• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC from Central to South

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This will probably get nuked because it doesn't involve smog, muggers or irate cops...but what the H, it's how I live.

My day started at 2:00 am. I had the 1911 on and got out of the house at 2:30 and stopped at the Mechanicsville 7-11 for coffee and cigarettes.
I did make the clerk nervous because he was counting his drawer and no one else was around and it was a quarter to three. Didn't say anything, just looked scared.

So on to work. I was hauling a grader box and stopped for breakfast on the way at Chula Junction. It didn't phase the woman there. I got to the farm just before daybreak and changed to the BFR. Graded one of my roads (about a mile long).

Then I went to the range for a while. It was load testing morning. I had over 200 rounds to test in three calibers, two bullet weights each and several different powders.

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

I hate to admit it, but the 45/70 with 400 grain JBSP's at 1900 fps, gave me a pounding.

The .308 was next at 100 yards and it went without a hitch, then the 25/06 That needed some distance. I shot a sight in group at 100 yards
DSCN0027.jpg

Not great, but OK and I shot them in a hurry. This is the hundred yard range.

DSCN0029.jpg

To get two hundred an fifty yards, I had to move a portable stand to the treeline
DSCN0030.jpg

After testing everything I had with the 25/06, mu best 250 yard group..

DSCN0028.jpg

I'll take it any day because I can't shoot worth a damn anymore:X

On to Victoria. I saaw one Cop there. I was taking pictures and he slowed down enough to wave. Tough place:lol:

Back to the farm and back to the BFR.

I put up a new stand in some newly planted pines.

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

And since I have an appointment tomorrow in Richmond, came back to the burbs.

This is how I spend my days!

ClumsyCandy

imported post

I'm assuming the "range" is your property? : ) Looks great! Wish my parents had more than the 3 acres so I felt safer about shootin' in the back yard! It's such a haul to drive all the way out to Buckingham/Disputanta everytime we want to shoot the AR/Ak's!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
I'm assuming the "range" is your property? : ) Looks great! Wish my parents had more than the 3 acres so I felt safer about shootin' in the back yard! It's such a haul to drive all the way out to Buckingham/Disputanta everytime we want to shoot the AR/Ak's!
No, It's the gun club I belong to but it's only a few miles from the farm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:

DSCN0028.jpg
That's nice shooting in any one's book, Don.

"I hate to admit it, but the 45/70 with 400 grain JBSP's at 1900 fps, gave me a pounding." That is a high speed freight train !!

2:30 AM. You are getting up about the time I go to bed sometimes. :)

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:

"I hate to admit it, but the 45/70 with 400 grain JBSP's at 1900 fps, gave me a pounding." That is a high speed freight train !!

2:30 AM. You are getting up about the time I go to bed sometimes. :)

Yata hey
You assked me once, how I managed to farm, photograph, build and hunt....that's the answer, no sleep:lol:

This week, I'll be working loads up on the 735 CBB.
That 600 grain slug really is a freight train. One should alway use enough gun.:what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
This week, I'll be working loads up on the 735 CBB.
That 600 grain slug really is a freight train. One should alway use enough gun.:what:
Take both hands to load that darn thing.

What do you shoot with a 600 grain, excepting the category "anything I want?" How many feet per do you push that thing and who's shoulder do you use when sighting in?

I have referred to .22 mag derringer as my fly shooter - more sporting to shoot them on the wing, don't you know.

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

600 GR? That's only slightly "smaller" than the rounds shot from the Browning .50 cal machine gun. THAT is quite a round.

What do you shoot with that? Aircraft, Elephants or bad guys trying to usethe engine block of an F-350 for "cover"... :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
600 GR? That's only slightly "smaller" than the rounds shot from the Browning .50 cal machine gun. THAT is quite a round.

What do you shoot with that? Aircraft, Elephants or bad guys trying to usethe engine block of an F-350 for "cover"... :D
Don't know yet. I just built it.:(