• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Site for Barrett Fans

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

You must be fortunate enough to have larger open fields to shoot across. Except for maybe punching paper at the range, I have never been able to justify getting any of the light and fast rounds. .223 does the job forsmall critters at the ranges I shoot them. One of these days I will pick up a new rifle in .204 or .22-250.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I bought my .17 Remington, while a student at Idaho National Engineering Laboratory - Naval Reactors Facility in 1970, to shoot jackrabbits and at the behest of one of my instructors. I was present when he killed a coyote at extreme range, using about a meter holdover, with his .17 under a huge Redfield scope.

The extreme range shooting community was very active then and there, with many instructors building '1000 yard rifles'.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I bought my .17 Remington, while a student at Idaho National Engineering Laboratory - Naval Reactors Facility in 1970, to shoot jackrabbits and at the behest of one of my instructors. I was present when he killed a coyote at extreme range, using about a meter holdover, with his .17 under a huge Redfield scope.

The extreme range shooting community was very active then and there, with many instructors building '1000 yard rifles'.

I built a 1000ydrifle for F-Class a couple of years ago and have yet to compete with it. 6.5x25WSSM-AI is the fun caliber I went with. 2900 fps out of a 142gr SMK.

Recently I built a rifle for shooting large game at longer ranges. Went with .338 Remington Ultra Mag as the caliber. Should have plenty of ft-lbs left to humanely take an Elk out to about 1200 yards; with the proper nut behind the trigger of course.

As for small and fast; I like my .220 swift or my 243WSSM. I used my swift for anything that was in season for many years and never had any problems. I recently switched to the WSSM for deer after flirting with one of my 300WSM's for a year or two.

Never owned a .17 REM. Whether it's true or not, that's probably due to always hearing that the barrels fouled up like buggers. I can only take the scent of amonia for so long.;)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Never owned a .17 REM. Whether it's true or not, that's probably due to always hearing that the barrels fouled up like buggers. I can only take the scent of ammonia for so long.;)
Leading was definitely a big problem with the original load. Its effects could be seen after a half-dozen shots and precision suffered by ten shots. I understand that it was the reason that the velocity was steadily reduced to the current 4000+ fps.

Many years later I directed a process that cleaned corrosion products out of the secondary/steam circuit of reactor plants using NH4OH ammonia (and EDTA, EDA, N2H2) in thousand gallon volumes. It was sparged/stirred with comparable volumes of N2 bubbled through it and vented to the atmosphere. Walking to work the ammonia was refreshing.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
Never owned a .17 REM. Whether it's true or not, that's probably due to always hearing that the barrels fouled up like buggers. I can only take the scent of ammonia for so long.;)
Leading was definitely a big problem with the original load. Its effects could be seen after a half-dozen shots and precision suffered by ten shots. I understand that it was the reason that the velocity was steadily reduced to the current 4000+ fps.

I guess that would be a pretty good reason to tone down the load. I wonder how they would do with the newer "Barnes" style solid copper alloy bullets.......

Doug Huffman wrote:
Walking to work the ammonia was refreshing.
:shock:

You can still get that feeling if you'd like. Walk onto the L-train in Chicago; the smell ofpiss and shattered dreams.....

protias

imported post

I really would like the .416, but I suppose practice with the 98 Bravo would be good to do before hand. :p

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
You must be fortunate enough to have larger open fields to shoot across. Except for maybe punching paper at the range, I have never been able to justify getting any of the light and fast rounds. .223 does the job forsmall critters at the ranges I shoot them. One of these days I will pick up a new rifle in .204 or .22-250.
I regularly shoot at 300 yds at the Boulder Junction gun-club range, thenin fallI take off thetarget scope, drop on a 3x9, and load with Barnes XLC copper (blue coating) hollow-points that weigh53 grains. I am interested in their newest polymer tipped round, but they do not have it in that caliber. The Hornady tipped rounds are highly frangible, I would not feel confident with them penetrating enoughin deer sized game, Especually if you catch a bone on the way in.
I have taken many deer with the barnesround, And only had 1 pass-thru shot. (A neck shot) The deer drop like a bag of potatoes from that light zippy little bullet, and itdoes not leave a complete mess inside of the deer. Most of my deer shots are well under 100 yards due to the terrain up here. But if a 300+ yard shot presented itself, I would be confident in both the round and my aim.

In the next week or so,I hope to see how my jacketed target round does on Coyotes (52 grain Jacketed speerHPBT) I think atthat velocity it might spin the jacket right off the lead core. I have seen that happen, but not out of my rifle. It leaves a gray streak downrange when it happens, just like a contrail.

One other round I am curious to try, take 30-06 brass , and load a .224 diameter barnes solid bullet in it with a plastic sabot to make up for the size difference. That should be a real ripper. I wonder how fast I could push it without it tumbling? It would give me a chance to shoot my 30-06 more if it worked well. My gun dealer has the correct sized sabots in stock for it. (I think it wouldmake ituntraceable with no rifling marks on the bullet??) Anyone else every try sabot rounds in rifles?

My shoulders are wrecked, sotaking a beating from .30 cal or larger is too darn painful for me without usinga wussie-bag between my shoulder and the stock.