Thread: OT: Legality of receiving a gun as a gift

Post imported post

I recently had my 22nd Birthday and a family member who couldnt be here to see me asked me recently what I wanted for my birthday, so I told them I wanted a pistol. After stating that, I was thinking to myself if this was a legal thing to do. So I am curious, is it ok for someone to buy another person a gun as a gift?

Post imported post

yes

Post imported post

I have given my father a Glock, derringer, and 2 rifles. so I hope it is

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Unless it is a phaser... phasers don't require anything....
    Har Har :quirky

Banned

Post imported post

do not believeyou need to go through a ffl to transfer a weapon if it goes to family even if different states.

butit depends on the state since some ban capacity or type

Post imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
    do not believeyou need to go through a ffl to transfer a weapon if it goes to family even if different states.
    It does need to go through an FFL if it's interstate.

There is an exception for that in the case of a bequest situation.

Post imported post

I must admit the whole shipping of a firearm is pretty absurd, I can't legally ship a gun to me from myself in another state and If I do and get caught I become a felon and lose all my rights. The whole waiting period is whack too I though we had instant background checks? I guess it's weird because I come from Alaska and remember my Dad going into a gun store and in a few minutes walking out with a gun (no cpl required).

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    I must admit the whole shipping of a firearm is pretty absurd, I can't legally ship a gun to me from myself in another state and If I do and get caught I become a felon and lose all my rights.
    Not true.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    I must admit the whole shipping of a firearm is pretty absurd, I can't legally ship a gun to me from myself in another state and If I do and get caught I become a felon and lose all my rights. The whole waiting period is whack too I though we had instant background checks? I guess it's weird because I come from Alaska and remember my Dad going into a gun store and in a few minutes walking out with a gun (no cpl required).
    As bcp already pointed out, you may use a common carrier to transport your firearm care of another person to yourself. The law does become a bit iffy on what you're allowed to do once you have received it. If you are present and the state allows legal private transfers, I do not know how it would be perceived if you shipped a gun to yourself, showed up, received it, then gave it away. That may be considered interstate transferring via common carrier, though it's arguable.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Banned

Post imported post

i said did not believe.

and you done hack jobing the pamphlet with yourincorrect info yet?

Banned

Post imported post

no one ever said it need to be changed except for you it seems. and hanks your friend.

I gues you make your copy and everyone else will have theirs

Banned

Post imported post

and maybe when you stop bending over and sucking th eman, you'll lern to just **** since you dont know anymore than the rest of us so get the **** off your high hose

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:
    and maybe when you stop bending over and sucking th eman, you'll lern to just **** since you dont know anymore than the rest of us so get the @#$% off your high hose
    The words of a true scholar!
    Look, I just asked to see if it was legal to receive a gun as a gift. Could we at least stop with the sniping here?

Banned

Post imported post

you know how it is somepeople need to join the navy since no one else would take them

but honestly don't take what you hear here to heart. contact the atf directly. or an attorney

Post imported post

Washington doesn't require this but you can do it.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

Of course it's not a good idea if you don't want the state knowing you own the pistol.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

If the firearm is transferred in person between family members I do not believe there is a problem. Residency should have no effect on the transfer if the parties are both able to legally own the firearm in question. As the firearm is a gift there is no interstate commerce involved and therefore no federal government involvement. It is wholly a private matter and governmental intervention is unlikely.

Banned

Post imported post

don't put your friends down