• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Legality of receiving a gun as a gift

tannerwaterbury

imported post

I recently had my 22nd Birthday and a family member who couldnt be here to see me asked me recently what I wanted for my birthday, so I told them I wanted a pistol. After stating that, I was thinking to myself if this was a legal thing to do. So I am curious, is it ok for someone to buy another person a gun as a gift?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

do not believeyou need to go through a ffl to transfer a weapon if it goes to family even if different states.

butit depends on the state since some ban capacity or type

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
do not believeyou need to go through a ffl to transfer a weapon if it goes to family even if different states.

It does need to go through an FFL if it's interstate.

There is an exception for that in the case of a bequest situation.

FunkTrooper

imported post

I must admit the whole shipping of a firearm is pretty absurd, I can't legally ship a gun to me from myself in another state and If I do and get caught I become a felon and lose all my rights. The whole waiting period is whack too I though we had instant background checks? I guess it's weird because I come from Alaska and remember my Dad going into a gun store and in a few minutes walking out with a gun (no cpl required).

bcp

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I must admit the whole shipping of a firearm is pretty absurd, I can't legally ship a gun to me from myself in another state and If I do and get caught I become a felon and lose all my rights.

Not true.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Tawnos

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I must admit the whole shipping of a firearm is pretty absurd, I can't legally ship a gun to me from myself in another state and If I do and get caught I become a felon and lose all my rights. The whole waiting period is whack too I though we had instant background checks? I guess it's weird because I come from Alaska and remember my Dad going into a gun store and in a few minutes walking out with a gun (no cpl required).
As bcp already pointed out, you may use a common carrier to transport your firearm care of another person to yourself. The law does become a bit iffy on what you're allowed to do once you have received it. If you are present and the state allows legal private transfers, I do not know how it would be perceived if you shipped a gun to yourself, showed up, received it, then gave it away. That may be considered interstate transferring via common carrier, though it's arguable.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

i said did not believe.

and you done hack jobing the pamphlet with yourincorrect info yet?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

no one ever said it need to be changed except for you it seems. and hanks your friend.

I gues you make your copy and everyone else will have theirs

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

and maybe when you stop bending over and sucking th eman, you'll lern to just stfu since you dont know anymore than the rest of us so get the **** off your high hose

tannerwaterbury

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Boo Boo wrote:
and maybe when you stop bending over and sucking th eman, you'll lern to just stfu since you dont know anymore than the rest of us so get the @#$% off your high hose
The words of a true scholar!
Look, I just asked to see if it was legal to receive a gun as a gift. Could we at least stop with the sniping here? :uhoh:

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

you know how it is somepeople need to join the navy since no one else would take them :)

but honestly don't take what you hear here to heart. contact the atf directly. or an attorney

virgil47

imported post

If the firearm is transferred in person between family members I do not believe there is a problem. Residency should have no effect on the transfer if the parties are both able to legally own the firearm in question. As the firearm is a gift there is no interstate commerce involved and therefore no federal government involvement. It is wholly a private matter and governmental intervention is unlikely.