership. Some folks do seem to think that their "Death ray" 9MM's will get them out of anything as long as they are the good guy!

Michigander

imported post

Just got done doing another lunch discussion of this.

Mark is going to try to get access to a public access cable station he is associated with. He is allowed to use their equipment, their studio, and their mobile vans. We may be able to get this on TV, played numerous times.

Mark will contact me with more details as they become available, and I'll post them as soon as I get them.

Michigander

imported post

We're going to be doing this at Mark's office for sure, with the use of some of that special equipment mentioned.

He and an associate of his are going to arrange the place to be used for filming the evening before, so we should be pretty set to go.

We discussed doing a "dry run" practice before we do the actual filming, just to get a feel for it, and I think that might be a good idea.

Michigander

imported post

THIS IS TOMORROW FOLKS!!!

We don't seem to have as many people coming out as I'd have liked. Evil Creamsicle it turns out can't even make it. :(

Anybody in the area, please come out if you can. You don't even have to be on camera if you don't want to be. We can arrange it so you can have your head out of the shot, but you can do holster drawing demo's, or tell about your rig, whatever you want. Even just showing up to have fun and staying out of the movie would be fine if you let everyone critique your gear.

Michigander

imported post

Nobody else wants to come out?
46.gif

Should turn out decent enough anyway, but probably less emphasis on OC than I'd have liked.

Michigander

imported post

The movie turned out great!

About 37 minutes total footage as I recall. The garbage will be getting chopped out, and it'll probably be more like 30 minutes. The segments will be able to be broken down to 5 or 10 minutes each, and used as a little youtube series, or stand alone clips on one topic.

Definitely a fun time, and I hope a useful movie for folks who are trying to learn about guns. I think it will be very useful for students of Mark's who he can tell to watch it if they're confused.