• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What was with the signs on the doors to the gun show today?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
"Firearm transfers only inside the building, anything outside the building will be prosecuted"
Makes sense to me that they would want them inside where they can control the camera access, but the "will be prosecuted" part seems more than a little over the top.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pourshot wrote:
hsmith wrote:
"Firearm transfers only inside the building, anything outside the building will be prosecuted"
Makes sense to me that they would want them inside where they can control the camera access, but the "will be prosecuted" part seems more than a little over the top.

Forgive me. What do cameras have to do with transfers? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck*; I really don't know.

* I would never dream of trying to out-smart-aleck Pourshot, the king of smart-alecks. :D

essayons

imported post

Citizen wrote:
pourshot wrote:
hsmith wrote:

Forgive me. What do cameras have to do with transfers? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck*; I really don't know.

* I would never dream of trying to out-smart-aleck Pourshot, the king of smart-alecks. :D
I think they (gun show promoters) don't want to give the local/national news crews footage of a face-to-face transfer that they will use in a 20/20 hit piece describing it as a back-alley illegal gun-show loophole fully automatic .50 caliber assault weapon baby killer deal.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

essayons wrote:
I think they (gun show promoters) don't want to give the local/national news crews footage of a face-to-face transfer that they will use in a 20/20 hit piece describing it as a back-alley illegal gun-show loophole fully automatic .50 caliber assault weapon baby killer deal.
Exactly, or maybe even something unusual.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Oh, I see. Its either a prosecution for doing a legal transfer in front of a news camera. Or, a PR move by the promoter to make it look like they are doing something about legal transfers.

I guess its time to run some expose's on the nat'l media. You know, some undercover cameras.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Oh, I see. Its either a prosecution for doing a legal transfer in front of a news camera. Or, a PR move by the promoter to make it look like they are doing something about legal transfers.

I guess its time to run some expose's on the nat'l media. You know, some undercover cameras.
It would have been nice to have been able to do that in the room where they planned the 20/20 hit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:

It would have been nice to have been able to do that in the room where they planned the 20/20 hit.
That would have made a real expose; not unlike filming a crime in process.

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

ok so this morning I went back to read the sign. It is not as what was reported.

It says (give or take) "all firearms transactons must take place inside the building. People completing transactions in the parking lot may be prosecuted for tresspassing"

My guess is that the owners of the Expo Center understand that people will be bringing guns into/out of the building but they do not want people lingering around outside with their guns, trying to set up shop and sell them in the parking lot....almost like a gun free zone which I suppose is their right on their private property. There's a big sewing convention in the other building so I imagine they dont want to frighten the little old ladies.

In either case, I dont see it as a big deal.

jegoodin

imported post

Who owns the Expo Center? Perhaps we need to organize a boycot of the show.

I think this is a big deal. It is a backdoor way to prevent private sales. This is the first step in the slippery slope that everyone has been talking about.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jegoodin wrote:

I think this is a big deal. It is a backdoor way to prevent private sales. This is the first step in the slippery slope that everyone has been talking about.
How so? So I make a private sale inside or arrange to do it off property. Keeps the anti-s from getting michael moore kids of footage and does not impact the seller or the buyer unless they were not going to pay admission.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
ok so this morning I went back to read the sign. It is not as what was reported.

It says (give or take) "all firearms transactons must take place inside the building. People completing transactions in the parking lot may be prosecuted for tresspassing"

My guess is that the owners of the Expo Center understand that people will be bringing guns into/out of the building but they do not want people lingering around outside with their guns, trying to set up shop and sell them in the parking lot....almost like a gun free zone which I suppose is their right on their private property. There's a big sewing convention in the other building so I imagine they dont want to frighten the little old ladies.

It's not a big deal.

All the screaming meemies (e.g., T-shirt man Citizen) took off on the word "transfers" and start spouting constitutional infringement.....like they usually do...what drivel...

It's simply an effort to organize the chaos that sometimes occurs outside the venue in the parking lot and accessways....where gun sellers/buyers shout and joust for deals in an unorganiezed fashion. I've seen sellers just park in the parking lot, open up their trunk containing dozen arms and do the instant gun shop routine. Very gauche, actually.

On occasion, at gun shows I've gone too, the venue management has gotten stricter and advised that private sales must be completed inside the venue....and I've just, uhm, moved inside and completed my purchase or sale. No big deal.

Some people have no concern for the sensibilties of others in the area of the almighty gun transaction zone.

Let's use a little common sense, Citizen, et al., no matter how hard it is for you....I mean, give the venue (and the gun show's fellow tenants, i.e, sewing convention) a break...

Unfettered private gun sales are important--but we still have to co-exist with other entities at the gun show site. Let's be polite and accomodating while excercising one aspect of a our 2nd Amendment freedoms.

IanB

imported post

Howdy Hank, good morning to ya! Have you open carried anywhere lately? :lol:

hsmith

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I do. Lets say you park in the way yonder as the show is crowded. What if you are approaching and you see another gentleman with this amazing double barrled shotgun you have been wanting for years and it is at a good price. You start talking and agree to transfer before you get in the door.

Now, VSP has been watching like a hawk, runs up, arrests you for "trespassing" - even though you had no warning that this is not "allowed"

Still no big deal?

nova

imported post

jegoodin wrote:

The Expo Center owns the Expo Center. The gun show (C&E and Showmasters) rents the building.

The sign is there to keep a bunch of people from standing outside the place trying to sell their guns without paying to get into the show. The show is there to make money afterall.

It said nothing about FFLs/Dealers, and mentioned something about being charged with tresspassing if you violated their policy, no other crime.

ETA: I did do a double take and rolled my eyes when I saw the sign today.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Maybe they at least want your admission fee if you're going to leverage the crowd they drew.

Heyyyyy, this just made me think of something.

Why do we have to PAY to get into a gun show when all we want to do is buy guns and ammunition, a right PROTECTED by the 2nd Amendment?!?!

This country was NEVER established to charge what is virtually a TAX on gun purchases!

What is it about "shall not be infringed" that those bastidges don't understand?

WE DEMAND FREE ENTRY INTO GUN SHOWS!!!

angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif

hsmith

imported post

HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
Maybe they at least want your admission fee if you're going to leverage the crowd they drew.

Why do we have to PAY to get into a gun show when all we want to do is buy guns and ammunition, a right PROTECTED by the 2nd Amendment?!?!

This country was NEVER established to charge what is virtually a TAX on gun purchases!

What is it about "shall not be infringed" that those bastidges don't understand?

WE DEMAND FREE ENTRY INTO GUN SHOWS!!!

angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
angrysoapbox.gif
Funny how no one has asked for that. Where is the roll eyes emoticon?

Thundar

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

OK, so is the Expo Center private property? Not privately managed, but private property?

If it is not private property then they can pack sand.

If it is private property then breaking a rule is not tresspass, it is breaking a private rule. Does not come close to the elements of the crime of trespass in Virginia.

Live free or die,

Thundar

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
SNIP All the screaming meemies (e.g., T-shirt man Citizen) took off on the word "transfers" and start spouting constitutional infringement.....

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Hanky can't evendifferentiate that I was making a humorous comment in the T-shirt post. And, he can't even differentiate that I was replying to the OP report as written, before the revision about the wording.

This is the same Hanky that can ask a penetrating question to embarrass a poster over that poster's exaggeration or failure to differentiate. But, it turns out Hankyis as guilty of the offense as anybody else. So much for Hanky's superiority.

nova

imported post

hsmith wrote:
HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Funny how no one has asked for that. Where is the roll eyes emoticon?
I like this one:
rollbarf.bmp