• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why the locked thread

MT GUNNY

imported post

So instead of locking, how about delete the post? seems kind of fishy when the mere mention of a Radio program can lock a thread, at least the particular Program was relevant to the Discussion.

JBin I have Found that it is useless to try convince mods to your way of thinking, it will be a futile attempt! Good luck anyway!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

JBinMontana wrote:
... the people of Montana as well as here on this forum have a right to discuss this topic at will.
Not so. This is a private, rather than governmental, forum and there are no Rights here. The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech..." Private entities may censor at will.

TFred

imported post

Couple of thoughts.

Yes, the people of Montana, and yes, the people on this forum, absolutely have the right to discuss whatever they want to discuss.

What they don't have the right to is to use the resources of this privately owned forum to do so. We are all here at the courtesy of John and Mike. That's pretty much the end of the story.

Also, as I see it, locking a thread is one step before deleting a thread. If a thread offends somewhat, or perhaps the owners believe it will soon degrade substantially, it can be locked to prevent further violation. By that action, they are saying that it hasn't gotten so bad that they don't want anyone else to see what has already been said. Remember, the owners are just two folks like the rest of us, they don't have the time or the desire to babysit a potentially volatile thread just in case it turns south.

If the thread gets deleted, it's passed an even deeper threshold, and the owners are saying not only will we stop talking about this, we don't even want anyone to see how bad it got. I tend to think of a locked thread as a little bit of a friendly warning to always be careful that you are furthering the goals of the forum, and not detracting from the community as a whole. If you've been deleted, you crossed the line. Again, that's how I see it, and that may have no correlation whatsoever to how the owners see it.

For what its worth... YMMV...

TFred

spiritof76

imported post

The forum rules require threads to be reasonably related to open carry. General freedom-related issues unrelated to O.C. don't qualify.

MontanaCZ

imported post

Considering the stuff that gets through on GD, then by that measure GD should be locked. One of the reasons that I don't go there anymore.

Also, it is usually pertinent to post to the thread why it is being locked before locking it, then these discussions have less a chance of happening. Maybe I need to decide if I should continue to even come here..

-CZ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MontanaCZ wrote:
Considering the stuff that gets through on GD, then by that measure GD should be locked. One of the reasons that I don't go there anymore.

Also, it is usually pertinent to post to the thread why it is being locked before locking it, then these discussions have less a chance of happening. Maybe I need to decide if I should continue to even come here..

-CZ
The inconsistency is a function of the lack of time the moderators have to police the forum. Ditto for explaining why.

I wish you would stay. I've learned tons and tons on this forum. For me it has far outweighed any annoyance over lack of moderation or inconsistent moderation.