• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Angelo

usaf0906

imported post

So I just found out I am getting stationed in San Angelo at Goodfellow AFB starting in april. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that is from there or that area that could provide some information on shooting ranges (indoor and outdoor) and other info on the area.

Thanks for your help.

/prays Texas goes OC soon:banghead:

/glad Texas honors Virginia permit:celebrate

Rush Creek

imported post

I was stationed at Goodfellow back in the 1960's, and I retired in San Angelo. I think San Angelo is a very nice city, and the surrounding area offers alot of good fishing & huntiing opportunities. For the life of me though I can't refer you to a range. I haven't lived there since 1984 .Have you googled for a San Angelo shooting range or club ? Wait a minute. Check out Goodfellow. They used to have a hunting club on base.....

I think you will enjoy San Angelo, and Goodfellow used to be an excellent assignment. San Angelo is big enough to have just about anything you need , but still not a "big town". Pretty conservative area, andvery firearm friendly. Time changes some things, but not so much San Angelo.

You are about 75 miles from Mason County which has the largest whitetail population in Texas. Junction, Menard are also good deer hunting areas. Goodfellow has a private "club" I guess it is called out at Lake Nasworthy- a nice facility with boat rentals, a swimming beach etc.etc

You may not want to leave once you get there. I still miss San Angelo.

When Texas allows OC - San Angelo will be one of the first towns it will be practiced in - I gaaarantee it !

Folks routinely packed handguns in San Angelo long before it was "legal" in other parts of Texas. It just wasn't a big deal. Title 10 46.02 wasn't recognized and sure wasn't enforced. Things may have changed but I doubt it. Things don't change much in San Angelo.

usaf0906

imported post

Thank you Harper for that link, and thank you Rush for the information.

I was at Goodfellow for about 9 months in 05/06, so the area isnt completely foreign to me. I was hoping there was some people from San Angelo on these forums, but it seems there isnt.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Actually, I think a new member in another thread mentioned that he was in San Angelo (or maybe that was you? But I don't think so...) I will try to watch for that thread again and point you towards it.

Many 'small towns' in Texas could be referred to as "10 miles ahead, and 10 years behind" many West Texas towns you could add some to both of those numbers; and most towns regardless of their 'actual' size, are still 'small towns' here in Texas! For me anyway, this is a good thing! I'm sure you will enjoy it! Welcome to Texas! (almost...)

DocNTexas

imported post

cbackous wrote:
So I just found out I am getting stationed in San Angelo at Goodfellow AFB starting in april. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that is from there or that area that could provide some information on shooting ranges (indoor and outdoor) and other info on the area.

Thanks for your help.

/prays Texas goes OC soon:banghead:

/glad Texas honors Virginia permit:celebrate

cbackous,

There are a number of shooting options in San Angelo.

The San Angelo Gun Club has anice facility about5 miles west of town on Arden Road. It has ranges out to 200 yards and numerous pistol lines. They offer just about any kind of rifle and pistol shooting fun you can imagine. http://www.sanangelogunclub.org/home.htm

For long range riflework thereis Spindler Arms (Area 52) Range at Robert Lee, Texas, about 35 miles north of San Angelo on Hwy. 208. It offersa true 1K range with electronic targets. While not necessarily close by, it is worth the drive for an afternoon of shooting if you like longrange shooting. http://www.spindlerarms.com/

For Claybird fun there is the San Angelo Claybird Association Range 10 miles west of town on Hwy 67. They have 3 full sporting clay walk-through ranges, 6 trap/skeet ranges and 5-stand. http://www.sanangeloclays.com/

Theindoorrangein San Angelo has since closed, so all local ranges are now governed by the elements. The closest indoor range that I am aware of is Abilene Indoor Gun Range on Ben Richey Drive in Abilene, Texas, about 90 miles away. Too far just to shoot a box or two, but if youplan to spend the day in Abilene for other reasons you can always swing by.

These are all good facilities and the people are very nice (most of them anyway). I hope this helps and although in the middle of nowhere I think you will like San Angelo. It is a nice town and they maintaina good relationshipwith Goodfellow AFB.

WELCOME TO TEXAS!

Doc

usaf0906

imported post

Thank you Doc. You dont know how excited I was when I saw your mention of the 1K rifle range. While i dont own a rifle (yet), I have always enjoyed distance shooting and would love to get back in to it.

Anyone know where i can get a Remington 700 in .308? :lol:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cbackous wrote:
Thank you Doc. You dont know how excited I was when I saw your mention of the 1K rifle range. While i dont own a rifle (yet), I have always enjoyed distance shooting and would love to get back in to it.

Actually, I believe that I saw one at Champion Firearms the other day! They are a local gun store here in College Station, but have a good web store too!

DocNTexas

imported post

cbackous wrote:

Field & Stream in San Angelo has a nice selection of long-range toys. They have numerous bolt actions, M1 and M14 style rifles. They are not necessarily cheap but not over the top either. Check them out when you get to SA.

Doc

smc1987

imported post

Edit..

Saw someone answered already. Town is pretty boring unless you like out doors stuff. I'm stationed down there as well.