• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning to make a video for newcomers to guns regarding holster and gun selection

Michigander

imported post

Where: Mark Cortis’s office. 1312 N. Campbell Royal Oak, MI 48067 Suite# 130 Wild West Academy

An old google street view pic http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/OC pictures/office.jpg

It's very easy to find, just south of 12 mile on Cambell, across the street from a school.
When: Saturday, October 31, 9:30 am

What to bring: Lots of various CC and OC rigs and handguns.

***Handguns to be used in the movie MUST be unloaded, preferably with the slide locked back and in a case as an added safety precaution. ***

Lunch will be available across the street at the Royal Cafe, but you can also pack one, or leave before then.

I’ve mentioned before that I thought it would be a good idea to make a video on how to select a handgun and holster, or how to select a holster, or how to safely use what someone might already have. What happened to me last year with my CZ, and the ND incident that happened recently convinced me we should probably do it. So basically the main point here is to consider safety. Things like capacity and accuracy probably aren't so important to discuss.

I was talking to Mark Cortis from the Wild West Academy CPL training school, and he agreed with me, saying that students ask him all the time about how to select a holster and/or handgun. He and I and a couple people he works with ate lunch today to talk about this. Everyone there agreed it would be a good idea. The thing is, they’re mostly concealed carriers, so doing this movie from the perspective of both CC and OC will require our assistance.

The idea is that not only will it provide possible recruits to MOC, and business to the WWA, it could also provide useful information to anyone who looks it up on youtube. We’re planning on filming it with Mark’s VADO, which is a handy little HD video camera.

As I said up top, if you come please bring lots of handguns and holsters so that they can all be compared. This is still in the planning stages, and any input is highly appreciated. We want to make a good and informative video. This is the rough draft of the outline I’ve made.

Selecting a holster and handgun, a brief video by Michigan open carriers and the Wild West Academy.

Approximately 30 minutes long, but longer if needed.

Done as a panel discussion, with separate demonstrations on drawing techniques also with possible later live fire demos. To be edited and chopped up later, perhaps splicing the demo's straight into the panel discussion.

Subjects will include, but are not limited to

All types of holsters, and their safe, proper, and effective use. IWB, shoulder, OWB, all levels of retention holsters. Specific analysis on:
- Cost
- Safety
- Comfort
- Speed
- Durability
- Concealability and/or retention where applicable
- How to use properly and what role it’s best suited for

All types of decent handguns that someone might have, from a repro colt walker to a Ruger SR9, and how to carry them safely. Evaluating each for
- Drop safety
- Cost
- Safe and proper carry condition
- Proper ways to load and unload

Also possible to go over will be magazine pouches and gun belts.

Evil Creamsicle already told me he'd get involved, but who else is interested in helping?

cabman1

imported post

I would come but probably But you would't wanna use my cheap gun or holster.I know there will be alot of others joining in to help.Could we also get a copy I beleave we are going to try to start an introduction to ocing class.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Excellent idea, Michigander. You guys are consistentlydoing some swell things in the Great Lakes State.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Sounds like a good idea. I am in the area and would like to support this. I am sure that some of these are out there on YouTube, but some additional ones couldn't hurt.

I would think that you could do the following shorts (1 video per topic, 5-10 minutes) (random.thoughts):

1. Handgun Selection Pros/Cons Discussion (Semi-Auto or Revolver, Compact or Full Size, Minimum Caliber Size).
2. Holster Selection Pros/Cons Discussion (Shoulder, Cross-Draw, Thigh, IWB, Paddle, etc) (Retention - Active/Passive).
3. Carry Conditions Pros/Cons Discussion (http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm)

I have a Ruger GP100 4" with Galco Belt Holster and S&W M&P 9/45 with Galco IWB and Fobus Paddle Holsters.

(Edited for clarity).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Does it have to be on Halloween? I get scared on that day, scared I won't get enough candy...haaaa BoooooooooooBoooooooooo.

No, but really, on Halloween?

I would like to come just to give a fat mans perspective on both OC and CC.

Michigander

imported post

ALL perspectives are important! If you only have a Hi Point and an Uncle Mikes or something similar, and you have a system that works, then you have valid and important first hand knowledge that you can share if you want to. Or if you have 20 pistols and 60 holsters, you'll also have valid viewpoints.

About the date, I don't know that anyone realized it was halloween. If that ends up being a problem for a lot of people, it could probably be postponed or scheduled sooner. But it pretty much has to be a Saturday for Mark.

Michigander

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Sounds like a good idea. I am in the area and would like to support this. I am sure that some of these are out there on YouTube, but some additional ones couldn't hurt.

I would think that you could do the following shorts (1 video per topic, 5-10 minutes) (random.thoughts):

1. Handgun Selection Pros/Cons Discussion (Semi-Auto or Revolver, Compact or Full Size, Minimum Caliber Size).
2. Holster Selection Pros/Cons Discussion (Shoulder, Cross-Draw, Thigh, IWB, Paddle, etc) (Retention - Active/Passive).
3. Carry Conditions Pros/Cons Discussion (http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm)

I have a Ruger GP100 4" with Galco Belt Holster and S&W M&P 9/45 with Galco IWB and Fobus Paddle Holsters.

(Edited for clarity).

I'm thinking the way to do this is fast, fast, fast. Brief introductions to guns and holsters that will give new comers fundamental knowledge without having to do research for weeks on end.

That said, there is nothing to stop us from filming as much as we want to, and editing the garbage out later. So it's all good.

Something else to consider is that we can add separate footage taken later, or ripped straight from youtube, and put it on the video.

My main concern is to keep it very informative, but as snappy as possible. Making it some what entertaining would also be nice.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:

(Edited for clarity).

I'm thinking the way to do this is fast, fast, fast. Brief introductions to guns and holsters that will give new comers fundamental knowledge without having to do research for weeks on end.

That said, there is nothing to stop us from filming as much as we want to, and editing the garbage out later. So it's all good.

Something else to consider is that we can add separate footage taken later, or ripped straight from youtube, and put it on the video.

My main concern is to keep it very informative, but as snappy as possible. Making it some what entertaining would also be nice.
My thought was that most people will not have the patience for more than 10 minutes per segment, especially if on YouTube. For a DVD, you could have each segment as a separate chapter that would play in order (one after another).

autosurgeon

imported post

I am here to tell you that as teacher 10 min is perfect for a video. Any more and people have to be extremely interested to stay focused.

This is coming from a teacher who instructs hands on learners... The kids the other teacher don't know what to do with :lol:

Radioman

imported post

Sure Michigander,

I'll do everything I can to attend. Lets see, J-Frame in a pocket holster or belt holster, 1911 in a leather belt holster, M+P c in an IWB and a 92FS in a Serpa. And mag holsters for a few also. Should be interesting.

(And I might even have enough belt room and/or belt holding power to do all of that at once without losing my drawers) :cool:

Radioman

autosurgeon

imported post

Radioman wrote:
Sure Michigander,

I'll do everything I can to attend.  Lets see, J-Frame in a pocket holster or belt holster, 1911 in a leather belt holster, M+P c in an IWB and a 92FS in a Serpa.  And mag holsters for a few also.  Should be interesting. 

(And I might even have enough belt room and/or belt holding power to do all of that at once without losing my drawers) :cool:

Radioman

Suspenders.... :celebrate

Radioman

imported post

LOL ... that might give it away if I was to go in concealing all of that while wearing suspenders and a belt.

With a few of the items that I normally wear in colder months I should be able to pull this off so long as I can keep my jeans up while doing so. :what:Wouldn't that give an anti a heart attack if they knew what we could do.

Might have to try that tomorrow and see how it goes around the house before work. Guess that gives me a task to do in the morning. All of those with at least one reload for each concealed with normal colder weather dress minus an overcoat. See if I can actually do it. If I can, then show up that way for the video shoot and have the viewers (figuratively) guess how many guns and reloads I am carrying (maybe a panel member or two that doesnt read here also) then show them one at a time.

Radioman