• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A strange "Are you a cop" comment

Daddyo

imported post

A couple of days ago, I was on a field trip with my wife and daughter. We were hanging out in the parking lot with some of the other families when a guy came up and asked if I had a coat hanger. It seemed a lady had locked her keys in her RUNING car and all he had was a 5.11 Gear hanger (that's one tough hanger!).

We were able to break it by wiggling it back and forth and make a slim-jim out of it, but while we were trying to shape a hook on the end, he mentioned that he wished he had his pliers and I responded that I had left mine in my bag from when my daughter and I went to the range the day before.

He then looks up and asks if I was a cop. I noticed then that his cap said "Port Authority Police" or something to that effect and he was using a nylon pistol belt to hold up his britches. Don't know if he was legit LEO, or wanna be but either way it seemed odd that he thought only cops would go to the range. He seemed really worried when I related that I had taken my 8 year old daughter along so she could shoot her pink Crikett (that child HATES Barney!).

BTW- book signing for "Victim Selection Error" at The Little Professor in Homewood Friday, Oct. 9, from 11am to 1 pm

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Daddyo wrote:
... either way it seemed odd that he thought only cops would go to the range.

Sounds pretty normal for the general population.

Illogical, but not abnormal, I expect...

That's assuming your conclusion that his question was influenced by seeing your range bag is correct. Might not be.

Daddyo

imported post

No, he didn't see my range bag. It was back at the house. I said aloud that I had left my pliers in my range bag.

Apparently he equated the words "range bag" with LEO.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Definitely odd in this state. AL might not be carry-friendly, but it's definitely a state wherein going to the range with your kids is not only common, but condoned.