• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Experience at St. Joseph's Hospital

kenshin

imported post

Well, not exactly at the hospital. It was at the health clinic just across the street, but is a part of the hospital grounds.

I drove my girlfriend there for an appt. with her doctor. I parked, we walked in, checked in at the desk and sat down for the painfully long wait. No sideways glances or glares, despite my OC'd Kimber.

After waiting about 15 minutes, a group of 3 security guards walk in and proceed to speak with the attendants at the check-in window. Sure enough, they were there for me. I spoke with the person who was obviously the leader of the group and was actually greatly impressed with his understanding of OC vs. private propertly laws. He told me that it was indeed against hospital policy to allow firearms, I asked for a written copy of the policy, which he asked one of the other guards to go get for me.

We talked for a while, turns out that he's also a gun guy and carries often, but he has to follow policy.

I pointed out that there were no signs on the entrance to the building. He looked and when he saw none, he turned to the ladies at the window and told them that they need to put up signs since there was no way that an individual could be expected to know about every hospital policy. They said they would.

Although, I didn't like it, I did lock my gun up in my vehicle, since my girlfriend really needed to keep the appointment. And, even though I don't agree with the policy, the security guards were very helpful and respectful. None of that "Do as I say" crap that I've gotten at a couple other places.

Hammer

imported post

I have found most all hospitals have the same policy. At least in your case security was helpful in thier contact, not belligerant or nasty.
How many have heard of the story of the cop who took his gun off for an MRI, and when the MRI was lit up, it attracted the gun and had an AD?
Wierd....

kenshin

imported post

Hammer wrote:
I have found most all hospitals have the same policy. At least in your case security was helpful in thier contact, not belligerant or nasty.
How many have heard of the story of the cop who took his gun off for an MRI, and when the MRI was lit up, it attracted the gun and had an AD?
Wierd....

Yea, I read about that story. If I recall, it was an off-duty LEO.

Vandal

imported post

That is actually a pretty good response for hospital security. It sucks that their policy doesn't agree with us but I would like to thank you for giving OCers a good name and respecting the Private Property rights. being polite and respectful goes a long way in how we are treated.

Perhaps you should send an atta-boys letter to the security folks complimenting them on their professionalism and customer service.

Bobarino

imported post

wow! that MRI story is pretty amazing. talk about a 1 in a million chance.

i've CC'd into Tacoma General before, into my oncologist's office. he just said "hmmmm" when he had to lift my shirt to listen to my lungs. he didn't care and neither did the nurses despite their no weapons policy (which i didn't know about at the time).

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Some time ago I post a thread about hospitals in Washington adopting a no weapons policy due to a misread state law requiring them to reduce workplace violence.
I know for a fact St Joseph's, Mary Bridge, Tacoma General & Group Health ALL have a no weapons policy. Group Health went so far as to say they would drop coverage for an individual. I'll find it and repost.