• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying Gun In Vehicle

gungho84

imported post

Anyone have a link to the state laws regarding carrying your gun in your vehicle? My dad seems to think that unless you have your concealed weapons permit, you can only have your gun in your vehicle if it is not accessible to the driver.

So would having it in my case, in the back seat of my truck work? Then where I park I can get out and take it out and put it in my holster?

I'm new to the idea of open carrying and would really like to know all my rights before I start. I'm a bit nervous about it. Which is why I joined this forum.

johnnyd74

imported post

from what i've read, you have to put it behind the seat passg. side, if its in a reg. cab pick-up

as far as a crew or ext. cab i would put it behind as well, so you cant reach it while in drivers seat.

im new also and have yet to oc.

just read everything you can on here alot of info................then read it AGAIN!!

gungho84

imported post

Do you have a concealed weapons permit? Or are you planning on just open carry?

I'm planning on getting my concealed carry permit this year. A few places near where I am are offering the class this month.

I found this; which is greatly confusing me. It says something about having the gun safety inspected. However, when I went to the Sherrifs office (I only bought the gun Sunday) they said nothing about having it safety inspected. Plus, number 3 in the paragraph below says "While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business." Does this count as shopping? Groceries are considered goods, so would I be allowed to take my gun in my vehicle to then open carry at the grocery store?

2) If you don’t have a CPL, you must transport your handgun as prescribe by law. Michigan State Police Web Site. Transporting a pistol in a motor vehicle? Answer A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. The law defines ‘lawful purpose’ as: 1) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area. 2) While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair. 3) While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business. 4) While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol. 5) While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale. 6) While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted. 7) While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

gungho84

imported post

That's the kicker. I don't have a trunk. I have a truck. It's got extended cab, so there's a backseat. I wonder if it'd be possible to store it in the furthest corner from the driver? Hmm. Something I'll need to look into further.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Welcome to the community.

I believe you want to refer to the 750.227c, 750.227d and 750.231a of the Michigan Legislature as for transportation in a vehicle. (correct me if i'm wrong)

http://legislature.mi.gov/

As for your truck, yes, furthest inaccessable point from the driver is acceptable, providing you follow all the other transportation laws.

As for open carry, yes, it's a VERY good idea to read everything multiple times. Be confident in yourself and your knowledge.

I think I have a very good understanding of open carry, but I still get nervous doing it sometimes. (I'm somewhat new to it also)

Learning how to fondle the search function so she gives you what you want can be a difficult task :)

lapeer20m

imported post

here is the actual text:

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
http://legislature.mi.gov/%28S%282jknqoy51ndeah45lonqfy45%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-750-231a&query=on&highlight=pistol%20AND%20trunk

i do not have a link to the court case that basically said that having a pistol in a closed case behind the Drivers seat does not necessarily meet the standard. That's why another poster said it should be behind the Passenger seat.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

The law says:

Unloaded
Encased
Inaccessible

If transporting in a trunk-less vehicle I suggest doing so this way.

Unloaded
Encased (not wrapped in a towel)
Locked (locked case, trigger lock,cable lock)
On the floor away from driver
Keep ammo whether in a magazine or not in another container.

Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. The problem is that some cops don't understand the letter of law and will try to bind you up.

If you take a bit more precaution as to have another "layer" of inaccessibility (locked) then if a cop does cite you for improperly transporting it will be a slam dunk when you fight it in court.

Cover your A$$ !

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

dougwg wrote:
The law says:

Unloaded
Encased
Inaccessible

If transporting in a trunk-less vehicle I suggest doing so this way.

Unloaded
Encased (not wrapped in a towel)
Locked (locked case, trigger lock,cable lock)
On the floor away from driver
Keep ammo whether in a magazine or not in another container.

Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. The problem is that some cops don't understand the letter of law and will try to bind you up.

If you take a bit more precaution as to have another "layer" of inaccessibility (locked) then if a cop does cite you for improperly transporting it will be a slam dunk when you fight it in court.

Cover your A$$ !
I agree, in the event one does not have a trunk.