• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting to where I want to open carry

Slugslinger

imported post

I live in Big Rapids Michigan. I know that Mi is an open carry state but how do I get my pistol to the place where I want it on my hip.

My family and I were Walleye fishing in Hemlock Park (in the city limits) my wife took my daughter to the restroom where a young girl slid under the door stall viewing my disrobed daughter. My wife told her to get out three times before she complied. On the way out my wife said to the girl "you need to learn some manners".

Ten minutes later we were attacked by 20-25 people. A LARGE man stood over me saying "I'll kill you if you get in this" (situation) From behind the person yelling at my wife a hand came out and struck my wife. The second time she struck my wife and I still from behind this other woman as i was trying to break it up.

We were very lucky as a couple was watching and called 911. The police apprehended them because I was intervening grabbing the attacker and pursing the man who threatened me when the police arrived. These people assaulted another couple days before this incident but I cant help but think that if my 9 were on my hip then these events would have never transpired.

The local police Sergeant first told me I could not carry. When I mentioned the open carry law he said I could carry it walking but even if it's locked and separated from the ammo I can't transport it or it's a CCW charge.

He seems uneducated but until I find out, my fishing spot is a no-go since this gang lives just outside the gate to the park.

How do you get your pistol to your fishing spot to open carry?

How do you get your pistol to an open carry picnic?

Ive looked all over on the web and contacted all law enforcement. I have a CD with laws that pertain to the CPL (which my wife and I are working on getting) but it don't adress this issue.

HELP

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

A few things for you. First, welcome to the site. We're happy you chose this site for your information and glad to have you as a member. Now for your concerns.

Never trust an LEO to give you correct information regarding the carry laws in your state. More often than not, they are ignorant of the laws in their entirety and certain in their finer points.

Next, spend some time on the Michigan forum to see what others have written about this topic. This is a great place to ask your questions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.